“Chamber of commerce should shut this place down!”

The North Wind Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Geneva on the Lake
The North Wind Motel
Wampum, Pennsylvania
“Chamber of commerce should shut this place down!”
Reviewed 12 September 2010

OMG! TOTALLY DISGUSTING! Very small dirty, leaking bathroom. Flusher so close to wall that there was a hole in the wall from all the rubbing when you flushed.Not even a holder for the toilet paper. Shower knob fell off while in the shower.Shower would not drain and toilet was cracked and leaked on the floor. Could not go in the bathroom without shoes on. Dirty used soap left on sink. Towels were thin stained Dollar Store Towels, Bed sheets were see through thin with holes and holes that had been sewn shut. Our room had a cob web right over our pillows. The freezer had mold in it. We were there for the bike weekend and paid $200.00 a night for this DUMP!!!!!! There is no refunds once you paid.......no wonder! I would only recomend this hotel to my enemy.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Reviewed 11 May 2010

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!! We paid $125.00 for one night. We were booked for 2 nights but after seeing the "deluxe cottage" we told the manager it was dirty and unacceptable and we wouldn't pay to stay another night. I was appalled at how dirty it was. The bed had sheets with holes and threadbare to say the least. The dish drain in the kitchen was filthy with hairs in it. To top everything off there was a neon sign outside our bedroom window that said "OPEN". We of course turned that off immediately. There was duct tape holding things together, it was the worst place I have ever stayed in. Do not waste your money!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Logan, Ohio
Reviewed 31 August 2009

This motel is by far the worst place we have ever seen. We made last minute plans for a weekend getaway to Geneva on the Lake. After receiving an email from the owner telling us he had a "deluxe king room" available we made a reservation for Friday and Saturday nights. The room was filthy. The bed was dirty, old and sagging. There was a thin piece of cloth over a jalousie window that didn't have a screen. Any one could have easily entered our room through that window. The "curtain" did not block any outside light. When we checked in we were told there was ice right outside our room. There was a freezer with about 6 sandwich bags of ice. The sign at the office clearly states that there are no refunds after check in. No doubt they have to have this policy or everyone would demand a refund and leave. Geneva on the Lake is a nice town on the Lake Erie shore but the Northwind Motel is a place to be avoided at all costs. I still can't believe they have the nerve to charge $80 + tax for a disgusting, dirty and unsafe room.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Logan, Ohio
Reviewed 30 August 2009

We made last minute plans for a weekend getaway to Geneva-on-the-Lake. This was our first visit and availability was limited. Most lodging properties don't have web sites so researching a motel is difficult. I sent an email request to the Northwind Motel and the owner replied that they had a "deluxe king room" available. We reserved the room. OMG - we have never seen such a filthy, disgusting room. The entire room was dirty. The bed spread was old and worn. The mattress was old and sagging. The bathroom was small and filthy. There was a thin curtain made of Christmas fabric over a jalousie window without a screen that didn't block out any outside light or sound. It would have been very easy for someone to enter the room through the window. When we checked in the owner told us there was an ice machine outside our room. It was a freezer with sandwich bags full of ice. Later we saw the owner filling the sandwich bags with dirty hands. Geneva-on-the-Lake is a great place but make sure you have adequate time to thoroughly research where you will be staying and don't believe web sites.

1 Thank Karen R
Carlisle
Reviewed 25 February 2009

When we first arrived at the North Wind Motel I was not expecting anything fancy, but I was not expecting to see what an atrocity that I did see. My fiancé and I's room smelled musty and nasty like a really old house that had't been lived in for years. Our towels had black markings on them and the bed was as hard as the sidewalk. In my fiancé 's father's room there were cobwebs, black hairs all through the bed and the sheets, plus there were no clean towels in his room either. It was just disgusting and we would have done better sleeping outside than in that room. Also, since we went in the middle of August it was extremely hot, so we tried to use the air conditioner. The least to say about that was the air conditioner felt like it was doing nothing expect filtering dust and allergens around the room. It was just a really bad experience for my first time ever visiting Geneva-on-the-Lake. I would most definately recommend ANY OTHER hotel or motel to those who want to stay at Geneva-on-the-Lake. Stay as far away from this motel as possible, it was gross.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katielw09
Akron, OH
Reviewed 4 August 2008

You're better off staying at the "Bates Motel". When you pay $80.00 you don't expect a lot but this room was awful.
First thing we saw as we walked in was the chair that had two big chunks taken out of it. The over all room was very small. As we sat down to figure out which wineries to go to the curtain rod fell off the window. I had to rig it to get it to stay up. To turn on the air conditioner I had to stand on the bed. When I got closer to it I could see the filter had not been cleaned in years. After spending the night in the room my allergies confirmed it. When my finance went to take a shower we noticed the stained towels that had Motel written on them in sharpie marker. Then she noticed the soap wrpeer in the shower and the hair in the shower from the previous occupants. The cable tv was fuzzy the whole night. You couldn't even make out the picture when sitting in the bed.
Like I said, I don't expect a lot from an $80.00 a night room but this was ridiculious. You're better off staying at the Pool Side Motel across the street. At least it had a pool.

• Liked — Room hqad a mini fridge
  • Disliked — dirty room
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jross2083
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula
#1 of 2 in Geneva
The Lakehouse Inn
The Lakehouse Inn
#1 of 3 in Geneva on the Lake

Been to The North Wind Motel? Share your experiences!