“Great location for a relaxing getaway, some rooms have a better view of lake than others and balconies, good parking.”

The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

Room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Staff was great and very friendly. Room size was average and you must request a mini fridge which I thought should have been standard in a room with this high of a price tag. The air conditioner had problems but we were too tired to switch rooms and yes they did offer. The indoor pool was being renovated in a lake front building surrounded by windows. The outdoor pool looked very nice also. The restaurant breakfast buffet was good with omelets made to your liking and fresh fruit, but it was a little pricey. Overall, we had a nice stay and would like to go back but will look for some kind of discounts or package deals.

• Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the lodge at could not been more satisfied. The room was clean, the staff was friendly, and the location was close to all wineries. We had a fantastic trip and are already planning our return visit!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ben G
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My husband and I just stayed at the lodge. It is a beautiful location! Our room overlooked Lake Erie which we really enjoyed. The desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was beautiful and the food was very good. We really enjoyed sitting outside eating breakfast overlooking the lake. The room was really clean but my only concern was that beds were uncomfortable. My husband and I both woke up with back aches. I just feel like the beds should be updated. The price of the room should mean that you don't wake up with your back hurting! All in all we loved it and we will go back but hope for a better bed!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We had stayed at the Lodge this past Thursday the 15th to celebrate our Anniversary, I had reserved a Premium King Room with Balcony. When we checked in we were excited when we were told that we had been upgraded to a Jacuzzi Suite, but when we got to the room we were very disappointed. There was not a Balcony and just a window that would not open, the chase lounge seemed old and not inviting to sit on or touch, and the exhaust fan in bathroom did not work. We loved all the amenities that the Lodge offered but the room was just unacceptable! We never used the Jacuzzi bath, but we would have used the balcony.

If we ever get a chance to go again I will never except a room "UPGRADE" again.

I mentioned to front desk about not having a balcony and they told me all balcony rooms were booked.

Disappointed

Room Tip: Make sure to get a Balcony Room
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Steve P
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I booked this hotel directly with the lodge via phone. I was planning for a suite for 3 nights, July 31-August 3rd. I only looked at my emailed confirmation number, not the specifics of the dates. My bad. I called the day of check in to tell the hotel I would be coming in late and they confirmed that I had only reserved 2 nights. I said, "no, I know it was for 3 nights, because another hotel in town only had 2 nights and referred me to The Lodge." Well, my compliant was to no avail. They could have cared less and did nothing to help me with the dilemma. The man that answered the phone said he called his manager and that the manager listened to the original call I made, nearly 3 weeks earlier, (I find that hard to believe) and that I had requested only 2 nights. I told him that was highly unlikely because I planned on staying 3 days in the area. He then told me they had a non suite room for the last night. The kicker? I room was the same price as the suite! Really?! I told him the price of the non suite room, on line, was $50 less. He said," well, this is a weekend night!" I told him, if I was packing up my family, I would be leaving the entire resort. I thought their customer service was terrible. They screwed up the reservation, then wanted to "stick it to me" with a high priced standard room as a remedy. I will not stay here again, which is sad because the over all resort is pretty (the suite was just okay, the chair in the living room had a tear in it and the carpet had a few stains, but it was large with a full table and living room) The foyer has a great fireplace. The walk to the beach is quiet and very clean.(the lodge isn't on the sandy beach, it is a walk through the park like grounds, about 15 minutes.) The other staff was generally kind and helpful. The pool was fairly well maintained, though smaller than the picture looks online.
My kids ended up happy that we left, as we drove into Erie Pa and had a great time at Presque Isle. While Gevena on the Lake is an okay town, there wasn't as much to do. It's a better place to just relax, but our family is active and would rather have shopping, boating, sightseeing, as well as the water.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room, otherwise, you get a view of the parking lot
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank TamTomK
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Was immediately disappointed in this establishment when I was informed that the "room type" that I had reserved did not guarantee a balcony lake view. This was true but unfortunately the gentleman who booked this for me assured me that it was. The dayturn supervisor repeatedly informed me that I had booked the wrong room type even though I understood perfectly. As we were waiting for our room she waiting on another two ladies who HAD apparently booked the correct room "type" and while I was standing there literally gushed over how wonderful their view would be and how lovely their room was. A bit insensitive at the least. I was able to view the water from my room if I stood on my tiptoes and looked to my far right. Regardless she did comp me a credit towards food there so that was appreciated... until I ate the food. It was buffet with limited choices and very average tasting cafeteria style food. I sound like an ingrate but I am glad I only paid for my daughter's meal and not two. The pool was lovely (too cold out to use in June) and surroundings were clean and nice. I couldn't help but get the feeling that I was at a really nice nursing home facility. Not sure why I felt that. Also there is no access to the beach which was disappointing however there are picturesque walkways by water. It was almost 300 for 2 nights and we left after one night. In all fairness the weather was lousy and that may have skewed my vacation attitude somewhat. Unfortunately, other than one other highly reviewed establishment in Geneva on the Lake, this is the only game in town. Won't be back.

Room Tip: Clarify your room type when you reserve!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank nurseontheloose
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My husband and I stayed on a Monday and Tuesday (July 29-30) and a wonderful stay at The Lodge. Being early in the week, the hotel wasn't crowded and we had very prompt and friendly service in the restaurant. We had the choice at breakfast of ordering off the menu or going to the limited buffet. Both were OK though I would have liked a greater variety of fruit. We enjoyed having our meals outdoors on the restaurant terrace. The view of Lake Erie and the Lodge's lawns and gardens are quite beautiful. We drove into Cleveland to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and were glad to relax by the pool when we returned. I thought the prices were fair considering the exceptional location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
Hampton Inn Ashtabula
#1 of 3 in Geneva on the Lake
Motel 6 Geneva
Motel 6 Geneva
#1 of 2 in Geneva

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!