“View not worth the horrendous service.”

Lakefront Family Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 49 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
amylyn
“View not worth the horrendous service.”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The view from the deck at sunset is nice but service is beyond bad to just rude. We got there and the place was not very busy, maybe 5 or 6 tables of people. We sat for a long time before our waitress came to take our order, she didn’t offer to take our drink order. My husband asked if we could order drinks first and we ordered calamari as an appetizer. First she brought the wrong bottle of wine and finally the calamari, which was cold and soggy by the time we got it. Our salads took another eternity. The menu stated salad and warm bread, we asked for the bread, but it never came. Finally the main course. My husband had the perch, it was really good. I had the coconut shrimp and it was OK, just froze I believe, with bottled sweet and sour sauce. Nothing special. We had to get up and go inside looking for ketchup for our fries and still no bread, asked again. We were just about done before the bread came, with a weak apology. Thanks goodness we ordered wine because we would have never gotten a second cocktail. This place is throwing money away.
There was one waitress helping the customers that came in after us that did have descent service, they came in at least 115 minutes after us and were finished eating by the time we even got our food.
It was after 10pm when we were leaving, 3 hours after arriving, and had to wait and wait at the counter for our bill. My husband was so upset by then we didn’t even look at our bill, just left the cash with our waitress who we had to track down AGAIN. It is possible that the tip was already added, he didn’t look.
When we were leaving my husband popped his head into the manager’s office and said "our food was great, but our service was some of the worst I have ever had". The reply from the manager or maybe owner (Billy) was rudely "Thanks for the one complement. See ya later" Mouths fell open, we left, I understand why the service was so bad, he couldn’t care less about the customers. It is really too bad the service ruined our night.
Was the view worth the bad service and the mediocre food? No, not at all. We will probably never be back to Geneva on the lake Ohio.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank amylyn

Ohio
“Nice dining on deck overlooking lake.”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My husband and I come to Geneva on the Lake and the Lakefront restaurant twice a year. We love their seafood and the deck overlooking the lake! Easy parking too, as they have their own lot for customers.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank katie77iris
cinncinati
“Best of the best”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

This was a very nice restaurant with a great view. The view is probably the best part of the restaurant sitting on the lake and their food would have to be amazing and i reccomend that lots of people go to this restaurant for your stay at GOTL atleast oncee to try their yummy food and enjoy a nice old sea theme.

• Visited June 2012
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
“Went for the deck but NEVER again”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We visit GOTL several times a year but never have eaten at this "restaurant". We were there during Thunder this past weekend and we were all sick of bar food so we decided to eat here because I have heard about the deck. We got a table almost instantly and our first drinks, but that was when things went down hill. Trying to find our waitress after that was next to impossible. Crab stuffed mushrooms were just so-so. Past was so over cooked it was mush. My girlfriend's steak and sweet potato came out cold...so cold that butter would not melt on her potato. Tried to find our waitress AGAIN and she was no where. The bus girl gave us better service than our actual waitress. When she did finally come back my friend just wanted the dinner taken off her tab...she had eaten only one bite of the steak and nothing else. She never came back to check if we needed any additional beverages and I had to go inside to talk to the manager just to find her to get our checks. He was pretty much a [--]. We had not planned on tipping this girl very well but it did not matter...since we had complained they automatically tacked an 18% tip on to our bills. I was tired and just wanted to get out of this place, signed the slip and left. As we were walking out my friend tried to say something to the manager...he actually laid hands on her, pushed her out the door and said "I don't have time for this" and then walked away.

• Visited September 2012
6 Thank Pamela P
Copley, Ohio
“Our favorite in Geneva-on-the-Lake”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I have read some of the reviews here that are terrible but our experience has always been very good. Our hiking club comes to Geneva-on-the Lake every September because it is less crowded and the weather is so nice. After hiking in the State Park we head over to this restaurant because the view is so nice - there is an outdoor patio right on the water. Even though our group usually numbers around 10 people we are always seated right away and the service has been OK. That could be also due to the fact that in mid-September there aren't many people visiting as in the summer. But all in all the food has been good (I always order the perch sandwich) and we have had no complaints. We are planning on visiting again in a few weeks.

• Visited October 2011