“very good resort in the heart of puri”
Review of Mahodadhi Palace

Mahodadhi Palace
Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Puri
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“very good resort in the heart of puri”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

i recently came back from puri stayed in this heritage hotel for 3 nights from july26 to july 29....i find this property best and most spacious if one wish to stay in swargodar area of puri...room i stayed with my family was spacious with look of heritage property - a mixture of old days charm when one seats in the hotel lounge....swimming pool was well maintained - my kids had great time in the pool...front recepsion desk was v helpful regarding room service....

i believe improving certain aspects of the hotel can make this property from GOOD to EXCELLENT property ....

areas where improvements required are -

1. multicuisine restuarent GAA - need to convert it as full ac restuarant keeping heritage charm of the place with improvement of service - restuarant does not match with the quality of the hotel at present
2. there is lot of unused space in front of th hotel - convert it in well maintained lawn with activites for kids - it will make the hotel ideal for family holidayers
3. common balcony in front of the room needs urgent renovation and attention from the management

overall we enjoyed our holiday in fort mahodadhi v well ....wish to return to the place again to see that it has become an excellent property in future

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ghosh1001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here very recently in July 2014 with my family(PARENTS, WIFE & a kid of 4 yrs.) It was called a so called heritage property. But I was shocked at my first glance. Inspite of such a huge compound, it was grossly unkept & unmaintained. Heaps of trash lays here & there. The rooms are damp, & become dark even during the day time when it gets a little cloudy. The so called multi cuisine restaurant 'GA' is a santuary of flies, crows & street cats. On the very first instance, you will become so apathetic to the scene that you will loose your appetite. However you will have to come over here at least for the breakfast. They themselves are also aware of the situation . That is why they always insist on a room service for lunch or dinner even if you want to go to the restaurant. The doors are damp & covered with fungus.The window panes are broken & they have been replaced with cardboard boxes of cheap alcohol. The chairs in the verandah are covered with rusty sharp edges that you will be frightened not only to use them, but also to keep them within the range of your little ones, (my tip.... take a shot of tetanus toxoid vaccine before checking in here). Same is the situation of the bath tubs. They have multiple rust laden punctures, you will need a lot of courage to get soaked within it. The head end of the beds are so stained with hair oil, you will not feel very comfortable with your head anywhere near it. In a word, the standard is nowhere near even a decent Indian level, leave apart an international one.
Although I am writing these reviews about room nos. #103 & #104, I sincerely believe the state is the same in nearly the entire hotel.
I AM POSTING SEVERAL PICTURES WHICH BEARS TESTIMONY TO EACH AND EVERY POINT THAT I HAVE MENTIONED ABOVE.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Shantanu S

Travellers are raving about these Puri hotels

Kolkata
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have visited this place second time with family stayed for 4 nights and 5 days in this month June 2014. This is my second review about this hotel.

The hotel is a heritage building converted into a hotel, hence expects to see several old photographs and beautiful antique furniture. The rooms are clean and furnished with all modern facilities. The bathrooms are also clean with a good set of toiletries. Our little daughter likes the place for the hospitality and the specious rooms, with sprawling lawns and spacious surroundings, especially room no #102 and #109 is excellent for families traveling with kids. Even from most of the rooms you can have a clear view of the beach.

Very nice and well maintained swimming pool along with a place for gymnasium. Now the rooms are newly painted and more cleaned than our last visit. In fact they have painted the room no #109 just before I have visited.

Staffs are very friendly well behaved, reception and front desk is also very helpful and very friendly. They not only helped me to choose the correct room since I was traveling with my kids and also helped by extending my stay as my little daughter fallen sick suddenly, they helped me by informing about a doctor’s chamber with a good child specialist.

During my visit I have taken a glance at the newly build wooden cottages they looking at them I felt they are best suited for couples, 2-3 of them are specious but rest of them are okay for couples but not so specious. I would like to recommend families with kids should choose old building room to stay rather than wooden cottages.

This is an excellent property with great potential to be the best in Puri managed by very good and friendly hotel stuffs; however it requires a good amount of refurbishment on the following area.

Roof top restaurant:

Roof top restaurant really need improvement the same decoration that I have seen during my visit around year 2012. They really need refurbishment this time. The breakfast buffet area needs to cover by net so that birds do not make their way to the buffet table. And they have no treatment for fly management in restaurant which is basic food hygiene every restaurant should maintain.

Food quality and service time:

This time I have felt the food quality is not as good as it was during 2012, considering the prices they are charging for food there should not be any compromise on quality and quantity. Food service delayed around 1 hour for almost each time you order any food even order is given 3-4 hours in advance. The reason I have visited this place second time was food quality and room service both I have found in missing this time.

Less numbered stuff than required at least during the weekends:

During weekends when the hotel rooms are fully occupied less numbered stuffs are almost running to serve all the rooms during dinner and lunch time. The management should think of increasing the number of stuff to serve customers request without much delays.

Refurbishments of sofas and carpets:

The hotel team now can really look at replacing the sofa covers on the common area and carpets as now they are really looking old and become colorless or and spoiling the overall heritage theme.

Overall a very good highly recommended hotel property with great location advantages and helpful staffs. It has potential to be the best hotel in Puri if they focus on above improvements.

Room Tip: Best rooms are #102 and #109
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Real2dream2002
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Property was good and better than our expectation. We booked for a wooden cottage, but on check in, found it to be too small to accomodate a family. However, got an upgradation to a room (#108) which was spacious, at no extra cost. The attached balcony was huge, but in comparison, the toilet could have been a little bigger. Room service and overall behaviour of all the staff we came accross was pleasing and satisfactory. Swimming pool was small and cozy, but who cares for a swimming pool when sea was just a stone throw away. The reception also arranged for vehicle for our trip to Satpara (Chilika) which was comfortable for us. Complementary breakfast was elaborate but a bit monotonous. However, the only bitter taste it left was on the last night, when we got packed food from the adjacent restaurant ("Mostly Grilled"), in which the Chicken Malai Kabab, bought for my 11 year old son was found to be absolutely stale, which he did point out but only after gulping a large part of it, and since it was too late in the night, we did not go for reporting it. In fact after all the good experiences of our staying we did not expect that the restaurant could spoil the same in such a crude fashion.

Room Tip: Wooden cottages on the roof top are too small and somewhat lack in comfortable feeling.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank jaideepbarnali
Paradeep, India
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Me and my Family stayed for 2 nights and 3 days in this month 9th and 10th May 2014,
the hotel we book directly through highly recommend by my friends who had visited during Holi .
Well the Hotel Looks Like palace with old Heritage Building, But interior of the Hotel is just Superb, Nice well maintain Swimming pool , surprise to sea Hotel still have nice and beautiful antic Furniture's, Each and every staff of Mahodadhi are very nice humble and cooperative.
we find the Hotel is very quite and peace for Relaxing .

Hotel is just located on the beach , we had breakfast at Vithal kamat Restaurant , the captain recommended us to try their Vithal Vada and Rawa Dosa , we had first time had such different dosa in Puri.

We really enjoyed our Holiday because of Mahodadhi, Thanks to entire team.

Room Tip: Room no # 102
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank sanjay_1112014
Fort M, General Manager at Mahodadhi Palace, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We have always believed that travelling with a team or group is a stressful endeovour, and if we are able to provide customer service that would lessen some of that stress, then we are on the right track. all of our staff believe in providing that personalized service,
We look forward to another opportunity to host you at our property, and once again, thank you for your positive comments!

Warm Regards,

You can call me any point of time on my Number 91- 9090093455
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed here with my family for 2 nights in April and this is a heritage property. The rooms are quite spacious and the hotel is bang opposite Puri beach. In fact you can see a portion of the sea from a few rooms on the ground floor. The location of the hotel is perfect and that too right on the beach road. Beach is just 2 mins walking from the hotel. The tariff at the hotel is on the higher side and i wont comment if its just right or expensive. It depends upon what the individual can afford. The food at the rooftop restaurant is good and you can actually enjoy the sea and cool breeze from the restaurant. Pro's: Location and Food. Con's: Though the rooms are large and spacious its not well maintained. The bathroom was too small and not maintained. There's only a bathtub but no shower. There were no buckets in there and it would be little discomfort for anyone who's not used to bathtub. Unfortunately i didnt take any photos of the rooms that i could publish here. I was wrongly charged for bottled water and some snacks from the minibar which was not consumed. The hotel insisted that i should pay for it whereas i had'nt used them. I finally paid it as i was getting late for Bhubaneshwar. This was not expected from such a hotel who cannot keep a track of its own inventory.. I even mentioned the same in my feedback. The breakfast is tasty however the menu was same for almost 3 days. I dont know why the hotel kept the same menu everyday.
Overall an average stay. I would suggest you can look for other options in this tariff and only choose Fort Mahodadhi if you dont have a choice.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are partial sea facing.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sudesh S
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I will definitely look into these items that you have noted, and make the appropriate corrections.
We hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you, and we want you to know that we appreciate your Suggestion !

Warm Regards

You can call me any point of time on my Number 91- 9090093455
gm@fortmahodadhi.com
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed for a night at this wonderful heritage Victorian property. Perhaps one of the few remaining properties in a old Victorian building with huge gardens and lawns on the beach front and a perfect beach front location. The rooms were great, spacious, high ceilings, with a big verandah facing the sea. Bathrooms renovated, and decent size though quite tight I must say. A wonderful and well maintained pool at the back gardens. A roof top restaurant made in village ambience, overlooking the Bay of Bengal with cool breeze to keep you comfortable even in high summers. Reception was efficient, check in was quick, room service was kind of ok. But thats where it ends..........

Food was a big disappointment, without going into the details, the preparations leave short of expectations and does not cater to any traditional Oriya dishes which are so well known across the country. The hotel has undergone the first phase of renovation, however it is time to pump in some more.....the entire flooring of the hotels needs to be changed. They are old, cracked, dull and does not give a good look at all. The gardens are maintained, but more could be done, since there are huge lawns with shrubs and bushes left like the wild. The furniture in the rooms are bad and old, some of them need repairs and changes immediately. We asked for wifi password, and the reception said the GM has gone home, so nothing could be done now and the GM does not share the password with any one. When pressed further, reception said they will check and come back, which never happened. Bed & bath linens need complete change and replacement. A welcome step would be to provide rubber room slippers which can be used to walk to the beach.

In spite of all this, the place is wonderful and a lot more could be achieved with the management going a bit extra. The lady in the reception was wonderful and supportive at all times.

Room Tip: Any room would be fine since almost all of them face the sea, but look for 103.....
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SoumenChowdhury
Dear Guest,
We really appreciate that you took the time to write a review of our property. The staff have worked very hard to provide the level of service that is expected, and in most cases, go above and beyond.
I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests, but unfortunately, sometimes we do fail.
I will look into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel policies.
I would invite you to contact me personally at- 91-9090093455 (direct line), to discuss this with you further. (email is gm@fortmahodadhi.com)

Warm Regards,