“Not the nicest HIE I've stayed in, but okay”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus Airport
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Gahanna
Springfield, Missouri
“Not the nicest HIE I've stayed in, but okay”
Reviewed 21 October 2011

It was okay. Convenient to the airport. Few restaurant choices around. Not a lot of attention to details. It was a windy and rainy day, and the air was whistling through the leaky window. Coffee maker didn't work and tripped the GFI several times. Rooms were pretty clean and breakfast was the normal HIE stuff, which is nice. The workout equipment was not great. Two of the treadmills suddenly shut down on me at about 10mph and I about fell off. Nice big TV in the room and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank 1BigTimeTraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Vincent, Ohio
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Just a few days ago we returned home following my wife's surgery at Mt. Carmel Surgical Hospital in New Albany, Ohio (N.E. suburb of Columbus some 20 minutes from the hotel). We went to Columbus the night before she checked into the hospital to avoid a tiring two-hour drive on check-in day. Checking into the Holiday Inn Express (H.I.X.) in Gahanna was as easy as finding the place in the first place (thanks to TomTom and Google). The third-floor room was clean, comfortable, and roomy. The ceiling fan in the bathroom was noisy but not so much after it had run a few minutes. We purchased a couple LED nightlights so it wouldn't have to be on all night (it was tied into the bathroom lighting which we normally leave on as a nightlight).

Following dinner at Logan's Roadhouse (Easton Center, a few miles away) I swam alone in the sizable indoor pool at the hotel. There was no swirling spa but the water was almost spa temperature (too warm for my tastes but my wife would have loved it). The pool was conveniently located right around the corner from the elevators so there was no parading through the lobby dripping wet afterwards.

The next morning, my wife couldn't eat because of her upcoming surgery, but I sure did--enough for both of us. While most "free" hotel breakfasts consist of just standard continental fare, this place also had biscuits, sausage gravy, bacon, scrambled eggs (on the dry side) and the first "pancake machine" I'd ever encountered. The thing rolls them out like a copier, two at a time onto a Styrofoam plate. Although they tasted okay, they had a "polished" look to them and were not quite tender enough to cut with the accompanying plastic forks. They had accompanying plastic knifes for that. The second morning there were nicely thawed omelets and sausage patties. But all that aside, the real stars of the breakfast showcase were the cinnamon rolls. I had two each morning. The cook confessed she had trouble NOT eating them all herself.

I'd planned to stay four nights but my wife's surgery went so well the hospital (and the insurance company) sprung her a day early so I missed my fourth consecutive rendezvous with the cinnamon rolls. However, I did have the foresight to fortify myself with a batch of Max & Erma's chocolate chip cookies (boxed to go) the night before. One of the Columbus chain's dining landmarks was just eight miles north on Hamilton Road from the hotel. There's an even closer one by the airport. Next door to the hotel is a run-of-the-mill Frisch's and next door to that a Bob Evans Country Restaurant for those not in the mood to drive.

Though located only about a mile from Port Columbus, the planes could only be heard outside the hotel. Speaking of planes,the H.I.X. has a "park-n-fly" package. There's also a small fitness center with three or four treadmills, which, being the cinnamon roll/chocolate chip cookie type, I didn't have the urge to utilize. Our room rate was presumably special for Mt. Carmel patients and their families, but it was actually the same rate as for AARP members. Our bill came to just over one hundred per night counting the hefty hotel taxes levied by Columbus and Gahanna.

Whether flying out or going under the knife, this H.I.X is a safe bet either way.

Room Tip: LED nightlights should be part of every travel kit
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jim_Lane
Wurtland, Ky
Reviewed 29 April 2011

We stayed here for one night for an AAU basketball tourney and it was very nice. Quick check-in, friendly staff and nice room. Breakfast was good and close to resturants and fast food and right off 270. I would stay here again, I was very well pleased.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank JamieWurtland_KY
Hartville, Ohio
Reviewed 10 March 2010

This was our first stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Actually, I was always a bit afraid to stay in an Express as I thought the quality would be rather low, but we thought it was time to give it a try.

We had a most delightful stay. Everyone behind the desk was exceptionally nice, friendly, and check-in wa quick and easy. (Special thanks to Olivia). The entire hotel was very clean and the pool -- well the pool was WONDERFUL!! Breakfast also was much better than some other places; the omelets and sausage were a big plus.

When traveling to the Columbus area, make sure you stay here. 5 stars!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank bthomas28
Philadelphia
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Stayed one night on business. Will not stay again

Pros:

Friendly front desk staff at check in and help with dining options.

Cons:

Wireless internet didn't work in my room due to very low signal strength. There was a wired connection but I needed to supply my own connection cord.

Pillows were old and soft and the bed was hard and uncomfortable.

Furnishings were old and worn. Marks on the walls. Old carpet.

At 7 am, there wasn't much hot water. My shower was on the cool side.

The parking lot wasn't cleaned of snow properly even several days (weeks?) after the last storm. So this significantly reduced the amount of parking spaces.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank PhillyLover
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed 28 February 2010

I stayed here on my last night in Ohio because of the shuttle to the airport. The hotel is old and in desperate need of updating. I left too early in the morning for the breakfast, but I'm always a fan of the HIE breakfast buffet.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Grosse Ile, MI
Reviewed 1 August 2009

After striking out looking for a room late at night (started at Marietta, OH) found this gem.

Clean, well-maintained, and courteous staff. Room was well-appointed and clean (and we're pretty fussy). Rates were typical.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PRDuffy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gahanna
Candlewood Suites Columbus Airport
SpringHill Suites Columbus Airport Gahanna
Hampton Inn Columbus Airport
Hampton Inn Columbus Airport
#22 of 143 in Columbus
Hilton Garden Inn Columbus Airport
Fairfield Inn & Suites Columbus Airport
TownePlace Suites Columbus Airport Gahanna

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus Airport? Share your experiences!