“Very Good Stay - Equally good Staff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shillong
White Orchid Guesthouse.
Ranked #7 of 78 Shillong B&B and Inns
Bengaluru, India
“Very Good Stay - Equally good Staff”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The first thing you would notice about this place, it is spotlessly clean. Very well-maintained. Its a small property just off the Malki point which is very near to Police Bajar, the city center. A 2 min walk will take you to the Guesy House.

To reach Police Bazar (PB as the locals like to call it), you have 2 options:

1) A 5 min taxi ride costing Rs.10/person
2) A 15-20 mins walk down the short-cut

This place is owned by a Punjabi family and managed by very courteous staff.
They have only 2 Deluxe rooms and I opted for the one on the first floor after going through reviews on Trip Advisor.

One more good thing about this place is, yo get a pretty good view of Shillong from the terrace.

The only down-side with this place is, limited food options. Also, if you want to eat here, order in advance.

For dinner, they used to take the order by 5PM.

However, there is a descent restaurant, Kimfa very near to the GH which serves very good Thai & Chinese food.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hackernewbie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Guwahati
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We visited Shillong and cherrapunji in the month of august this year . We stayed at the White Orchid for two nights. The place is clean well maintained simple a & homely and good value for money.

Located in the heart of the city it provides an amazing view from the roof of the guesthouse of the city and the surrounding hills . An amazing sunset view which is different every evening . I would recommend this guesthouse to people who like to unwind and generally have a good time .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Sabyasachi D
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed here for a whole month and it was a very simple and lovely place. The location is beautiful.. set up on a hill out of the busy city center. Less than two Kilometers to Police Bazaar (center) or Laitumkhrah both of which are nice walks and if you don't want to walk there are buses and taxis. The room I had was great, very clean with a beautiful view. The staff are so professional and polite.... allowing us to order food late, letting us in after doors were closed, etc. and always with smiles on their faces. I know that my stay in Shillong would not have been as good if I were at any other hotel. Thanks to the staff for such a great stay :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank xscorcho
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Our stay at White Orchid Guest house was over all medium rated. This private property has fairly converted into a guest house which is not at all self sufficient because the room which was allotted to us (Double Bedded Deluxe - Room No. 103), was less specious and what is more disappointing that the single wooden Almira provided in that room was totally unusable.Staff were very good, polite and cooperative and I must appreciate for their prompt service all the time.It is mention-worthy that one day during my staying over there, I left a fair amount of cash on the bed inadvertently, after returned back I found it intact though the staff were doing the housekeeping.I must appraise them for honesty.

However, the location is very problematic because we used to journey to police bazar area or the central point of Shillong where market and everything is available, and for this disadvantage I would not like to recommend this Guest house. But who like to stay away form hustle n bustle of the city this house is ideal for them.

I would like to suggest the management that they should enhance their limited fooding facility to full fledged one else one need to travel minimum 4 km to have proper food and the price must be reasonable than present one.

At last I can say the we had a mixed lodging experience in Shillong.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sourav_25
Reviewed 4 July 2013

White Orchid Guest House is worth the money, Apt service.
Chetan was a great help throughout my stay at the guest house. He assigned comfortable rooms as per my request; Food, travel, miscellaneous was all taken care by him single handed. He also kept a constant check on my safety while I was travelling. Place is clean, tidy, spacious, good view, food is decent, hot water is available both at morning and night, closets are also available.
Toilets are clean. Taxi’s can be located easily and best of all a call can be made to Chetan and he'll arrange everything without any hassle. Chetan, thank you. I would not have had a pleasant and peaceful stay without your help.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Seema_Steffi
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stay at White Orchid was absolutely no nonsense and their tariff is totally justified..clean and spacious rooms,well maintained linen and bathrooms...any information or service you need,you get it in minutes.I cant say much about food that is available as we had linch and dinner at mi-casa and breakfast at madras cafe as we simply couldn't get enough of what they had to offer.

Mr.Chetan at White Orchid was very helpful and we owe him many many thanks for perfect arrangements right from the pick-up till dropping us back at Guwahati,everything was taken care of.Its far from the city madness which worked well for us.Would definitely recommend this guesthouse for people traveling with kids.

Room Tip: rooms in first floor where we stayed are very good.that only means I dont know how rooms in first fl...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nomad r
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Had gone to Shillong in the month of may with my wife for three days . A friend had recommended the guesthouse where he stays on a regular basis when in shillong . I found the place clean , the staff friendly and helpful . The toilets are very clean .

What was really special was the view of Shillong town from the rooftop . The sunset view from the roof was truly breathtaking , just wish i had a good camera with me .

I plan to return soon.

Room Tip: Book the first floor rooms as the view is v good from the floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business