“Really Terrible”

Shelter Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Kanchipuram
Reviewed 1 March 2013

No maintenance and service. The breakfast menu was bread and jam and the service head confirmed that it is the regular breakfast of this resort. Staffs are not friendly. Dirty beach which is using the local people as their toilet.

Room Tip: Avoid this resort
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank PramodcsKerala

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We 15 persons both boys and girls have visited this resort for a get together for a day. Booked one hall, food was nice. The resort is well maintained. clean and tidy. They welcomed us with a drink, then lunch (common dining since the strength is less) both veg and non veg. Evening tea and snacks. Beach is also good. Overall the resort is fine. They charged 600 per head excluding tax which was a worthy one.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank rajthilak88
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We had a good team outing overall. The food was good and your Shelter beach resort premises was quite clean and well maintained. I would definitely recommend Shelter to my friends and colleagues when they ask me for a good beach resort

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank kaneesh
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I decided to take my wife and my 9 months old infant to Shelter beach resort (near Crocodile bank) for a night stay, just to check the facilties in that resort because I was one of the persons incharge to organise an One day picnic for my office. To give a quality picnic experience to my office staffs, I decided to pay on my own, and stay with my family at Shelters to check its facilities

We were offered a beach view cottage by Mr.Rajaraman - in charge for room booking. When I checked into my room around 4 pm, I felt it was okay for a night stay but when I checked the bathroom, I was dissapointed to find the flush tank did not function, bathroom was smelly, water was not coming in tap.

Later when I checked with Mr.Rajaraman, he informed us to contact room service. When I did so, each problems were attended 1 by 1 and it took almost 8 pm to set right all the problems. After the dinner when we decided to sleep, the air conditiner tripped off around 11 pm. When contacted room service, a person came and set the A/c. Again the A/c tripped off around 11.20 pm. Again I had to call the room service. This took place for 2 or 3 times and finally the room service person asked us to bear with us untill the morning without A/c, assuring us that a new A/C unit would be installed in our room early in the morning . Then since we didnt want to spoil our sleep, we accepted what the room service person told and slept of with mosquitoes accompaning us.

Later in the morning after our breakfast, 3 persons came with another A/C unit to fit in our room. But after 20 minutes of struggle they informed us that it was also not working and they would come with another A/c unit. Until that, we had to stay in our room for them to fit the machine and wait for them to come with another machine, without enjoying the beach, swimming pool and out door activities, as the management informed us that they are not responsible for lose or damage of any items of customers inside the room.
The same happaned 3 or 4 times but the A/C still did not work.

Finally after lunch, around 2 pm, the room service persons informed us that they shall arrange and alternate room with A/c. We were terribily annoyed by this proposal because we should be checking out of resort in another 2 hours. Therefore we called Mr.Rajaraman and explained him about our 1 day ordeal faced in the resort (i.e.) sleeping without A/c and with mosquitoes, spending the daytime without A/c, no privacy inside the room because 90% percent of the time there were room service persons inside our room, repairing the defects. We also told him that for this 1 day stay we did not have the experience of beach resort or a weekend and we felt as if we were supervising the repair works going on in the room. Therefore we asked for the LEAST - that is, to charge us tariff for a Non A/c room instead of an A/c room because 95% of the time A/c did not function in our room.

But we received a harsh response from Mr.Rajaraman, stating that we have to pay the tariff for A/c room only even when the A/c didnt function. When I explained to him that for the horrible experience faced during my 1 day stay, any resort would atleast do this simple thing of charging a non A/c tariff for staying without A/c, on their own without a customers requesting for this, he was even more harsh to me and told that I have to pay for A/c tariff only and harshly told me that the resort is not depending on customers like me, and that their are lots of other customers for them.

With that, I was forced to pay the tariff for A/c room (Eventhough we stayed without A/c in the room and without enjoying resort ambience) and checked out with bad memories from Sheltors resort.
Later when I informed my office collegues about the worst experience, and worst treatment of Mr.Rajaraman, my office get-together which was earlier planned to be held at Shelters in the month of December, was shifted from Shelters beach resort to Blue bay beach resort, which is very near to Shelters and comparitively we had very good experience at Blue bay resort.
My friends adviced me to inform about my ordeal at Shelters resort to the Managament office at Mylapore. But I was sure that I will not get any justice or management will not question its employee Mr.Rajaraman for his harsh treatment because Mr.Rajaraman himself told me that management has given him the full athourity to decide the tariff for its customers.
Therefore all I can do is that to avoid Shelters beach resort for all my family and office related functions and to advise my friends and relatives to look for a good resort were atleast humanity is given a concern

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
21  Thank Liesure_11
Reviewed 8 August 2011

The only Tip I can give is NEVER GO! You are better off camping in the 'open'.
I still cannot believe this place? They actually charge people for this?
You couldn't pay me to go there again!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank BusTraveler04
Reviewed 15 February 2011

I booked this hotel for our weeklong stay .
’It is the perceptive and friendly service that makes it worthwhile staying in this Resort. The Manager Mr. Bala ( Front Office Staff Ms. Laxmi) and F&B staffs are social at just the right level and they go to great length to make you feel at home.
The room we had was spacious and pretty, the breakfast is good and the distance to the beach is limited. The garden may be small, but it’s a relaxing and quiet place – one where you really don’t mind spending an afternoon or two with a good book.
Shelter Beach Resort is a place you would definitely come back to and recommend to your friends. Thank you very much for making our stay so pleasant!!! I m sure we will still fondly remember the vacation we had there.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 December 2010

i stayed there on 13th dec 2010 with my 2 collegues. i choosen that one because mgm and all others resorts were full. the rates are too high for rooms as well as cottage according to there quality. AC was there but power cut was very regular. the room service is average. the management is not co-operative as they didnot provide complimentary breakfast to our 3rd collegue althouh they charged 500 rs extra for his stay. food was expansive too. only best thing with hotel is the clean beach . but they closed at 10 pm this make us very angry as we stayed there for beach enjoy bUt they closed at 10 pm and saying that is is the managemant rule.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank UMESHNABHA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kanchipuram
Regency Kanchipuram by GRT Hotels
Joe Beach
Joe Beach
#23 of 28 in Mahabalipuram
Radisson BLU Resort Temple Bay Mamallapuram

Been to Shelter Beach Resort? Share your experiences!