“Great Find! Extremely Clean & Very Friendly!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anchor Motel and Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Geneva on the Lake
Anchor Motel and Cottages
Canal Winchester, Ohio
“Great Find! Extremely Clean & Very Friendly!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

We go to Geneva on the Lake 2 or 3 times a year, but we just found this gem, and this will be the only place we stay. Its conveniently on the east end of the strip, well within walking distance of all the restaurants, pubs and other attractions. The owners are very friendly and its obvious that they take great pride in their establishment. It is extremely clean and very well maintained. Having been in the hotel business, I can say that the large chains could learn lessons from these owners. Easily the best place to stay in Geneva on the Lake!

Room Tip: Easy. Any room. All are extremely clean and very well maintained.
2 Thank bklelux

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New Castle, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

We only stayed 1 night. It's a great location, friendly owners, CLEAN, and loved the rustic pine walls! I would recommend this place to anyone staying in the area. Will be back on a return trip and spread the word about this place.

Medina, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

It is difficult to find good reviews of hotels at Geneva on the lake because so many are older and not updated. Not so with the Anchor Hotel. The motel rooms were renovated over the off season. Our room was small but we expected that... Enough room for a king sized bed and a small table and chairs and tv (with direct tv) and stand. There is fresh paint (so fresh there was still the faint smell of it) on the walls and new carpet on the floor and what must be new beds that were very comfortable.. The bathroom was also new and clean. The hotel is on the far end of the strip but still an easy walk anywhere. Parking right outside your door was convenient. Management was friendly and helped us with a question about the thermostat...Tip: there is a booklet that shows you how to use it in one of the drawers. Remember that this is not the Ritz... nothing fancy...but everything you need for a comfortable and relaxing weekend. A coffee maker and coffee was a nice touch...would return here if we visit Geneva on the lake again.

2 Thank Kim M
Willowick, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

Went here last year for a family/friend get together. It was great. The location is fantastic. The place is at the far end of the strip, but it is still easily within 15 minutes walking of even Adventure Zone. The owners were what set this place apart from any other place I'd been to. They were extremely accommodating and they wanted to make you feel at home. We had several nice conversations with the owners and learned about the history of the place and what they were planning to do with it. If there was a problem, they do everything in their power to help you out and I do mean everything. Both were so nice to everyone in our entire group (we had a large group). Loved it and I can't wait to get back.

DO NOT go to Geneva on the Lake thinking that it is something that it is not. Geneva on the Lake is a biker haven. The people that complain about the motorcycles obviously haven't been to Geneva on the Lake.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

I am going to attempt to give the most fair review for this place as possible. Mostly because I feel the owners are extremely kind and trying to do a good job. I would highly recommend they watch 'Hotel Impossible' though.

It's best to tell this review in a story fashion.

I arrived at the hotel and was warmly greeting by Cathy the owner and her dog Cooper (adorable.) She just had foot surgery so I felt extremely bad even making her check me in. She was extremely nice and Cooper was just adorable! I received the key to my room (#6) and went to check in. The rooms are old wood pine so the electrical is run on the outside because they can't drill into the walls. Understandable I thought but it takes away from the finish of the room. I went to turn on the lights and two of the lights were off. Now I felt really bad because I had to go ask Cathy what I was doing wrong. She was nice enough to come over and help replace the bulbs. Now the room had some light. Make no mistakes, these are cottages and they are a bit homely, but they are CLEAN, very clean.

I will note that the room was cold. I turned the heater up to 89 and it was just tolerable. True these places were made for summer use only, but I did not want to walk around naked, especially in the bathroom.

The bathroom had a stand up plastic shower. Not the greatest luxury but usable. I was out of range of the Wu-Fi but I figured I could just use my phone for the evening. (Once again really trying to give this place a chance because of the owner.) I took a shower and went and got some food. When I came back I saw that right next to my room was a bar, with the speaker for the music right outside my door. I didn't think anything about it till about 6pm when the music started pumping. Okay, I figured, "Well they're probably turn it off at a reasonable time."

The last straw was when a family with two kids got the room next to me. With their door closed I could hear their conversation CLEARLY through the wall. It appeared that the wall had no sound proofing AT ALL. I was not going to put up with some angry parents yelling at their kids the entire night. Sadly at this point I was not staying there and could not get out there fast enough. I returned the key and didn't have the heart to ask for a refund because Cathy was so nice.

So here's my take on the place, if you are looking to visit Geneva and are planning to spend most your evening out on the town, this is a great place to throw your stuff down and leave. It's extremely clean, walking distance to everything and the management are extremely well intended individuals. The problem is that the hotel rooms (I'm not sure on the cottages) are not very well built and could use some remodeling (especially insulation on the walls.) If you're a twenties hipster looking for just a place to crash with your friends then its okay, however if you're anything more than that I would recommend elsewhere simply due to the lack of sound-proofing in the building.

I write this review with all trepidation because I really liked Cathy and I would never want to deter business away from anyone who rescues dogs and has a clean business. However I feel it's only fair to let other travels know what their getting into. I would imagine the stand alone cottages are probably the better deal in this situation. I thank Cathy for her warmth and kindness.

Room Tip: Do not get hotel room #6 next door to the bar.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ironhide1975
44041Anchor, Owner at Anchor Motel and Cottages, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
We would like to thank this guest for his/her kind approach in writing this review. In fact, we are well intentioned and kind towards our guests as we geniunely like them.

Had any issue mentioned herein been brought to our attention we could have addressed it. We have an additional 21 totally remodeled rooms that we have just opened at the beginning of March 2013. These rooms were mostly available. We would have happily offered a different room to this guest and customarily would have offered an upgrade for any inconvenience had we been made aware of the disatisfaction.

Many guests specifically request Room 6. We are aware of the proximity to the Lounge on the adjoining property. Some find this to their liking while others prefer a different setting.

With the additional rooms and cottages that we have addded we are now able to offer our guests both the authentic Knotty Pine, Geneva on the Lake experience or alternately, we can offer the modern Motel experience. We are happy to do either and will respond to any issue brought to our attention.

In Service,
Phil and Cathy King
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

We had a good experience making reservation and checking in. We were put in Unit #4 at the front of the motel facing the road. It was late Sept and the season was winding down. This is a typical older motel with knotty pine walls and sagging beds. The location is great within walking distance to everything in town. The ice machine did not work, wifi signal was poor and we were not able to connect. The worst part was our neighbors in Unit #5. We cannot fault the motel for unruly guests that were up half the night, came in drunk, used foul language and chose to party outside our door until 2:30 AM. We did not, at the time, go out and confront them nor wake the owners in the middle of the night. However since I had emailed about the rates earlier and got a prompt reply, we chose to email the owners the next day. We recd a prompt, courteous reply and were advised that work was being done at the motel and the workers inadvertantly did not plug the ice machine back in.The wifi signal should have been ok as they usually only have trouble with the far back units. Although none of these issues were within managements control we were offered an apology and a complimentary one night stay good for a year. At $100 per night we would say this was more than fair to compensate for a poor experience, more than any chain would offer. Thank you Anchor for stepping up and showing good customer service. If we are in the area again, we will take you up on the offer.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of motel are probably quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank goodeye2
44041Anchor, Owner at Anchor Motel and Cottages, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
We take this and, all guests concerns very seriously. Therefore, as this guest indicated, we are remodelling and have purchased 2 additional lodging facilities directly adjacent to the Anchor that we are TOTALLY remodelling from the ground up. Though we are open for business now, we will be reopening with 43 rooms and cottages in Spring 2013. Through this effort we are hoping that our future guests will have a more positive experience which is our primary goal.
Phil and Cathy King
Youngstown, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

The anchor cottage was a great experience for us. The cottage i booked prior to going to geneva not anchor was unfit for me and my family i walked over to anchor and the owner set us up with a cottage he was super friendly and helpful. He directed us to the restaurants and how to get to the beach. Thank you again the management of this establishment!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank angielpn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
Ramada Austinburg/Ashtabula
#1 of 3 in Geneva on the Lake
Motel 6 Geneva
Motel 6 Geneva
#1 of 2 in Geneva

Been to Anchor Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!