To one who has stayed in Assam for a while, there are no great surprises. There is a new branch of this restaurant at Six Mile, whose experience I narrate.
1. Maihang proclaims itself as a Northeast specialty restaurant. Only a couple of items in the menu are from elsewhere, the rest is Assamese. Surely the other 6 states of Nagaland, Arunachal, Tripura, Mizoram, Manipur and Meghalaya also have their own cuisines ? Liar, liar.
2. The decor is good, all done up with wood and bamboo. Wood ? Is that eco-friendly ?
3. One of the pork dishes had three options, of which I chose the lemongrass preparation. When it arrived, there was no distant whiff of lemongrass. Cheat.
4. The preparation of a vegetable thali and this pork dish took 30 minutes. Looks like they started with thawing the pork and chopping the vegetables.
5. The crescendo. When the bill arrived, they had discreetly increased the base price compared to what was printed in the menu. When pointed out, they decreased it, but still charged the vat and taxes as per the earlier amount ( charged as a percentage of the sum of basic pricing.) And they conveniently disbursed with returning the change.
Final opinion - truly Assamese. Never step into this state without a tour operator from your own place- every expense pre-paid.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.