“Good overnight stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Good overnight stay”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife and I had a good experience with our overnight. The Lodge staff was extremely friendly upon checking in. The room and Lodge as a whole were clean and up to date. Very spacious room with a nice view of the Lake. Pool area was clean.

We had a sub-par experience at the restaurant in the lodge. It took about 20 minutes to get our drinks after our server finally figured out what they had in stock. The server forgot to check in on us and food came very late. Despite this, our server was very friendly and comp'd some items on the bill. Breakfast buffet was great.

I would recommend this as a nice, relaxing place to stay or take family members.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Medina
Reviewed 8 February 2014

They graciously let us check in early. The staff was friendly. The views of the frozen lake were beautiful, especially as the sun set while we ate dinner in the window filled restaurant. The lit up gazebo was stunning, too bad it was too cold to go sit in it. The perch dinner was disappointing as it tasted like it was pre-breaded and frozen. I expected more for a chef's special. However, the breakfast buffet made up for it with a wide selection including a delicious omelet station with fresh veggies. The rooms were clean and neatly decorated. There was no fan in the bathroom, which was missed. Overall, it was very quiet all night, but almost too quiet. It would be nice to be able to run a fan in the room without it affecting the room temperature. The pool was clean with a very comfortable water temperature.

Room Tip: The third floor rooms facing the lake offer the best views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bernie V
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary here, and we loved it. The Lodge is so pretty and well maintained, and the Staff are very friendly! We also signed up for the winery tour, which was very convenient! Don was our driver, and he made the ride so much fun! We stopped at 4 wineries, and spent about an hour at each one (we did spend more time at the winery where we ate dinner). We have stayed at other (cheaper) hotels in the area, and would much prefer spending a little extra to stay here. The convenience and amenities are well worth it!

Tip - definitely reserve your bus spots early, as the later time slots tend to fill up quickly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Samantha H
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here with a group of friends. They let us check in early because prior to arriving we booked a wine tour for about $17.00 each. This left at 1:00 and was for 5 hours. The bus picked us up in front of the lodge and took us to 4 wineries we were able to stay at each for an hour. The first one was Ferrante. We were told they had the best food. We had time to grab a few appetizers and they were right. Excellent! I had packed a basket with snacks and was only permitted to take it into the 3rd winery which was South River Vineyard or (The Old Church...really cool). This was fine with me because the driver let me leave it on the bus till I needed it. When we got back to the hotel we each got cleaned up and had reservations at 6:30 for dinner. The food was good but not over the top. After dinner there was a band playing really great music in the lounge. Most of us hung out there and had a blast while a few others went swimming and to the Jacuzzi. The band quit at about midnight and that was fine because we had a long day. We woke up in the morning and had the breakfast buffet. The best part of this was that a cook stood there and prepared your omelet just the way you like it. The view in the restaurant is pretty. It's all glass and looks over the water. When we got to talking my friends all agreed that it was a wonderful time. One of my friends didn't bring her husband because he doesn't like wine. Well all of the places we went also served at least beer and I actually think they all served any type of alcohol as well. My advise to you would be to book months in advance. We did and about a month before our reservation some other friends tried to book a room and it was sold out. The only complaint I had was about the service. I normally wouldn't comment on service but the bar was so bad I thought I was invisible. There was a woman bartender who knew what she was doing but the guy bartender on my side of the bar was so bad I ended up running to my room to grab a glass of wine and in the restaurant in the morning (it was a little bizarre) the staff walk around in circles like they were really busy but they wen't however we had fun watching them. Our bus driver was great though so I'll give service a 3.

Room Tip: Book months in advance they completely sell out on weekends.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cindy K
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Staff was well attentive for my short planned trip.
As it was off season, the wife and I felt as if we had the entire lodge to ourselves.
We came down for dinner a tad too late and the wait staff opened the dinning area back up for us and gave us prime seating in front if the fireplace.
Room was amazing. Food was great. Wine and cheese tray was luxurious. Staff was A+.

Room Tip: The best value is the king package with wine and cheese tray.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Daisy_TheOneAndOnly, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
KNS_registered-

Thank you for sharing your review of The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake. I will pass along your great comments to the staff at our next staff meeting. It is great to hear we could be so accommodating for you in Horizons Restaurant during your visit and that you enjoyed everything! Thank you for visiting and we hope to see you again soon.

Daisy Hall
League City, Texas
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Staff friendly, helpful, terrific. Facility very nice, clean well appointed. Restaurant, excellent. Highly recommend. Excellent for families, couples, etc. Great value, real gem! Lots to do even in winter. We will be back in spring/summer.

Room Tip: All rooms great views
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

I also dated here last summer; it 's even pretty with snow.

Here's what I enjoyed:
--friendly staff
--clean room w/ porch
--quiet lodging

All for $99. Go. Enjoy.

Indulge at wonderful Lakehouse Spa down the street. The gals there are the best.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Chocoholicjr:
Just wanted to say THANK YOU so very much for your positively inclusive review! I am so happy to hear comments from guests who come in the winter season like yours and truly enjoy the tranquil escape you find here at The Lodge. It’s a far cry from the hustle and bustle of Summer and an experience I think everyone should enjoy. Did you have a chance to enjoy the outdoor hot tub as well? Being able to gaze out over frozen Lake Erie in steamy comfort is a treat for anyone visiting Ohio in winter!
See you again soon, Daisy Hall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
Hampton Inn Ashtabula
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 5 in Painesville

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!