“Good place to base for Ohio Wine Country”

The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We stay here fairly regularly (once or twice a year). The Lodge is very pretty - they completely updated the dining room two years ago and it has a gorgeous fireplace now. The bar area is a bit larger now. They have a selection of local Ohio wines.
The rooms are clean and large. I do wish they all had refrigerators and microwaves. There is enough space to put in a little unit, but only the suites have them. I also wish they would have queen beds, but the standard rooms are all just doubles. Again the rooms are large enough to accomodate it.
The staff is friendly. Our room deal included breakfast for two - which was quite a deal as it was good for the buffet. The buffet is very good and has a make to order omlette station. All the food was good and stove hot.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vacation_addict_Ohio
Daisy H, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

vacation_addict_Ohio-

I love your profile name! Thank you so very much for your great review. It means so much to all of us here at The Lodge when an honest customer goes on and leaves their feedback.

I wanted to let you in on a little secret... (all of our double beds will bed changed to queen beds by the end of this year)! We are working to replace all of our mattresses to Serta brand mattresses beginning this month and as we do so will be upgrading all of our doubles to queen size beds. As you mentioned there is space and we are excited to offer added comfort to guests this year!

Another great bit of information is our upcoming Lounge refresh coming in 2014. We will be adding in more flat screens for more guests to catch their favorite games (more that 2 at a time) and changing the configuration a bit to make it even more functional for guests as well with added seating.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to serving you again soon at The Lodge and in Horizons Restaurant & Lounge!

Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

I called on January 24th,2014 to make a reservation for
the weekend of
March 14-15,2014. The girl made my reservation and told me the first nights room rate of $ 216.00 was due (which I paid immediately )the 2nd night would be need to be paid at checkout. I then received an email with only one (1) day reserved. I proceeded to call and speak with a MGR. to alert them of the reservation mistake. The management told me there are NO rooms available and I do not have a room for the second night. I am traveling from hours away and all rooms at area hotels are booked. I am furious that management is unwilling to find a solution to accommodate the original reservation.
***If Geneva Lodge management honors the original reservation for both days I will amend my current poor review. ***

Stayed: January 2014
7  Thank Paula B
Daisy H, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Paula-

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am so sorry to hear the information from your call with our reservation agent did not transfer over to your confirmation letter.

I have looked into your booking with our Front Desk Manager and have located a room for you for the entire time you booked. I will reach out shortly to ensure it is the room type you prefer.

I know you spoke to our Front Desk Manager as well last weekend who did everything in her power locate a room for you as soon as possible. Thank you for letting us know what happened, for your patience and please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

Sincerely, Daisy Hall

Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife and I had a good experience with our overnight. The Lodge staff was extremely friendly upon checking in. The room and Lodge as a whole were clean and up to date. Very spacious room with a nice view of the Lake. Pool area was clean.

We had a sub-par experience at the restaurant in the lodge. It took about 20 minutes to get our drinks after our server finally figured out what they had in stock. The server forgot to check in on us and food came very late. Despite this, our server was very friendly and comp'd some items on the bill. Breakfast buffet was great.

I would recommend this as a nice, relaxing place to stay or take family members.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2014

They graciously let us check in early. The staff was friendly. The views of the frozen lake were beautiful, especially as the sun set while we ate dinner in the window filled restaurant. The lit up gazebo was stunning, too bad it was too cold to go sit in it. The perch dinner was disappointing as it tasted like it was pre-breaded and frozen. I expected more for a chef's special. However, the breakfast buffet made up for it with a wide selection including a delicious omelet station with fresh veggies. The rooms were clean and neatly decorated. There was no fan in the bathroom, which was missed. Overall, it was very quiet all night, but almost too quiet. It would be nice to be able to run a fan in the room without it affecting the room temperature. The pool was clean with a very comfortable water temperature.

Room Tip: The third floor rooms facing the lake offer the best views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bernie V
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary here, and we loved it. The Lodge is so pretty and well maintained, and the Staff are very friendly! We also signed up for the winery tour, which was very convenient! Don was our driver, and he made the ride so much fun! We stopped at 4 wineries, and spent about an hour at each one (we did spend more time at the winery where we ate dinner). We have stayed at other (cheaper) hotels in the area, and would much prefer spending a little extra to stay here. The convenience and amenities are well worth it!

Tip - definitely reserve your bus spots early, as the later time slots tend to fill up quickly.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Samantha H
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here with a group of friends. They let us check in early because prior to arriving we booked a wine tour for about $17.00 each. This left at 1:00 and was for 5 hours. The bus picked us up in front of the lodge and took us to 4 wineries we were able to stay at each for an hour. The first one was Ferrante. We were told they had the best food. We had time to grab a few appetizers and they were right. Excellent! I had packed a basket with snacks and was only permitted to take it into the 3rd winery which was South River Vineyard or (The Old Church...really cool). This was fine with me because the driver let me leave it on the bus till I needed it. When we got back to the hotel we each got cleaned up and had reservations at 6:30 for dinner. The food was good but not over the top. After dinner there was a band playing really great music in the lounge. Most of us hung out there and had a blast while a few others went swimming and to the Jacuzzi. The band quit at about midnight and that was fine because we had a long day. We woke up in the morning and had the breakfast buffet. The best part of this was that a cook stood there and prepared your omelet just the way you like it. The view in the restaurant is pretty. It's all glass and looks over the water. When we got to talking my friends all agreed that it was a wonderful time. One of my friends didn't bring her husband because he doesn't like wine. Well all of the places we went also served at least beer and I actually think they all served any type of alcohol as well. My advise to you would be to book months in advance. We did and about a month before our reservation some other friends tried to book a room and it was sold out. The only complaint I had was about the service. I normally wouldn't comment on service but the bar was so bad I thought I was invisible. There was a woman bartender who knew what she was doing but the guy bartender on my side of the bar was so bad I ended up running to my room to grab a glass of wine and in the restaurant in the morning (it was a little bizarre) the staff walk around in circles like they were really busy but they wen't however we had fun watching them. Our bus driver was great though so I'll give service a 3.

Room Tip: Book months in advance they completely sell out on weekends.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cindy K
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Staff was well attentive for my short planned trip.
As it was off season, the wife and I felt as if we had the entire lodge to ourselves.
We came down for dinner a tad too late and the wait staff opened the dinning area back up for us and gave us prime seating in front if the fireplace.
Room was amazing. Food was great. Wine and cheese tray was luxurious. Staff was A+.

Room Tip: The best value is the king package with wine and cheese tray.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Daisy_TheOneAndOnly, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

KNS_registered-

Thank you for sharing your review of The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake. I will pass along your great comments to the staff at our next staff meeting. It is great to hear we could be so accommodating for you in Horizons Restaurant during your visit and that you enjoyed everything! Thank you for visiting and we hope to see you again soon.

Daisy Hall

Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
Hampton Inn Ashtabula
#1 of 3 in Geneva on the Lake
Motel 6 Geneva
Motel 6 Geneva
#1 of 2 in Geneva

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!