Hotel Baboo Soorya
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Milestonnez(Kanchipuram)
US$43
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I had stayed at this hotel on 17/18 August 2012 along with my family. This is my second stay at this hotel, earlier I had stayed in March 2012. The rooms are spacious. Service is pretty ok. Ideally located being very close to the temple.

Room Tip: They supply hot water from solar heaters. So, be prepared to call reception in case hot water is not available especially early in the morning.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank cmaheshwar
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I stayed with my friends (25 of us) at this hotel on 6/2/2012.There were few defects (fan control knob missing,telephone for decorative purpose,lights were fused and bed sheets were dirty)I brought to the front desk at 5 p.m. 10 minutes after check in.My friends also complained about the condition of the rooms.The front desk girls called the manager and he said he will attend to it.I again reminded him to attend to the defects before leaving for kanchi temple.We were back about 8 p.m and asked the manager whether problems were settled.To our surprise this arrogant manager told us 'our electricians just went back home and why we didn't complain earlier'.This is not the only hotel in India that is screwd up almost all hotels.I am really shy to say that I am an Indian because this arrogant people are very good at giving excuses and never learn from others.I strongly suggest that the management visit hotels at other contries or sack the manager.These people are only interested in money.Every hotels we visit is almost the same.It seem like they never check the condition of the rooms periodically.God knows what the housekeeping is responsible of.

Room Tip: Make sure you check the room before payment.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank vtrajan
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel during an organized tour to Kanchipuram. The AC room was nice and quiet. The bed was confortable but not the huge and hard pillow. There were holes and stains on the bedsheets, but they seemed to have been washed. The towels were used and grey but clean. Bathroom was clean. We got toilet paper after requesting it. Overall, the room was nice. The reception lobby was quite impressive. As in many big Indian hotels, there are (too) many staff around. There is a staircase and a lift. I did not much interact with the staff, but they seemed ok... there was a funny guy dressed in a traditional suit that is supposed to open the door of the restaurant when you approach it. Quite a nice dress, turban and moustache (folkloric enough?).
Overall, it is well maintained. We much appreciated the food in the AC restaurant downstairs, but I'd recommend that you'd go out for a cheaper place for the breakfast.
The good thing I was surprised by was the quietness of the room (no noise from the street nor from inside the hotel). Nice place to sleep.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I went to this hotel following a recommendation from Frommers. It is very convenient to get to especially if you're coming off the bus (it's only three or four blocks away from the bus stand). The hotel is pretty nice with a large lobby (with English speaking staff), a restaurant and tasteful decorations. The rooms were quite large and the shower was spotless. The hotel is also conveniently located next to some temples (not really hard to do, though, given the size of Kanchipuram). The only drawback I would say is the price-the hotel is twice the price of other budget hotels. While there are definitely a few more amenities in this hotel than your typical budget hotel, the price is still relatively high by Indian standards. Still, if you're looking for a nice, clean place to unwind, this is one of the best options in Kanchipuram.

Room Tip: Get an AC room towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2011

This was a great base for our short stay in Kanchipuram. The town itself is busy and noisy, albeit fascinating, and Hotel Baboo Soorya was situated right in the middle of it, but down a quiet side-road. It meant you were within easy walking distance of the temples, bus stand etc. but could also escape the bustle within seconds of arriving at the hotel.

The reception staff spoke English and were courteous and helpful. The grand open foyer was immediately impressive and our standard air conditioned room was also pleasing. It was relatively simple, but comfortable and clean. As with most of the Tamil Nadu town hotels we stayed at, there was nowhere to sit out and our window just looked out on the walls of other buildings, but this seems to be the norm. You would not leave a window open around here anyway, as there were several monkeys always looking for a way in!

We booked and paid for the hotel through Octopus Travel/Trip Advisor using Pay-Pal which made it a very easy and safe way to arrange the booking from the UK, as opposed to several hotels which required bank account transfers for the deposit.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Kanchipuram for business or pleasure and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
3  Thank SusieStAustell