Brightlands Resort
  • Pool
Rangoli Retreat(Matheran)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Room Service
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I have just returned from the trip and was waiting to review this resort....which is not better than any Dharamshala! I could not get data card network in the hotel premises in matheran, otherwise would have reviewed it from there itself.

I booked it through an online portal a few days in advance. Considering this to be a hill station, I booked a non AC room.

Rooms: We reached there in the eve. Asked the receptionist (Manoj) to show us good rooms. He sent one guy to show us rooms and we were shocked to see the inferior quality of the rooms. Broken furniture, blanket and sheets with holes, dirty pillows, shady bathrooms and extremely isolated locations of the rooms. We were convinced that since we have already paid them in advance, we were trapped. Went back to the receptionist to request for some better rooms. He rudely said 'yahi hai...aur kuch nahin hai'! As there was no other option we settled ourselves in those rooms.

Food: The most unhygienic food which you can expect from a 'Resort'. The only tasty item you can expect here is Dal and Chapati. Everything else was either stale or tasteless! The evening tea will be served in your room with tasteless cookies served uncovered carrying all the mosquitoes and other nature's gift which you can expect.

Dogs & Monkeys: You'll find them everywhere in the resort and there wont be any effort from the hotel staff to make you feel comfortable. Our plans for using the swimming pool were immediately dropped when we saw a group of monkeys drinking water and dogs playing inside it! Hotel staff had no concern to move them. We tried to spend time playing TT, but soon we were surrounded by monkeys and we had to get back to the room.

The Location of the resort is quite isolated. It was a fearful experience to reach the resort as early as 8 at night as the main entrance of the resort was guarded by some 10-15 street dogs.

Dance floor, movie theater, other activities etc etc whatever the resort mentions to allure you with, are either doesn't exist or not worth even visiting.

It was definitely the worst experience I have had with the kind of money I've spent for Brightland Resort. If you want to spoil your weekend, visit this place. Otherwise stay away from this place.

Note: This Brightland has no connection with the Brightland in Mahabaleshwar.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Anuragtheexplorer
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Hi every1..just back from my matheran Holidays..no need tell you people that me & our all family group was in brightlands Resorts Matheran..as usual good food ,good service ,good event etc.etc..we love this resort & friendly staff to take care of all our need..more than any thing we njoy thats thier evening event,camp fire night & jungle trek..again we are planning to go to brightlands during this summer time to have a fun as we are getting some friends overseas..

Room Tip: Rooms facing toward pool are good
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I am a well-traveled sort, and I am up for all sorts of adventure. But I must declare: this was absolutely, positively the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Let's forget the power outages and the low-quality buffet-style food. Let's forget the run-down rooms, unhappy horses, and unruly dogs. Let's forget the completely unresponsive staff who did little to ease the arrival of my elderly in-laws after they came up the mountain in the darkness. Maybe I could even forgive the horribly hard bed that gave my husband an aching back. These could all be completely forgivable, if everything else was great; it's part of the experience, you could say. But the monkeys? Come on, this is crazy. I was a biologist for years. I'm used to having animals around. But these aggressive monkeys were completely horrible! Jumped on our table during breakfast, slashed their claws at us while screaming at us, took our food and ran away? Yep. Pushed open our closed hotel room door (which was forever locked after that) and cornered me in our hotel room? Yep. Drinking from the swimming pool and going down the waterslide? Yep, really. The staff did nothing to control the monkeys, and they were so aggressive that I was completely on-edge and adrenaline-pumped for the entire "relaxing" weekend. We cut our trip short and headed back to Mumbai after a couple. days Probably my worst hotel experience ever. And for goodness sake, don't take children here.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Amy S
BrightlandsMatheran, Manager at Brightlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Matheran is an eco-friendly hill station and is mainly known for its scenic beauty and monkeys. To enhance the beauty and to continue the culture of the hill station, no vehicles are allowed. The hill station is governed by the forest department and hence it is the responsibility of the travellers together with the locals and the various businesses conducted to abide with these regulations. There are certain norms that need to be followed and there is very little that can be done in the case of Matheran hill station.
As far as the resort is concerned, as per the hotel standards we definately do strive to make every guest comfortable and that they may have a pleasant stay.
However the bad experience that the guests might have faced is deeply regretted, but it only goes to show that a little bit of information / research about the place of destination both on the part of the guests travelling as well as the tour operators should be imparted and well communicated in advance and that would go a long way to prepare the guests travelling to Matheran, about what can be expected.
Further we assure that Brightlands Resorts is one of the finest resorts in Matheran and is best known for its Cuisines, Services and Activities

Reviewed 14 January 2013

We went with group of 36 and food was nice. We enjoyed lots of with camp fire, disco theque and swimming pool. We liked the service and specially duplex rooms. Its is budget hotel for group..... Thanks to Brightland resort to make enjoyable and successful trip of matheran

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This place scores very high on service and the warmth exuded by the staff makes the place truly special. Mangesh is exceptional in his dealing and goes out of the way to make you comfortable. The food served at this place is excellent with good variety in the buffet.
The entertainment provided on 30th and 31st was very sincere.
The place could do with a bit of sprucing up to match the exceptional service provided by the staff.
Look forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple