The Byke Heritage - Matheran
  • Room Service
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsrain dancelive musicluxury deluxeswimming poolexecutive suitehuge areamodern amenitiesin housepleasant staynice place to relaxhill stationbreakfast and dinnerevery eveningvisited matheranhorse ridingmagic showindoor games
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

Once a sought after resort in matheran has now come down to a basic hotel to stay with very poor maintenance.

We had planned a 2 night stay in the middle of Mumbai monsoon last weekend with a bunch of friends. We had booked 2 of their executive suite which comes with 2 beds each. The moment u enter the room u feel the age of the hotel and lack of maintenance was visible. Broken ceiling, missing fan, non working Electricals, bad quality mattress and blankets, dirty washroom etc were quite annoying but we got used to it. AC were in bad condition and one of them even broke down which was never repaired by their staff even after multiple calls. One of the inside bedroom of one suite didn't have any window or way of external light at all which I felt it was quite bad

The food was of mixed quality with lunch being th best of the lot with dinner taking the last place. Being "off season", we had to face the lack of service and lazy outlook by most of the staff members. Food was of overall decent quality and they were very good in accommodating food restrictions of some and provided with best alternatives.

The overall stay was just about alright and would probably will not go back there. Instead, next door usha ascot might just be a better option by paying a little extra. Bad choice on our part I must say. Most of the 3 star category hotels are evenly priced in matheran so I think once should check the reviews before booking.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Kushalshah
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I went to Byke in February for a couple of days in Matheran. Was suggested by a few family friends, but the staff was run down courteous. I handed over a visiting card at the entrance to no avail, they insisted on me WRITING down all details. Finally had to engage the GM to intervene and stop the nonsense. Cleanliness and room quality was just average, not worth the price it commands for Matheran comparison.
Food was ordinary, crowd was mostly Gujju and Marwaris and pure vegetarian food was the only plus.
Also items for lunch do not cater to all cusisines but taste was fine. Visit there for a family atmosphere but not much to look forward.

Room Tip: Pick something near the main area else walking which as it is much in Matheran would be even more cumbersome!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thisisankit
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had booked this hotel thru MakeMyTrip and this was supposed to be a 4 star hotel. I have stayed at better places. The front desk manager needs some kind of training in hospitality. Not forthcoming with information at all. Took no initiative to help us. The rooms are nothing great for the kind of money we paid. The breakfast was pathetic!! Value for money is "Zero"!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I'd pre-booked a room for 2 at The Byke in June. 1 day before my trip, they called up to inform me that due to water shortage, they would be cancelling all the booking and will refund the money. I asked for a refund and provided my account details. Meanwhile, I went ahead and went to Matheran and got excellent service despite the water shortage at The Lord's Central (with and amazing valley view!). After 3-4 follow-up calls and reminders, I finally got my refund back only at the end of July. Byke has been a big let-down in terms of customer service and promptness. Would not recommend anyone to book this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SKrishna
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed at Byke for 4 days and it was just a wonderful experience. Had been there before too many years back, but now they have built some new rooms near the pool which are quite good.
We stayed at the executive room by the pool and it was quite awesome.
The rooms here are very spacious and maintained well.The bath tub in the room though was not that great but it could be due to the kind of water that is there in matheran.
Food is never a problem at the byke, they have the best food in matheran, a very lavish breakfast, very good gujrati thalis for lunch and evenings are always the best with variety of foods.
The swimming pool is also very good.
And a word on the aurvedic massage parlour thast they have - its pretty awesome and reasonable.
All in all, i would any day stay at Byke in matheran each time i visit.

Room Tip: The pool facing rooms are the best rooms, choose from amongst the executive and super deluxe rooms
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple