“Place which defines Homestay as equivalent to Staying at home.......” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Green Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kodagu (Coorg)
The Green Retreat
Ranked #84 of 269 Kodagu (Coorg) B&B and Inns
Bengaluru, India
“Place which defines Homestay as equivalent to Staying at home.......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

I was very concerned about my parents whether they will like this place or not as they generally prefer homely environment and food.But I went with the trip advisor reviews of this place and booked it for one night.The charges were Rs.1000 per person which includes stay,tea /coffee,breakfast,lunch and dinner.
I had chosen the old house which is a traditional Coorgi house.There are 4 rooms,2 bathrooms,dining area,kitchen,a huge verandah,geyser,a TV with Tata Sky DTH connection.This house can comfortably accommodate 12 people but we were only 5.The place is very clean and well maintained which is amidst an estate having coffee and pepper plantations.
Now coming to the best part......."Hospitality of the hosts and Delicious Coorgi cuisine"......
The warmth and affection shown by Aunty n Uncle to the guests is something you would not find anywhere else.They will make u feel that its your own place.Simply superb.
Our dinner menu included Rice,Chapati,Sambar,Potato-Beans fry,Chicken,Coorgi Pork(best of them all) and Fruit Custard...............believe me....the food was awesome.
Aunty personally made a visit to us after dinner just to check whether we liked the food or not.
I will surely visit this place once again just for their hospitality and food.

Room Tip: Try out the old house if u want to have the experience of a traditional Coorgi house and if u eat po...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Digvijoy

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Varanasi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

I wanted to visit Coorg for very long time. Recently my India visit gave me the opportunity to explore Karnataka. Being a traveler by soul I like to travel to places abundant of natural beauty. I must say Coorg didn’t disappoint me. Even though the temperature was high (~ 32C) during the day time (March end week), still I managed to explore Coorg, Kutta as much as possible. I was a single person and wanted to make it a budget trip so I took a VOLVO from Bangalore to Gonikuppa. In Gonikuppa you’ll get private buses for Kutta after every 1hr. I think during evening last bus runs at 6:30 so I’ll suggest planning your itinerary accordingly.
I stayed at Manu estate, Kutta, South Kodagu (Coorg). This homestay is run by a couple Manu Uncle and Muthu Aunty. Initially when I was looking for the homestay near Nagarhole national park I had no clue that there was a small town called Kutta. I happened to see few blogs and then tripadvisor reviews where people praised about Manu estate homestay. I took a chance and booked my room. I must say that I was treated like a family member. Aunty woke up at 6’oclock in the morning to prepare my tea, so that I can go to the safari early. First thing which you will notice is that rooms are very neat and clean. Bed sheets are also clean and washed regularly, but it would be good if they could get new bed sheets with better quality whitener (neel). You may find big spots of neel on white (slightly bluish because of excessive use of neel) bed sheets. They also have coffee, black pepper, and beetle nut plantation. Early mornings are very beautiful because of the fog/clouds. Brahmigiri forest/mountains are very close to Kutta so in the morning it is usual to see clouds at lower elevation which makes Kutta look like a hill station. I stayed for 2 nights, single occupancy. Daily tariff for single occupancy is 2500/- which includes tea (morning and evening), breakfast, lunch and dinner. I was not served lunch (don’t know the reason), so uncle gave me 400/- rebate for 2 days. There was a glitch during my first night stay; the flush was not working properly in the bathroom, also, there were no water taps, except a basin and a hose for cleaning. To make the condition worse it was a warm night and there was a tiny table fan attached in the ceiling. This room was meant for single occupancy and needed appropriate modifications to be able to rent it to guests. Having said that uncle was kind enough to arrange buckets of water for my use, he also arranged hot water early in the morning so that I can take bath. I was also charged 2000/- instead of 2500/- for my first night due to bathroom malfunctioning. 2nd day I was shifted to another room (double bed room) because guests left it in the morning. That room I must say was excellent. Big room with ceiling fan and big fully functioning bathroom. Only crib I have with that room is that it didn’t have any hose to clean your privates.
Being a typical Coorgi family they serve delicious non veg food. If you eat PORK then don’t hesitate to request aunty to make a coorgi pork dish. Food was served warm and uncle aunty makes sure your appetite is fulfilled. I didn’t like the vegetarian dishes apart from the salad. Vegetarian curry was bland and watery.
Kutta’s geographical location is excellent. Nagarhole national park is just 10kms from Kutta. I was a single person with no car so Manu uncle arranged a jeep with driver for my morning and evening safari. Jeep tariff is 600/- to take you from Kutta(Manu estate) to Nagarhole national park office and bring you back to Kutta after the safari. At Nagarhole national park office you have to buy your own ticket for Van safari tour (cost 300/- no camera fees charged). If you are in Kutta for safari then do both morning and evening safari. Irupu falls is 7km from Kutta and jeep tariff is 500/-. Jeep driver will wait for you at the base of water fall. It’s a 1-2km hike to reach irupu falls (moderate hike), during summer water is not much but sufficient enough to take a bath and enjoy some water splash. I also went to Thrunelli temple in Kerala (20kms from Kutta). Temple is 2000 years old and people come here to offer pind-daan. If you have interest in photography then I’ll suggest visiting this place early morning. Jeep tariff for the temple is 700/-.
Overall my stay was very good and I am thankful to Aiyappa family for their warm welcome and excellent hospitability. There are other homestays in Kutta so you may want to check them based on your budget and interests.

Room Tip: Go for basement rooms. They are double bed rooms but well equiped.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Bakers_Delight
Bangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Sometime back, we had been to this place called Manu Estate in Kutta. The hosts Manu Uncle and Muthu Aunty were very warm in welcoming us to the property. We are a group of 6 people and 2 kids. We took the old bungalow and it was a very good experience staying there. The place is neat and clean. Food can be improved a bit. Rest of the stay was smooth. They had arranged a night safari into the Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary. Spotted a couple of Tuskers and deers, nothing other than that. Overall stay was good.

Room Tip: Take a room in the new bungalow if you are particular about modern interiors.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RamJinu22
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I am very happy to rediscover The Green Retreat today while browsing idly on tripadvisor. My stay here during our family visit to Coorg during Durgapooja holidays in 2008 was equally unplanned. We (parents, sis and I) were on our way to Madikeri from Ooty. It started raining very heavily when we reached Kutta and was already quite late in the evening. Local people in the kutta market on the highway told us about the homestay and we checked in. This was our first ever visit to a homestay and we didn't know what to expect.

There were two options to stay. One the cottages and another in the lower floor of the beautiful house of the hosts. Aunite (Muthu) showed me the house option. It had two big bed rooms with attached washrooms and one huge living room and I took it without seeing the cottages. The place was like my house in Mumbai, only much bigger.

By the time we made ourselves comfortable, she prepared snacks for us. It had some spicy fried chicken and much more. It was very very tasty. The Nagarhole reserve was closed that time of the year. At night uncle (Manu) took us on his jeep to a trip on the road in the reserve. In the dark we could see many pairs of eyes gleaming from behind the bushes. Animals were looking at us while we could not see them. Luckily we found a small family of elephants with a small baby on the road.

We had a sumptuous dinner and woke up late next morning. We had our plans made and could not stay any longer. Buoyed by our homestay experience, I chose another homestay in Madikeri, but the experience was not half as good. I hope to visit The Green Retreat again someday.

In short, I would recommend the place without any reservations. Infact, if you give Manu a call I am sure that he would be kind enough to give you valuable advise to make your trip more enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank PPS123
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Visited this home stay with my wife last month.This was a blessing in disguise as the place we were originally booked, could not accomdate us for some domestic reasons(acceptable).We really enjoyed the hospitality extended by both Manu and Muthu.Rooms are really big and spacy.The cook Nethravati provided us with the real taste of Coorg food in combination with Kerala flavour( veg)Manu arranged our siteseeing.We got to know of Coorg culture from Muthu.Very cordial and friendly couple made our home stay here very memorable.Have a beautiful estate behind with a good landscape.Great for a family to enjoy nature with fun and good Coorgese food.

Thumbs UP to this couple.

Venkatesh,Mumbai

Room Tip: No Comments.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
bangalore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

stayed in green retreat just for a single night our my kids .the kids thoroughly enjoyed the place and we did too..muthu and manu go out of their way to make sure that you are comfortable.now this is what makes the place a home away from home..
muthu is an awesome cook .. we really enjoyed the food .they have a lovely parrot on their property that speaks and my kids loved him.
thank you to muthu and manu for making our stay comfortable

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

I was a bit apprehensive about staying in a homestay but THIS place has changed my definition of homestay forever...Everything about this place is just PERFECT..the rooms are REALLY BIG and SUPER CLEAN...the people (uncle Ayappa & aunty Muttu) are very very very cordial.

They had arranged for the campfire in the night just outside their spice garden..and aunt Muttu prepared pineapple souffle for us for desert. The breakfast in the morning was also superb.

If you plan a trip to Nagarhole, dont miss these things: Jungle safari, Irpu falls & GREEN RETREAT HOMESTAY...

This place ROCKS!!!