“Nice place, a bit over priced”

The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wheelersburg
“Nice place, a bit over priced”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The lodge has been updated. Nice lobby and great library/table game room. The lake view was beautiful. Staff was helpful when we were looking for a common area for family to relax. Over priced for the area.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Mamatravele

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Youngstown, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had a great time....the lodge is just beautiful & very clean....the staff were great. However the food in the restaurant was not that great, & a bit pricey.....An overall great time.....Can't wait to come back!!!!!

Room Tip: A room with a view of the lake is a must
Green Features: I love that it is non-smoking! I also love the recycle policies & the linen reuse policy to help the environment.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Fredericktown, Ohio
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Lodge is a beautiful place to stay. We enjoy being near the water. The rooms are very clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful, especially Elizabeth at the front desk. She is great! The food at the Horizon restaurant was delicious. We enjoyed our dinner there and breakfast the next morning. We had the same hostess for both. We didn't get her name but she was wonderful, also.
We look forward to our next visit in the fall as we booked a room before we left for our anniversary.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dexter, Michigan
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was expecting a lot for the price and was sadly disappointed. The grounds are lovely and the paved pathway into the state park was great for walking and running with beautiful views of Lake Erie. Unfortunately the rest of our experiences there didn't match up. We didn't experience helpful staff nor were they responsive to our problems getting the internet to work. They never mentioned there was a business area with computers. When we ate at the restaurant, despite many empty tables, we had to wait more than 40 minutes to be seated. Then we were given a table around the corner and the waitress didn't see us until we managed to get her attention (did I mention that almost all the tables were empty?). Check in and check out took a long time (as in only one staff person available on a Friday afternoon) and no one bothered to explain where anything was. I've been to many amazing hotels and I've always received a brief but detailed explanation of the services and supports offered - even maps and suggestions for what to do. Not here. It was clear they were too busy with phone calls or other things to pay attention to us and I'm disappointed by our experience at the lodge.

Green Features: They claim to be environmentally friendly - having a waste basket for recycling seemed great but they did replace our towels even though we hung them up.
4 Thank funlovin782
Canfield, Ohio
Reviewed 7 July 2014

It was an outstanding facility! We loved the location for Geneva- on-the-Lake!
It was very relaxing and the room was amazing and very spacious.....
Loved being by Lake Erie and experienced a wedding by the water in the wedding gazebo!

Cleveland Ohio
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Amazing location close to home. What a relaxing venue and such gorgeous views of the lake. We really enjoyed out walk out room to the pool. The multipurpose trail is wonderful for watching the amazing sunsets or a nice walk or bike ride. e can't wait to go back next year for our 3rd visit. It's also wonderful that it is a dog friendly hotel.

Room Tip: We enjoy the first floor poolside room where we also had a view of the lake. We stayed in room 128...
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My family and I took a quick getaway here a few weeks ago. We enjoyed the beautiful lakeside setting and well-appointed lodge. We ordered pizza from the lodge restaurant and it along with the service was great! However, our room left a little something to be desired. We were in a family room with bunk beds. Upon arrival I noticed the carpet was not freshly swept. I asked for a vacuum and was promptly given one along with an apology over the condition of our room. I appreciated the apology, but would have liked it more if I hadn't had to sweep the room in the first place. There were also some big stains on the dresser that could have been cleaned up easily if someone had been paying attention.
It was a cooler day when we were there so we asked for extra blankets for our kids beds as the bunks only had a blanket (no comforter). I would have also liked an extra blanket, but apparently the hotel had no more spares! I found that odd since the hotel was not fully booked. Something else that was odd was that there were NO mattress covers on the bunk beds. Given that these are kids beds I found that a little gross. The bathroom also appeared to have had just a quick cleaning with the tub bottom being so slick I nearly fell.
Hopefully we just got a dud of a room. Now that I have kids I am not a clean freak, but I would expect some basic standards to be met in a hotel room. If I could rate this place 3 1/2, I would. The overall hotel is nice enough we want to try to stay again some other time and will hope for a better experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Wanderluster79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
Hampton Inn Ashtabula
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 5 in Painesville

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!