Radha Cottage
  • Restaurant
Rangoli Retreat(Matheran)
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewsheritage bungalowsunrise pointlocated approximatelyrich heritagemaharashtrian foodmain marketvalue for moneypeaceful resortpuran polisurrounded by naturecharming placehomely stayexcellent place to stayvisiting matheranrooms are spacious and cleannice ambienceexcellent location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The exp. to live in radha and krishna's gokul..... specially the food..will satisfy ur stomach & soul...peace of mind...whenever u r plan to matheran u must be at radha cottage...exellent service....good location and maintaining

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank hgy6ghii
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I think you got the whole idea about everything by reading just adjectives.

YES. I celebrated my first valentine day with my wife. Initially, i was bit scared as none of my friend has gone there and i didnt knew how it is going to be. I was totally dependent on tripadvisor.in's reviews. And i think i made the right move.

The rooms are quite clean n neat. We stayed in Deluxe room just in front of the road. it was a house before which the management has converted to cottage. hence the room was of old type. but, it was peaceful... i just loved it. the overall ambiance of the cottage was also good. from the deluxe room you get the view of jungle. It was so nice to sit on the chair, relax and look @ the sunset (which i hardly see in mumbai)

Staff is friendly. And one thing i would like to tell you. THE FOOD IS JUST AWESOME....i ate VEG more than NONVEG though i am a chicken lover. its delicious (both veg and nonveg)

The price is also OK. 1500/person/day. I dont know whether they have increased the price now.

Games: Carom, seesaw, Table football

Only one hitch. Its one hour away (by walk) from Dasturi and half hour away from Market.
But this you can neglect as, because of this reason it gives you peace. Another thing, a little better amenities would have been a surplus. Anyway, i chose a budget room and hence didn't mind the old amenities of deluxe room.

Its ideal for couples/2 families(can stay in bungalow)

Though dormitories are specious, but i personally felt it will be little congestive for groups...others may have different opinion.

So guys, If you want peace, tasty food, affordable rates and DONT mind that 1 hr walk, GO FOR IT.

I want to thank for the people who wrote the review about this cottage on tripadvisor. Thanks a lot.

Room Tip: IF you want jungle view, roadside view and want to see sunset.. Go for Deluxe room but amenities are of old type.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dr_guru1982
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My overall experience right from booking to check out was fantastic.

I decided on Radha Cottage solely after reading positive reviews on-line and I am glad I could give my family a great time.

I visited Radha cottage with my wife and 5 month old infant being super cautious about the room hygiene, overall property, food, hospitality and above all staff.
I did the booking on phone with Ms Vidula (owner) who is gem of a person and gave me a better deal than what i could see on-line. She is kind, soft spoken and also helped me decide on a honeymoon room/ cottage for my small family.

After visiting the place, we found the honeymoon room cozy but less spacious as what we expected looking at the on-line pics. This made my slightly uncomfortable at the first go as I also had my infant son along. Through the lady manager I spoke to Vidula Madam who acknowledged my concern and without much questions thankfully upgraded me to duplex Villa (partial possession though) since they were available. Now folks, this is something which I highly appreciate of Vidula Madam, lady manager and Radha cottage as this gave me a sense of what their motto are. Many thanks !!!

We then shifted to Cottage # 9, where we could access a bedroom, living room and a balcony. Overall both were appropriately maintained rooms but duplex Villas are awesome and very spacious for large families or bigger groups.

We stayed here for 3 nights. Every meal was pleasurable and big thanks goes to the seniors chef who is know as 'Mama'. Every dish prepared by him and his team was delicious and my taste buds still call for Mutton Masala. Food was authentic Maharashtrian thali with nice course with limited but adequate choices which is served on your table. I am a food lover and will rate then 5 / 5.
Best was, they were flexible in planning next meal in conjunction with what we would prefer (ofcourse in reasonable limits)

Staff boys are young, energetic and are very helpful. Raju is the senior person looking after everything at the property after the lady manager. Room service is timely.

They have a small garden area with couple of swings and a slide which is mainly a children's play area. Mobile network has limited access here which I loved as you don't really wanna be running around your ever buzzing phones while on vacation. Rooms are equipped with intercom and every reasonable amenity that I wished for at the given price.

I would rank their overall hospitality the best as I experienced Orange County (Coorg) here where their motto is guest's satisfaction and high quality service.

Only con side is Radha cottage is quite distant from the Matheran station which warrants around 20 mins of walk however its worth if you wish to be a closer to the nature with a good property.

Beware of your bags and other belongings with monkeys around.

Again, Thanks a a ton for taking care of my family and I will look forward to visit again in a distant future.

Room Tip: Go for Duplex if your pocket permits...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Prem p
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Haven't even begun the vacation yet...booked a Trip ID 1403281841 via Cleartrip since the hotel website had some glitches. Cleartrip agent wouldn't give me Radha Cottage's phone number, but called them himself and asked our questions and clarifications. We are a family of 4, with 1 child over 12 and 1 under 12. Specifically I asked how big each room is- we didn't want to be cramped - was 1 room in a Heritage bungalow big enough to accommodate all 4 of us? If not should we book 2 rooms I asked.
The agent clearly informed me there was just ONE double bed per room, so I'd need to book 2 rooms. Then he said I'd get the whole cottage (3 rooms) in my booking, they wouldn't put another family there. Quoted a rate of approx. Rs. 30,000 for 3 nights. When I pointed out the rates on the website were lower, he said those were for just 2 guests, this rate is for 4 guests.
Guess what? I did get the Radha Cottage number on the booking voucher they sent me (after I made my non-refundable payment)- and the very nice lady at Radha Cottage said we had paid for EIGHTEEN people!! She said each room can accommodate SIX people, there are 3 beds per room!!! I've been gypped...and to make matters worse, ClearTrip has not done anything about this. I was put on endless holds, the agent who made the booking tried to lecture me that I had myself asked for 2 rooms, and then said what can he do, the booking is non-refundable. When I insisted on a supervisor, he said one would call me back at 4 pm. I called again at 3:30 and was told a supervisor was working on my case and would call me between 4 and 4:15 pm today.
Unfortunately no call came and I am now stuck with a booking for 18 people - and having paid approx Rs. 30,000 for a holiday that should have cost Rs. 10,000.

This miscommunication is most likely the fault of Cleartrip, unless someone at Radha Cottage gave misleading information...but between them, the customer has wasted hours and lost a lot of money.

AVOID CLEARTRIP!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Shubhatole
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is an wonderful place to stay in Matheran if you want to be away from the crowds and be a bit closer to nature. It has beautiful grounds and the rooms are spacious. The staff was very helpful and the food quite good. Note that it is quite a walk from the train station. If you have many bags and/or children to tend to you might consider a rick-shaw, horse, porter, etc.

Also note that the town of Matheran is somewhat trashy and carnival-like (although charming in its own way too) and has a loud party vibe at night. Hotel Radha Cottage and places like it are much better suited for those who want to go outside the town, hike, see nature/vistas, etc. Also, note monkeys are fierce - watch your bags & popsicles!

Room Tip: They offer a variety of rooms so ask to see what's available if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family