“Quaint winery”

Old Firehouse Winery
Price range: US$10 - US$29
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: An eclectic winery and restaurant on the famous entertainment strip in Geneva-on-the-Lake, Ohio's first Summer Resort. Located with a view of Lake Erie, the large, meandering patio provides the setting for nightly summer entertainment. Lots of special events and kid friendly. Full bar service in summer at the "Sunset Bar".
Cleveland, Ohio
“Quaint winery”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Initially difficult to get information. Once things got started, I have to say, the waitress was great! The food just ok. We had a chicken wrap that lacked something? The wine tasting was good.

Visited May 2014

Lancaster
“Very good place to visit”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We have a great lunch here. I had the wine sampler and we split fried pickles and a hamburg. My wife had some white wine. The wine I tasted was very good. My wife enjoyed hers too.

Visited April 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“wine is ok, very crowded at night”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The Old Firehouse Winery has a great location near many shops and restaurants and is close to Lake Erie. However the tasting area was very crowded when we arrived. It took a while to get someone to help us - and they socialized with friends instead of helping us. They didn't know anything about the wines. We love going to wineries and bringing home a few bottles for later. We aren't picky but didn't like any of the wines at the Old Firehouse. We did buy one bottle (super cute dog/firehouse on it); when we opened it at home months later we were disappointed.

• Visited September 2013
Mentor, Ohio
“Read and Listen to the Reviews Before You GroupOn!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Like many of the others we bought a $20 GroupOn for a $40 wine tasting for two. The picture on the GroupOn showed brie and smoked brie, fresh bread and a glass of wine. It was quite an attractive picture.

The reality was something different. While I did not read the reviews before I bought the GroupOn, thank goodness I read them before I went so I was at least somewhat prepared for the experience.

The views of the lake were definitely nice. The restaurant was like a somewhat dated and tired themed burger joint. The wine was all pre-poured in little Nyquil like cups with plastic lids, served on two cafeteria trays. The trays, with both the red and white wines, were stored in the refrigerator. Each tray had about 12 little cups on them. About six were on each tray, the rest we had to share the plastic cup. If you like Boones' Farm and the like, you might like the wines. We did not like them, feeling that they went from marginally okay to pretty bad. Now, we recognized that a lot of these were from Lambrusca/American grapes (i.e., Concord, Niagra), but it still was not so good.

Instead of brie we got four kinds of processed cheese, one of which tasted pretty weird. Instead of fresh bread, we got prepackaged Ritz, Townhouse and Saltine crackers. Simply put it was the worst wine tasting that I have ever been too. Again, I had set my expectations low when I went, but it fell well below my expectations.

I did tell some friends that it was a "once in a lifetime" experience as we are not going to go back there. I will note that we did see a fried onion taken past our table and that looked pretty good. So, perhaps it is a good bar food restaurant.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank JandC313
Cleveland, Ohio
“TripAdvisor proves true again...”
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

There is a reason that I look at TripAdvisor...but I did not listen...and I regret it. There is a reason they are at #8...Took my wife here for lunch...nice setting by the Lake...decent wine...but that is about it...the food was on par with cheap bar food...the perch was over cooked to the point of almost inedible...the crab cakes looked like it came from a Mrs. Paul's fish stick box...and the service was even worse...with only about 8 people total there one would not think one would have to beg to get served...she never came to get the check...we ordered 4 bottles of wine at the register...she only gave us 2...but that is ok because she made up for it by charging me for all of my food and half of the food from another table...all in all a pretty bad experience...I understand a bad day-but, if you are going to spend hard earned money! there are PLENTY of other places that it can be done at and be satisfied.

Visited April 2014