“Geneva-on-the-Lake Gem”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Medina, Ohio
“Geneva-on-the-Lake Gem”
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Will recommend The Lodge to everyone. The staff was very courteous and helpful. They were out of rooms with 2 double beds so we booked a king suite. It was gorgeous. Two balconies overlooking the outdoor pool AND Lake Erie. Our teens slept on the pull-out couch that was uncomfortable. (we had the king bed!) Rented bikes and enjoyed riding along Lake Erie. Great location.

Room Tip: Request a room with a lakeview. It's breathtaking!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2012

The reason why I'm writing his review is because some people here said bad things about the receptionists and I find it so unfair and I'Il explain why.

We are French Canadians and were at this state park in the beginning of July, a few days after the big storm that caused millions to lose power in your country. However, as we were in a tent with no TV in the state park, we didn't know anything... As we hate cooking, we spent a lot of time in the lodge to have a few meals, to enjoy this wonderful lodge, the gift shop, the wonderful Lake Erie and so on. While using the computer, we heard of the disaster and learned that most people in Southern Ohio didn't have power. We were really worried because we had a reservation at a lodge in a Southern Ohio state park and we didn't know if they had power and if it was closed, and in top of that, our reservation was for the 4th of July.

My husband has a cell phone but it only works in Canada. We asked about phone booths but it seems that it's very rare in your state where everyone seem to own cell phones. So what could we do? The Internet site said nothing. SO WE GOT VERY HUGE AND FRIENDLY HELP FROM ALL THE RECEPTIONISTS. They knew we weren't even guests and were staying in a tent in the state park (However, we still had meals and bought souvenirs in the guest shop) and they made multiple calls to try to reach Deer Creek state park in Southern Ohio. Nobody would answer in the toll-free lines. So one of the receptionists searched for direct numers (not toll-free) and still there was no answer. They helped us for at least 20 minutes while responding also to the real guests and I can tell you that they were really nice and friendly to the guests too (obviously)! I'm really thankful for all they did for us even though we didn't have a room in the lodge. And they were so friendly.

As I said, we also had wonderfuls meals in the restaurant. I really appreciated that there were options for the people on a diet like me whit even the number of calories and glucides. That is really helping! I had the chicken salad with strawberries from the area and goat cheese. That was super! There was a real singer singing while we were eating. My husband took our camera and recorded so that we could hear the very talented singer and we could also see how magnificent the lodge was. We showed this to relatives and they were flabbergasted to see how marvelous that was. We find it so gorgeous and original to see the huge chimney (fireplace) and all the stairs... And it was extremely gourgeous outside too with the magnificent flowers.

Beaver. PA
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We have stayed at this hotel before and feel there is lots of potential but poor management.
The dining room is great atmosphere, but obviously reviews don't indicate food and service have improved.
We are waiting for reviews indicating lodging and dining improvements before we consider another stay.
What potential, but what a shame!
Undercover boss...WHERE ARE YOU!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank virgo2Beaver_PA
Dasiy_TheOneAndOnly, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Virgo2Beaver_PA-
Thank you for the vote of confidence! We too see much potential here at The Lodge at Geneva and continue to improve each year with more activities, added amenities and increased customer service as well as continual improvements in Horizons Restaurant. Guests are enjoying these improvements and scores are high from survey responses from guests who have stayed.

If you haven’t visited lately, here is what we have added to enhance your Lake Erie experience: New menu in Horizons Restaurant from our new Executive Chef with healthy options and a feature on locally acquired produce and meats; additional SPA options including longer massages, mani/pedi’s, facials, hair and make-up options as well as packages for groups; a Covered Bridge Tour package where we drive you around to visit the nearby bridges and Fall foliage beginning in September; a third vehicle for the wine shuttle to accommodate the high demand of guests and an outdoor pool snack bar called ‘Erie Breeze’ with snacks and beverages you can enjoy poolside!

With so much added value- we hope you’ll visit soon to enjoy all these amenities and see that we are right here; making your stay even better than before. If at any time during your stay you have any concern, please note that we are always on hand and willing to help create a special experience for each individual guest.
medina
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Very expensive for what you get. Front desk staff was not friendly. Had problems with our room and they did not help us. There is a blinking green stobe in the room all night. Probably a smoke detector. I finally was able to cover it up. There was a lot of noise in the hallways. Room was not ready when we arrived. It looks like a very promising stay but for what we paid we were not happy with service, rooms or the stay. Unable to use pool. Horizon's Room was ok for dinner but slow. The Lodge is on Lake Erie so that is good. Approximately 30% of the other reviews rate this place as average, poor or terrible. If I ran my business and 30% of my customers were unhappy I would not be raving about how we are the best Lodge in the area and training other staffs throughout the country. I have been to Yellowstone and other state and national parks. There is no comparison between Geneva and the other places. Geneva has a good location. Many of the reviews on this site talk about the great view. They also mention poor or below average treatment but still give the Lodge a rating of 5. We ended up cutting our stay shorter to go home and relax.

8 Thank John L
Dasiy_TheOneAndOnly, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
JohnL-

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay. We very rarely, if ever, receive comments about our staff being unfriendly. I am sorry if this happened to you and I would love the opportunity to talk to you about this instance so I can work with our managers to ensure it never happens again.

Also, I do apologize that we could not offer more assistance with your room, however, our sold out status during your stay made meeting your expectations less than achievable. As you know, early check-ins are not guaranteed, though we do try to accommodate these requests when made.

For pool availability, sometimes it is necessary to close the pool when testing shows that the chemical balance may be unsafe for guests. We take the safety of our guests very seriously and only close the pool for up to an hour when evening out the balance to make the pool safe for all to enjoy. Luckily we have 2 pools and 1 is always available in the summer if/when we are servicing the other.

It is good to hear that you have visited our other properties such as Yellowstone National Park! I would like to share that we consistently outperform almost all of our Delaware North Companies, Inc. Parks & Resorts properties counterparts from DNC’s ‘Tell us about us’ survey which guests receive from every property after check-out.

We do receive 80%-90% customer satisfaction in all guest service areas such as Front Desk Greeting, Overall Friendliness, Likelihood to Recommend, and Overall Satisfaction from our guests.

I certainly wish you had a more enjoyable time and I look forward to discussing your visit personally if you are willing to share the details. You may contact The Lodge directly and ask for myself.

At your service,
Daisy Hall
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Paid over $400. Husband & I stayed 2 nts for our anniversary..did weds thru fri. We travel A LOT..from red roofs to the Ritz..Here's the good, bad & ugly.
We know the area, we like the fact that you have options. Winery hopping, scenic views of Harpersfield, and discovering some great food and wine. Then you have the State Park, walking & biking trails, the beach area of the park which looked pretty clean and serene..trail runs behind the lodge. Not for the serious biker..only 2 miles..perfect for us. Then you have the yesteryear "carni" feel of the Strip. T-shirt shops, arcades, gritty bars, bikers,ferris wheel, Eddie Grill(must-see)...Mary's Kitchen(on new st.), awesome breakfast! We luv it all, that's why we decided to finally after all these years get a room and not worry about driving home.

Lake view & balcony is nice to have in the summer months.
Pool is small but clean and orderly. Towels are the size of hand towels so bring your own beach towels. Small snack stand with over priced snacks and alcoholic beverages. Bring cash or have it charged to room, no credit card or debit machine.
Room was pretty darn sad for $400! We had two full size beds because of idiot at reservation line. Old pine furniture that was a tiny scale..like for a child's room. No decorations. NO FRIDGE or MICROWAVE.
Bathroom equivalent to a road side motel.
Beds are a mess. Bed spread looked like a boys dorm room. Scratchy & plaid..guess that's a "lodge look". NO bed skirts..institutional.
Property was unkept..never saw one soul maintaining grounds. Weeds everywhere..landscaping under main lodge sign burned out and weak.
Front desk staff needs to get a personality..no smiles, no "what brings you folks here?"..room are NOT ready even a minute before 4pm. They almost acted scared to offer up any warmth or information..."body snatcher" demeanor. Honestly, sad reception area sets the tone of the trip people..maybe for business not anniversary and not for $400. Check your debit, waiting for a hotel credit to go back on takes 3-5 bus days.
Do yourself a favor, come to Geneva for a day trip..if winery hopping stay at a bed & breakfast & call a cab!

11 Thank cug2
Cug2-
Your review is inclusive and very informative on the whole surrounding area and activities- what a ‘story’ you have shared! I see that you are an avid reviewer on TripAdvisor and I truly appreciate that you took the time to review The Lodge as it appears your readers turn to your feedback for trip consideration.

As the outdoor pool kiosk was brand new during your stay, you’ll be happy to know that we now have the capability to charge credit cards right there on site, rather than running inside to process credit card orders as before.

Also, many of our enhanced rooms such as the two room suites and family rooms do come with microwaves and refrigerators in them. And we offer FREE fridges & microwaves to all guests upon request from the front desk for any room type based on availability, I am sorry you did not get to enjoy these amenities during your stay.

While most of our guests enjoy the ‘Lodge look’ of the room décor as they stay with us, I apologize that the aesthetic did not appeal to your expectations. Inadvertently, we have also received many compliments on the new relaxing décor in the lobby and several guests have commented that they can enjoy the reception area so much more with added seating and more opportunities to relax by the four story fireplace with friends.

I’m not sure what you experienced when you stayed as far as landscaping, however, you’ll be happy to know that we have a local company who expertly maintains the grounds as well as support from our own maintenance crew. Despite the drought that the area is experiencing, we did add all new flower gardens out front of The Lodge; rose bushes, trees and plants at the beginning of the season which are flourishing- making our landscaping plush and enjoyable for guests enjoyment and photos.

I assure you that none of our associates have been ‘body snatched’ and while we are in full swing of our busy season, the front desk staff does their best to provide each guests with gracious and friendly service at all times.

I certainly wish your stay was more to your liking- and recommend a visit in Fall, Winter or Spring when our rates will be more agreeable to you as well as the wine shuttle to take the stress of driving away so you can sit back, relax and enjoy the area.
Stow, Ohio
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Really enjoyed the lovely atmosphere. The room was nice, comfortable, and clean. My sister and i had a room on the ground floor with a patio that looked out onto the lake. The outdoor and indoor pools were wonderful with fun water options for children. I would definitely recommend paying extra for the lake view unless you have kids and want to be able to see the pool area from your room. the food was very good, but the options might seem somewhat limited to some folks. Nice option to sit outside and have a drink or eat. Make sure you are there to watch the sun set on the lake!

Room Tip: Choose the lake side but you may want to ask for a room further from the dining area as they have li...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Ohio
Reviewed 14 July 2012

My husband and I are frequent guests at the Lodge and love the relaxing atmosphere. We enjoy visiting the area and the wineries. Going out and watching the Sunsets on the lake are a must! Amazing to watch the lake swallow the sun! We did notice that they added a flat screen TV and the One cup coffeemaker since our last visit. I read on another review about the coffee makers and bought a box of coffee and tea to bring along. They provided two cups and a decaf as well as a tea. They did have a selection in the gift shop at a premium price. If I had a wish list for the rooms it would be that they provide a refriderator and microwave. We get a king jacuzzi suite and for the price it would be a nice addition. The decor could use some upgrading. There was a very ugly rug that looks like it had seen it's better days by the Jacuzzi in our room. There used to be a really pretty long rug with grapes on it. The new floral bedcover needs replaced, looks like something from the 70's. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are super quiet. This is one of the only hotels that we actually sleep comfortably in. We missed the little snack/coffee shop that was there last year. There is an additon of a snack bar by the pool this year. Nice additon, but the prices were really expensive. The hotel is spot clean and our housekeeper Jennifer was super. She was the only employee that was concerned about our visit. I would love to come here and have the employees go out of their way to make our stays exceptional. I want to feel special when I travel and they just don't go above and beyond to do that. I asked a few questions at the desk and was made to feel that I was bothering them, They didn't even ask if we enjoyed our visit upon check out. We spent alot of time at the pool on this trip as it was really hot. Some of the people at the pool bragged that they stay at cabins nearby and come swimming at the pool at the lodge. We also watched some teens that weren't guests of the lodge ride their bikes and help themselves to the pool. There were alot of tots in the hot tub outside as well. I didn't think children were supposed to go in hot tubs? I was actually told that they didn't like the bubbles on when they were in there! I had to laugh when I told my husband that a group of 4 and 5 year olds voted me out of the hot tub. No parents around? Perhaps the lodge may need to go to an wrist band system that some resorts have. At least monitor the pool a few times a day? The pool is one reason we love coming here and don't mind paying for it. We ate breakfast at the lodge restaurant and it was delicious. The restaurant staff were very nice . The lodge is a lovely place and we will return but come on.....step up your game and get some excellent customer service going!

1 Thank Zeppland
Zeppland- Thank you so much for your review, but thank you even more for being a return guest to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake. We do appreciate your visits and the info you share with other potential guests is irreplaceable.

I’m glad you enjoy the sunsets- they are pretty spectacular out here! I am also happy that you enjoyed the upgraded room amenities and I have passed your comments about the choice of rug for the whirlpool on to our housekeeping ordering staff.

Also, after your review and some supervision, we have taken your wise advise to heart and initiated a wristband policy for our pool areas. While we are just beginning, and there are sure to be kinks in the process, ensuring that the pool areas are reserved for our overnight guests has become a top priority with added security checks throughout the day. Thank you for the recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
Hampton Inn Ashtabula
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 5 in Painesville

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!