“Good place to throw your stuff and go party but not for sleeping.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Geneva on the Lake
Anchor Motel and Cottages
Columbus, Ohio
“Good place to throw your stuff and go party but not for sleeping.”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I am going to attempt to give the most fair review for this place as possible. Mostly because I feel the owners are extremely kind and trying to do a good job. I would highly recommend they watch 'Hotel Impossible' though.

It's best to tell this review in a story fashion.

I arrived at the hotel and was warmly greeting by Cathy the owner and her dog Cooper (adorable.) She just had foot surgery so I felt extremely bad even making her check me in. She was extremely nice and Cooper was just adorable! I received the key to my room (#6) and went to check in. The rooms are old wood pine so the electrical is run on the outside because they can't drill into the walls. Understandable I thought but it takes away from the finish of the room. I went to turn on the lights and two of the lights were off. Now I felt really bad because I had to go ask Cathy what I was doing wrong. She was nice enough to come over and help replace the bulbs. Now the room had some light. Make no mistakes, these are cottages and they are a bit homely, but they are CLEAN, very clean.

I will note that the room was cold. I turned the heater up to 89 and it was just tolerable. True these places were made for summer use only, but I did not want to walk around naked, especially in the bathroom.

The bathroom had a stand up plastic shower. Not the greatest luxury but usable. I was out of range of the Wu-Fi but I figured I could just use my phone for the evening. (Once again really trying to give this place a chance because of the owner.) I took a shower and went and got some food. When I came back I saw that right next to my room was a bar, with the speaker for the music right outside my door. I didn't think anything about it till about 6pm when the music started pumping. Okay, I figured, "Well they're probably turn it off at a reasonable time."

The last straw was when a family with two kids got the room next to me. With their door closed I could hear their conversation CLEARLY through the wall. It appeared that the wall had no sound proofing AT ALL. I was not going to put up with some angry parents yelling at their kids the entire night. Sadly at this point I was not staying there and could not get out there fast enough. I returned the key and didn't have the heart to ask for a refund because Cathy was so nice.

So here's my take on the place, if you are looking to visit Geneva and are planning to spend most your evening out on the town, this is a great place to throw your stuff down and leave. It's extremely clean, walking distance to everything and the management are extremely well intended individuals. The problem is that the hotel rooms (I'm not sure on the cottages) are not very well built and could use some remodeling (especially insulation on the walls.) If you're a twenties hipster looking for just a place to crash with your friends then its okay, however if you're anything more than that I would recommend elsewhere simply due to the lack of sound-proofing in the building.

I write this review with all trepidation because I really liked Cathy and I would never want to deter business away from anyone who rescues dogs and has a clean business. However I feel it's only fair to let other travels know what their getting into. I would imagine the stand alone cottages are probably the better deal in this situation. I thank Cathy for her warmth and kindness.

Room Tip: Do not get hotel room #6 next door to the bar.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ironhide1975
44041Anchor, Owner at Anchor Motel and Cottages, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
We would like to thank this guest for his/her kind approach in writing this review. In fact, we are well intentioned and kind towards our guests as we geniunely like them.

Had any issue mentioned herein been brought to our attention we could have addressed it. We have an additional 21 totally remodeled rooms that we have just opened at the beginning of March 2013. These rooms were mostly available. We would have happily offered a different room to this guest and customarily would have offered an upgrade for any inconvenience had we been made aware of the disatisfaction.

Many guests specifically request Room 6. We are aware of the proximity to the Lounge on the adjoining property. Some find this to their liking while others prefer a different setting.

With the additional rooms and cottages that we have addded we are now able to offer our guests both the authentic Knotty Pine, Geneva on the Lake experience or alternately, we can offer the modern Motel experience. We are happy to do either and will respond to any issue brought to our attention.

In Service,
Phil and Cathy King

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We had a good experience making reservation and checking in. We were put in Unit #4 at the front of the motel facing the road. It was late Sept and the season was winding down. This is a typical older motel with knotty pine walls and sagging beds. The location is great within walking distance to everything in town. The ice machine did not work, wifi signal was poor and we were not able to connect. The worst part was our neighbors in Unit #5. We cannot fault the motel for unruly guests that were up half the night, came in drunk, used foul language and chose to party outside our door until 2:30 AM. We did not, at the time, go out and confront them nor wake the owners in the middle of the night. However since I had emailed about the rates earlier and got a prompt reply, we chose to email the owners the next day. We recd a prompt, courteous reply and were advised that work was being done at the motel and the workers inadvertantly did not plug the ice machine back in.The wifi signal should have been ok as they usually only have trouble with the far back units. Although none of these issues were within managements control we were offered an apology and a complimentary one night stay good for a year. At $100 per night we would say this was more than fair to compensate for a poor experience, more than any chain would offer. Thank you Anchor for stepping up and showing good customer service. If we are in the area again, we will take you up on the offer.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of motel are probably quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank goodeye2
44041Anchor, Owner at Anchor Motel and Cottages, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
We take this and, all guests concerns very seriously. Therefore, as this guest indicated, we are remodelling and have purchased 2 additional lodging facilities directly adjacent to the Anchor that we are TOTALLY remodelling from the ground up. Though we are open for business now, we will be reopening with 43 rooms and cottages in Spring 2013. Through this effort we are hoping that our future guests will have a more positive experience which is our primary goal.
Phil and Cathy King
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed 19 July 2012

The anchor cottage was a great experience for us. The cottage i booked prior to going to geneva not anchor was unfit for me and my family i walked over to anchor and the owner set us up with a cottage he was super friendly and helpful. He directed us to the restaurants and how to get to the beach. Thank you again the management of this establishment!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank angielpn
Cortland OH
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I just wanted to Thank you for being such wonderful hosts. Our stay at your establishment was nothing less than awesome. You were informative about sites and places to visit. You absolutely catered toward a lot of us 50 year old's that don't wish to participate in the crawl. Your establishment is quiet, yet close to the strip, all within walking distance. Most important thing I would like to say about The ANCHOR MOTEL AND COTTAGES, is clean, clean, clean! We anticipate out next visit.
With sincere thanks to both of you, Cathy and Phil. We really appreciated our vacation. We will definitely see you again...
God Bless.................................................................Robbie and Patti Niemi
Niemi Construction, Cortland OH

Room Tip: The cottages are simply perfect.....
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Brunswick, Ohio
Reviewed 18 June 2012

The Anchor was the perfect motel to book for our trip! My boyfriend and I are in our early 20s and wanted to spend the weekend out on the strip, and the Anchor was literally only a minute walk from the start of the bars. It is perfect walking distance while still being just removed enough for a quiet night's sleep. There's also a small convenience store right across the street. We didn't drive all weekend. The interior was cute and cabin-like with wooden walls, the bed was gigantic, and best of all- everything was very clean. There is no maid service during the stay, but as an adult I can take care of myself, so it wasn't a problem.

Also, the woman who owns the place was SO friendly and welcoming. I was called on my way out there so they could make sure I knew the way, she answered all questions I went to her with over the weekend about local attractions, and best of all, since we checked out on a Sunday, she let us stay as late as we needed since she didn't have any other guests coming in. We were able to enjoy the day out without having to pack up until 5. I would absolutely book it again, very happy with my stay!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maria M
Monongahela, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Our disappointment in The Anchor Motel and Cottages is still talked about, My husband and I were hoping for a clean, comfortable place to relax. Good thing I keep the folding canvas chairs in the car. We have been going to Geneva on the Lake for years and always stayed at the Comfort Inn in Austinburg which was very nice at one time. It has been going down hill since the corporation sold it to a private owner, we decided to stay at The Anchor. When we called to see what was available, the motel rooms were, but no cottages. We read reviews and they were all positive so we booked it. HUGE MISTAKE!!!! The room was something from the 1950's. We wanted to stay the night and since the room was $110.00 a night with no refunds we were stuck. The double bed was ancient and the bathroom was smaller than any of our closets. The worst part was there was no maid service what so ever. When we left for the day, we returned to a unmade bed and wet towels. We aren't young, but we aren't dead, so when a group of people in the room next door decided to party till three a.m. we understood. But cranking up the Harleys at 4:00 a.m. was tough to swallow. We stayed the next night since we paid for 3 nights. We dropped our keys off in the morning and took the $110.00 loss which in very poor business practice, the owner did not return, we would have liked to have had half back, DO NOT STAY HERE. (One roll of toilet paper for a 3 day stay)

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank karen g
ohio
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My 3 young professional girl friends and I decided to spend the last three nights of summer out of the city at Geneva on the Lake for some good old redneck fun!!! And that is exactly what we got. :) I'm not a big camper...when it isn't 5 stars with room service it's as close to camping I get. We loved every second of this place. It's super cheap, pretty clean, and party friendly. If I had children I wouldn't being them here. But I'm sure many people would. We stayed in the motel. The key word being MOTEL. Which means no maid service and no luxury. The air conditioner worked and it was clean (although we prepared ourselves and brought our own bedding...yup I've seen the under- cover hotel news stories on tv.) Considering we were a total of 4 girls we flew through towels and TP...the staff was very accommodating and made sure to keep us loaded up. We liked this place. It was perfect for us.We were there is act foolish, drink, drink, drink and enjoy each other away from our men. If the lodge is full again next time I'm sure we will be back. We loved the rustic feeling!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank sraa01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
Ramada Austinburg/Ashtabula
Steele Mansion Inn & Gathering Hub
The Lakehouse Inn
The Lakehouse Inn
#1 of 3 in Geneva on the Lake

Been to Anchor Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!