I had been looking forward to stay in this place since long. Particularly because of the reviews I have seen here in TripAdvisor which I follow whenever I do travel.
The first impression as most others have mentioned here was not good for me. The cottage appeared too old. But when we stepped inside, I felt better. We occupied a room near the reception with a private sit-out. Its an old cottage maintained really well. Ms Rukma who takes care of the cottage was courteous and came to greet us. Apart from all what we loved about the cottage, there were a few things we did not like:
1. The first night sleep was not very comfortable. It might have been due to the rainy weather, but there were a large swarm of ants all over the floor and few even on the bed which made our night sleepless. The ants were however cleared in the morning by the staff and made sure they were away the next day and night.
2. This cottage is very very strictly Bed & Breakfast and they follow this rule strictly. I do travel a lot and have stayed in B&B accommodation earlier as well. My last stay prior to Aerodene was at Rhenock House, Gangtok. But none of these cottages/resorts in B&B category were so strict . We were denied even a cup of tea from the kitchen and said that the arrangements were there in every room and the guests are expected to make their own tea. Apart from the Breakfast and the dinner, they won't entertain any other request for even tea/coffee. If needed we were advised to have tea/snacks at another guesthouse cum restaurant - Eldorado which is nearby.
3. There is no menu to select food from. Menu is fixed by the cook and you cannot decide or change.
4. The staff in the cottage are inexperienced. Probably it was my fault that I expressed my displeasure the way dinner was served to the cook cum waiter, he without any hesitation said straight to my face that, "If you have any complain, tell it to in-charge, we cannot help you." I was surprised and taken aback. He could have atleast said that, "Sir, let me check what can be done.... " etc. But...
5. The tariff for this cottage is equal to most full-service hotel in Shillong. As such now I do not find any reason to avoid the hotels and stay at this place. Still, had the service been little considerate, a bit better I would have felt happier than I were.
Overall, apart from my outdoor visits, the stays in the hotel were not as expected. May be our expectations were much higher.
I request the management of Aerodene to take these feedback positively and look into some improvement. Time changes and rules has to be changed with time to stay in business. I have not seen any one apart from one giving a bad review of Aerodene, but there is always a first time. After all we look forward for hotels/cottages where we may stay and enjoy our holidays in a relaxed way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As tourism picks up in Meghalaya, there is a huge demand for homestays in heritage buildings like Aerodene Cottage. Built in 1950 in the Assam style of architecture prevalent during the British Raj, the structure was designed keeping in mind the high rainfall in the region and low winter temperatures. Despite the challenge in maintaining such a building, this boutique guest house provides all the comforts of home, combined with modern amenities and top service, giving guests a taste of the old English cottage. ... more less