“It was a perfect family getaway vacation! We will be visiting again!”

The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“It was a perfect family getaway vacation! We will be visiting again!”
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We stayed the first weekend in August 2011 for 2 nights and three days. It was great! The room was very comfortable, we had 2 queen beds for us and our 2year old and a pack and play for our 16 month old. The pools, spray park, playground and walking path were all the entertainment we needed! However, we did walk downtown both nights and found plenty of family friendly things to do, dinner at Eddy's, ice cream, the arcades, mini golf/carosel at Adventure park, and just enjoying the downtown walk. We couldn't have been happier with our stay. The food at the restaraunts is good, but expensive, so I would recommend a cooler to cut down on food cost so you can have some meals/snacks out of the cooler. I would definitely recommend staying here and enjoying the awesome location, atmosphere and amenities!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dasiy_TheOneAndOnly, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Rebecca S-

I cannot thank you enough for this wonderful review. We strive to make The Lodge a great getaway for everyone, and often times we hear only the less than positive reviews.

It is utterly inspiring to myself and our staff to hear that your family enjoyed your stay and that you found family friendly activities not only here at The Lodge but also nearby at Adventure Zone and along ‘the strip’.

I will pass your comments on to our restaurant staff about pricing and hope to meet your expectations there as well when you return!

Sincerely Grateful,
Daisy Hall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
graytown ohio
Reviewed 16 August 2011

My husband and I wanted to get away for a few days and I booked 2 different rooms because the same room wasn't available both nights. Well the first room did have a balcony but theres a water spout for kids that made so much noise at the pool it was ridiculous there was no way you could relax and even hardly hear each other talk. Then I got my surprise I was stung by a wasp on the balcony, there was a wasp nest in the corner on the balcony. Luckily it was me because my husband is allergic to wasp and bee bites we would of ended up in an emergency room if he would of been bitten, this time of year I would think someone would check for things like this outside on a balcony. So we were forced to sit inside I had some benedryl and I took it my arm was a little sore but I was ok. We told the front desk clerk and all she said was gee I'm sorry, I thought she should of called the manager. We got back in our room and I called the manager and got his voicemail,I left a message but never received a call back that day or the next which I thought was terrible. So of course the next day we had to change rooms(which I knew we would have to) it was suppose to be another balcony room overlooking the lake. We received a balcony room on the ground floor next to the outdoor restaurant, hardly no view of the lake at all which I was told would be, the sliding glass doors in both rooms we stayed in were filthy someone had even written on the one door clean me in the dirt. The balcony on the ground floor was filthy someone had spilled something sticky all over there were dead leaves and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned or even swept in a long time, it was disgusting especially when you pay almost $500 for a 2 night stay. We were told we would have pillow top mattresses,a flat screen TV and a refrigerator and microwave. We didn't even have one of these things I can't tell you how disappointed we were. I didn't notice that this was a dog friendly lodge and when we went out to the pool there were dogs by the pool, how gross to walk in bare feet and have to worry about dog messes. I like animals but not in a room that I may be in after that animal has left. We had tiny bugs all over our ceiling in the bathroom which I thought were fleas probably from an animal that had stayed in our room, I kept the door closed at all times, and we couldn't believe how low the toliets were they were made for children not adults. This lodge needs some major remodeling and people should not be told they're going to get something in a room and not get anything they were promised. We ate 2 meals at the lodge the breakfast buffet was ok and our 1 evening meal we had was very good. That's about the only thing I could say was ok while we stayed here. I wrote a testimonial on the lodges website but they didn't print it gee I wonder why. But the thing that really disturbed me the most was I didn't get a call from the manager after I was stung by the wasp the first day we were there, after all we were there another day and he had time to respond to my call,I thought we should have been given something off our bill for this happening to me. We won't be staying at this place again. Thank You

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jeannie063
Jeannie063-

Thank you for choosing to visit The Lodge and for leaving your review. I apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. Our rooms do sell out quickly for the summer season and sometimes when booking just one week before your arrival date, it may be difficult to have the same room type available for a multi-night stay. I am sorry you did not enjoy the first room you were in, but glad we could meet some of your requests by providing both rooms with a patio or balcony.

The outdoor splash area near the pool is a great feature that many of our travelers enjoy and is on an automatic shut off so we can conserve water and the guests can choose to turn it on when in use. I will convey your comment about the resonance of the sound from your second floor room to our facilities team for review.

We take the utmost care in cleaning all of our rooms and I have notified the housekeeping manager to work with our staff to take extra care when cleaning the balcony doors. Also we do a regular check for pests and bee/wasp nests, but despite our diligence is surveillance, some nests are inevitably missed. Thank you for bringing it to our attention so promptly.

While we have no control over where wasps choose to build their nest, as soon as we were notified of the nest our maintenance team responded quickly to remove the nest and restore your safety. Also, our manager did receive your voicemail and was informed that the situation had been resolved by the front desk with an apology and quick action by the maintenance team.

I also received your e-mail from our website last week and spoke to the front desk manager who promptly refunded the entire $246.29 for that night’s stay at that time. I am happy he was able to make that gesture to appease your discomfort from the wasp sting and your less than perfect stay.

The flat screen TV’s, pillow-top mattresses and fridge/microwaves are all part of the room upgrades and are included in the two rooms suites, however your stay was in a premium room both nights. I am not sure how that information was mixed, but I apologize for the mis-communication.

We are a pet friendly facility, with 9 designated pet rooms on the first floor on the east side of the resort. Neither of the rooms you stayed in were pet friendly, as we reserve these rooms for guests with pets. Also, pets are not allowed at the pools and had we been informed, they would have been asked to leave that area immediately.

We do have staff to enforce where pets are allowed/ not allowed for the comfort of all guests; however I apologize we missed this instance. We are working with the facilities team to have more signage created and posted with the pet policy as well as dress code throughout The Lodge.

Again, I hope the refund that you received last week served as somewhat of a reprieve for your experience. We look forward to you visiting again so that we may have the chance to provide you with the quality of service we pride ourselves on and that every guest deserves. Thank you for considering giving us a second chance.
United States
Reviewed 15 August 2011

It's not fancy, and it's not sophisticated, but it's fairly clean and beautifully appointed. The bed and breakfast package is woth it, and the pool and spray park are nice. Best of all, we liked it that you could eat all of your meals outdoors. The food quality varied tremendously and from day to day. The best was some lovely chicken marsala, the worst was a frozen hockey-puck patty of "Ohio beef" I got for my son-- for the price, they need to make fresh hamburgers. Everyone (except for one younger man at the desk) was very very nice. We enjoyed our stay.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank trientalis
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 August 2011

My husband and I went for a two night get-away without kids. We had read the mixed reviews and went with hopeful yet, reasonable expectations. From our experience, the lodge was spotless and well kept (we saw the grounds being worked on throughout our stay), and we had efficient, polite service from the employees we encountered. We had a second floor room with about a 70% lakeview from the balcony. The room was simple and basic, yet clean. Both pools were lovely and the wine shuttle was great.
Two (okay, three) suggestions:
1. Speed up the process on replacing mattresses... our pillows were fine, but the mattress itself was in need of immediate replacement (sagging in parts, firm in others, springs you could feel, etc.). For the rates charged, new mattresses should be a given, not a lengthy "we'll get there by 2012" thing.
2. Invest in more pool umbrellas... we sat by the pool both days and heard this same complaint repeatedly from other guests. During our stay there were only four umbrellas for the entire pool area, one of which was broken. Given the concerns that people have these days about sun exposure, the purchase and maintenance of about ten more umbrellas would garner a lot of guest goodwill (and yes, you really need that many, including many that aren't attached to tables so people can use the recliners under an umbrella).
3. The wi-fi thing... I travel with a Blackberry and while I had service and a bar or two in the lobby, I had zero service in the room. Not a big deal since I was there on a weekend, but had I wanted to conduct business I'd have been out of luck in the room.

Would we go again? Probably, but I'd want some assurances that my room would be one with a new mattress... it's not relaxing if its hard to sleep. Personally, that's infinitely more important to me at a hotel than a flat screen TV.

Room Tip: Be sure you get a room that's gone through the mattress replacement.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank copswifetobe
Copswifetobe-

Thank you for your comments and for your suggestions. We are working on replacing all of the mattresses throughout the resort and I have shared your comments with our management team on replacing them even faster than planned.

I will also pass your comments about the pool umbrellas on to our Facilities Manager so we can work on meeting that request more promptly. Unfortunately with the slew of bad storms we have encountered as of late, our umbrellas have dwindled in number, but we are working to address this. Thank you for being the one to convey the comments of guests to us so we are aware of the demand for umbrellas.

Also, as you may have read, we are working on getting WIFI throughout the hotel including guest rooms. We have just finished installing all of the required equipment and wiring for this amenity and are in the process of securing a provider for the service.

Thank you again for your comments, we take all of your suggestions to heart and plan to have these addressed.
Mercer, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 August 2011

My family comes here every summer. The Lodge is great. The indoor pool and outdoor pool and splash area are always fun. This year we stayed in a king suite-was a very nice room, had a kitchen & separate sleeping area. I must say though, the pull out sofa was very uncomfortable! Overall the stay was very nice but my kids were upset with the game room. In previous years it was very nice with air hockey, lots of arcade games and pool tables. It is now not what I would call a game room-it only has one pool table and there are now tables for sitting-probably while drinking coffee from the shop next door but it is definetly not a game room. We were also disappointed that the surrey bikes can no longer be rented. It was very nice to be able to ride them on the trail along the water last year. Overall, it was a very nice stay and we will be back next year!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Ohio
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Stayed here for two nights as a weekend getaway without the kids. We had a pleasant time and would do it again. We did the wine weekend package which included two nights stay, two breakfasts for both of us, shuttle service to four wineries, and two flights of wine (one at the hotel and one at a winery). In my opinion this was a great value. The breakfast buffet was perfect. I've read some of the recent bad reviews...I think they are misleading. This is not the ritz...it is a lodge in geneva. It is what it is. The rooms are clean. The staff was friendly and the pool and facility was well run. You are also right on the lake with nice views. It's the best place to stay in this part of town. The only negative thing i'd have to say is that the bar/dinner menu needs more items to choose from and they really should have other seating than just the bar area. An onsite restaurant would be nice.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luvfuninthesun
Ohio, ohio
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I have never written a review before on a hotel, but I feel that I need to inform others to truly look elsewhere when looking for a getaway! I had been wanting to stay at the Lodge at Geneva on the Lake for YEARS since the pictures online make it look like an amazing lodge right on the lake. For the longest time I couldn't fathom paying such a high rate for one of their rooms though. Finally my husband and I decided to splurge and get out of town for a romantic getaway before the arrival of our first baby. Prior to making the 4 1/2 hour trip to the lodge, I called the morning of to see if we could check in early. After being told we could check in as early as 1 o'clock, we packed up the car and the dog and headed North for our little weekend trip. Upon arrival promptly at 1 o'clock, we were told our room was not ready and would not be available until 4 o'clock. This left myself (8 months pregnant), my husband, and our Yorkshire Terrier on our own for 3 hours with temperatures outside of 100 degrees (literally)! I was told to check back every half an hour to see if our room was ready. Finally, at 3:30 we were able to check into our room. We very quickly threw on our bathing suits to cool off at the pool. We had been in the pool for only 5 minutes when maintenance came out to inform us the pool would be closed for a half an hour due to chemicals being low. I don't know why they couldn't have done this during off-pool hours in the morning or evening?! So, again, we were left to hang out on the lounge chairs in 100 degree temperatures! Another observation made....the lobby, hallways, and restaurant did not seem to be air-conditioned. Luckily our room was at a nice cool temperature! The view of the lake is beautiful, however, there isn't really any way to get access down to the water since there's a huge drop off along with high weeds and large rocks between the Lodge's grounds and the lake itself. We ate dinner in the restaurant of the lodge. The food was just "okay", but again, highly overpriced. The Strip (as the locals call it) in the town of Geneva on the Lake is in very poor condition and very run down. It definitely has the potential to be an adorable little beach town, but many shops and restaurants were closed down. Take my advice when considering this lodge....save your money and look elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank nlo5482
nlo5482-

Thank you for your comments. I apologize you had a less than enjoyable experience at The Lodge.

As you know, check-in is guaranteed at 4pm. If a room becomes available before that time, we gladly check guests in, but an early arrival is not guaranteed as we reference in all comments and postings about checking in. When guests arrive prior to the guaranteed check-in time, they are invited to use the pool and all on-site facilities until the room is ready. I am sorry you did not take advantage of this opportunity.

Our indoor and outdoor pools are tested twice daily per the Ohio Department of Public Health and Safety. If chemical levels are found to be below safe levels, we are required to close the pool and adjust the levels to ensure safety of all of our guests. While this may have come at a time that was not convenient for guests, we hope you share the sentiment that the health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and worth taking some time to ensure. I hope the indoor pool that we offer was enough suffice your swimming needs while the outdoor pool was being serviced.

In the summer the common areas are kept cool with air conditioning. At times it may not seem like a cool, refreshing environment due to many guests entering and exiting through the main lobby doors, however we have placed blowers at most entrances to compensate for any cool air lost through the continually opening doors.

I am glad you enjoyed the view of Lake Erie and hope you had a chance to visit the State Park beach located down the walking path along the Lake. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to having you visit again when conditions are more to your liking.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
Hampton Inn Ashtabula
#1 of 3 in Geneva on the Lake
Motel 6 Geneva
Motel 6 Geneva
#1 of 2 in Geneva

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!