“Take Advantage of the views”

Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Friendship
Walton, Kentucky
“Take Advantage of the views”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were two couples that stayed in one of the cabins and really enjoyed it. The one bedroom has a queen size bed but the other is bunk beds so if it is two couples the one room is nicer because it is difficult for two to sleep side by side in the bunk even though it is supposed to be a double.

The golf course is great and has wonderful views of the Ohio river and the hills of Kentucky and Ohio. The staff at the golf course is very friendly and at the Lodge as well. We ate breakfast at the Lodge and it was very good and a great view of the pool and wooded area surrounding.
We will stay the entire weekend next time but hope they change the hours to check in at the cabin as 4:30 p.m. is too late and 10:00 a.m. is too early.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin to accommodate two couples.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank romanship

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Medina, OH
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I booked a room at Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center the night before my son's freshmen orientation session at Shawnee State University. The lodge offers scenic views, a peaceful setting, and a very nice outdoor pool. The buildings appeared dated and in need of renovation. We skipped breakfast after being told that a hot breakfast wouldn't be available due to non-specific issues with the kitchen. We couldn't access the lodge's Wi-Fi until right before we checked out. Overall, the staff was pleasant and the room had a rustic charm with pine paneling and vaulted ceilings in the 3rd floor rooms. Sadly, I can't recommend this facility to other travelers despite my initial hopeful expectations.

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor room facing away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PennState81
Robin M, General Manager at Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Feedback from our guests is a wonderful tool to aid in making all around improvements. We have recently renovated our cottages and have plans for upgrades in the lodge as well. Please accept my apology that we were unable to serve a hot breakfast on the day of your departure. The issue involved a propane line to our kitchen that had to be shut off for an emergency repair which resulted in the inability to offer hot food for several hours that day. Thank you for taking the time to share this information with us.
Proctorville, Ohio
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I was actually at the resort for a work conference. My family used to go to this resort almost every year as a kid and I have fond memories of those times, however, I won't be taking my family here anytime soon! I will comment on the good before commenting on the bad.

Since this was an overnight work conference, I did not have the opportunity to visit the pool, but I can say that it did look inviting. The food was also good, not excellent, but it was good and I got what I ordered the way I ordered it. I had ribeye and baked potato for dinner along with a slice of key lime cheesecake. For breakfast I got an omelet and home fries which were also tasty. I would not recommend the cheesecake as the key lime sace was just not my cup of tea. A colleague got the turtle sundae and was extremely happy with it and it did look very good.

When we checked in one of my coworkers found ticks in their bed! They told the front desk and he was moved to a cabin down the road because there were no more rooms available. It was inconvenient, but he was happy to find no ticks there, just loud neighbors who had bright lights shining and were doing some sort of "moth" experiment. The tick story made me check my room thoroughly. I found several dead gnats on my bed, but under the covers, all appeared fine. The sheets smelled like they had been laundered which made me feel better. The room temperature was comfortable. The bathroom was outdated, but served it's purpose and everything worked.

When we were in our all day meeting, the air conditioning was not working properly and we would roast and then the next day we were freezing. They also set off the tornado alarm and then stated after we hustled out to find shelter, were told they were working on the alarm.

Overall, the lodge was ok....nothing I would recommend, but nothing I would definitely say don't go either as the one person who had the ticks, got a different room. I just think the lodge needs a major renovation. I know they want it to be rustic, but even the boards outside need to be replaced or repaired. Like I said I can't comment on the amenities, but since there were no rooms available, perhaps that's a sign that appearances can be deceiving.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank dlblevins
Crossville, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 June 2014

First time at the Shawnee Lodge to attend a gathering of antique truck owners. Originally planned to stay two nights, but when our group left my wife and I stayed for an extra 3 days. As a group we decided to take advantage of the resort's restaurant for convenience and it turned out to be a positive, food was very good (although there is a limited menu) and the prices were very fair. Rooms were very nice and the staff was exceptional. Plenty to do with 2 pools, hot tub, game room and trails. One of our group stayed in a cabin which was really nice, except that the bathroom was actually very small for an average adult male to use, which means that it was not accessible for a 200lb+ adult.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joe38571
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stay here all the time. When we have the kids we get a cabin and when we are alone we stay at the lodge. Everyone is so friendly here and we look forward to each and every stay. The pool was open this stay and it was nice to relax and drink by the pool!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This time my son and I took a spontaneous trip on a Friday after work. We got a lodge room for just $79 due to his five "A's" on his report card!! The room was very nice and clean and we loved the high ceilings. The staff here is INCREDIBLE. Everyone goes out of their way to make sure you have a wonderful stay. We played basketball, tennis, corn hole, and shuffleboard. We also swam and enjoyed some wonderful frozen drinks by the pool. We ate 2 meals at the lodge restaurant and I couldn't be more pleased with the food, service, and the prices. Is it The Hilton? "No". Is it even better? "YES". I hope they have a cancellation for Labor Day (they're already booked solid) because I want to go back!!

Room Tip: we've stayed in the cabins and also lodge; both are equally nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Chillicothe, Ohio
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The cabins are clean and very modern and nice. The pools are very nice as well. The lodge is beautiful, and there are many things to do. One issue I had was that the lifeguards at the pool kept circulating around the pool throughout the day asking patrons to prove they were guests at the hotel. After the fourth time we were bothered, I was getting annoyed. If they have a problem with freeloaders, they should put up a gate. Another minus was that check in at the cabins was 4:30 P.M. and check out was 10:00 A.M. Does not leave much time to enjoy the amenities. It is not worth the money for a one night stay.

Room Tip: The first few cabins on the right were located on a hillside; no usable yard for the kids to play...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cheryl1957
Also consider these accommodations in or near Friendship
Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown
#1 of 2 in Piketon
Super 8 Portsmouth
Super 8 Portsmouth
#3 of 6 in Portsmouth

Been to Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!