“Gross, untidy, under construction, no bar...”

SpringHill Suites Columbus Airport Gahanna
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Gahanna
Celina, Ohio
“Gross, untidy, under construction, no bar...”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

My sister and I planned an overnight in the city with the fam in order to visit with old friends. I knew something was off with this hotel right away when I noticed rust, dirty glass and trash in the entrance. I had booked two rooms via Marriott Main reservations. They did not mention the hotel was old and under construction. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt so I asked to be given a quick peek at the rooms we were about to check into. So glad I did! We cancelled and left immediately. The conditions of the carpets, walls, bathrooms... everything was completely unacceptable. So, there we were, in the city with 3 children in the van, two DH's on the way to meet us, our friends party already getting underway and no where to go!
At this point, we had been in the car for over 3 1/2 hours. I called Marriott guest services and they did not help me at all (shame on them) They would not match the rate I had for Spring Hill Gahanna and only offered alternates that would have cost me $2-300 more for the night! Although it was almost 25 minutes away, I ended up calling Spring Hill Suites OSU directly to check for availability; they were extremely accommodating. I'll write a seperate review for them!
Marriott should be ashamed of the Spring Hill Gahanna location. Only one bright spot- the manager on duty was extremely nice and cancelled my booking with zero problems. Too bad he has to work in that hole!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Lake Mary, Florida
Reviewed 9 March 2013

This hotel is the poorest Marriott property I've ever stayed at. The rooms were dingy and dated. There were bugs in the light fixtures and the toilet wasn't properly bolted to the floor. The staff was yelling at each other up and down the hallway and the overall atmosphere was noisy. My room was next to the pool and elevator and every single sound came through the walls.

I left my car at the hotel for an outgoing flight. The outbound shuttle was fine. When I got back to CMH I called for the shuttle. I was told that the van was almost there and would wait for me. I waited in the rain through four phone calls and over an hour. I was told "he just got back to the hotel, we'll send him right back out", "we'll call and find him", and "I'm not sure where he is, we'll make sure he gets there". Eventually I gave up and took a cab.

I prefer Marriott properties and use them almost exclusively. This hotel is the exception.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Gahanna hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 February 2013

The rooms were large and very clean and the staff very friendly. I've seen a lot of complaints about the breakfast on here but I really thought it was pretty typical for a chain hotel with free breakfast. We didn't think it was too bad at all. They had a do-it-yourself Belgian waffle maker and they were quite tasty. The coffee was also very good. The rooms did show some signs of age but other than that I really found nothing negative about this place. We booked the room through Priceline and got a great deal on it so for the price I really can't (and won't) complain at all!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Ohio
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Certainly not the newest hotel in the city, this Springhill Suites was clean and comfortable. The service was friendly and the rooms were spacious and clean. The pool was small but fine for kids and breakfast was adequate (the standard for hotels in this category plus hot eggs and sausage). We got a great price from Priceline, and for that I was satisfied! I wouldn't be as satisfied if I paid the standard rates (of around $120 - $130) that I saw on the hotel web site.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 27 January 2013

If you are looking for no frills and close to CMH, this is it. Don't expect anything. The rooms are bare bones. The beds are not comfortable. The breakfast is 7-11 food. Often, check in is an issue. Lost reservation? Not a loyalty member? It should be cruise in and out.Sometimes it is not.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
ohio
Reviewed 26 October 2012

My husband and I like to stay in suites for the extra room and 2 tvs.I could not believe that this hotel only has 1 tv in the sitting room and no tvs in the bedrooms When I went downstairs to ask about this I was told that all rooms are like this but will be getting a second TV next year. This was no help to us and we were offered nothing off the bill. We could have stayed in a reg room at another hotel and saved the money!This was a big turn off for us. Also the fridge had items left by previous guest so it had not been cleaned and the beds were so worn, and saggy.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lifeisshortOhio
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 22 October 2012

There is nothing so bad about it that it deserves a "poor" rating but nothing so great that deserves anything higher than a 3 (average) unless your alternative was sleeping out in the rain. It is as plain vanilla as you can get so you won't be wowed by anyting (the rooms can't be more generic- but they are clean and everything worked- updating soon would be good though), a few things will probably disappoint you (the breakfast would be one example) but none enough to say you had a bad experience. I think this is the textbook example of average and it leaves you with a generally indifferent experience if you at least didn't pay too much for the room. If you paid rack rate then it drifts towards a 2.

To set expectations, the rooms are streteching the defnition of a suite. They are really just large rooms - large enough to have a sitting area with a couch, fridge, sink and desk along with the beds. But it is essentially one large space as evidenced by the single TV that you pivot if you are watching in bed versus on the couch. Compare that to Embassy Suites which have two rooms separated by a door and walls (and two TVs) - in other words- an actual suite.

On the surface things at Spring Hill are just fine. The lobby and rooms are all nice enough (for a Spring Hill), everything works and the rooms are spacious and relatively comfortable. But nothing about the operations of the hotel seem to work quite right. It's like it is staffed with trainees but, sadly, no teacher. The perfect example was when the fire alarm went off one afternoon and nobody seemed to know how to deactivate it. The staff was running around talking (sometimes yelling over the horns and sirens) and finally they did get it deactivated. Friends staying in another room reported getting 2 wake-up calls (none at the right time) in one morning...starting at 4AM. And there was the final common indicator of a problem in an organization: getting different answers depending on who you ask.

Setting aside what I hope are the atypical events (fire alarms going off) the low point of any stay at this Spring HIll has to be the breakfast. The options (basically) are oatmeal, scrambled eggs or make your own waffles accompanied by the single greasiest sausage patties I have ever seen. A small refrigerator had some yogurt and there was a small selection of bakery items. Usual array of beverages. But everyhing is just so very blah. And then, right after breakfast closed, the staff converged on the dining room to chow down. I'm sure they are very nice people and they do need to eat, too, but it is just odd for the guests to see this.

Everyone who works there is very nice and they try hard. That has to be acknowledged. But nothing gets done very well or very quickly. We were there for a wedding and nothing the family communicated was executed correctly the first time. The rooms are clean but housekeeping takes an eternity to complete servicing the floor. It's the pace the hotel seems to move at and good for them for finding a place that works at their speed.

If you get a crazy good deal on a room, go there. The hotel is quiet enough. The rooms are nice enough and you can eat elsewhere. It is only 5 minutes from the airport so if that is important they are truly close to the airport. At the rack rate you can do so much better in terms of quality for the money based on what rates I saw when booking our room.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gahanna
Candlewood Suites Columbus Airport
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus Airport
TownePlace Suites Columbus Airport Gahanna
Hampton Inn Columbus Airport
Hampton Inn Columbus Airport
#25 of 143 in Columbus
Fairfield Inn & Suites Columbus Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Columbus Airport

Been to SpringHill Suites Columbus Airport Gahanna? Share your experiences!