Garden Reach Hotel
Windsongs(Kalimpong)
Yuru(Kalimpong)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrecommend this hotelmain marketfood qualitynice stayshort tripnice hotelthe hotel staffroom service isclean roomsvisit this placebangladeshfoods
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I really enjoyed staying at the Garden Reach hotel. It is just a little way outside of the main town, but easily walkable and out of the fray of noise and chaos. We had a great view of snow capped Kanchenjunga from the grounds and there is a well-tended garden for the use of guests. There is an attractive and spotlessly clean restaurant 2 floors below our room and a substantial and tasty breakfast was included in our room rate. We had room 314. Our room is huge. Its clean. The bed is comfortable. One wall is all windows and looks out to part of the garden and the valley beyond. We were given an extra warm and fuzzy blanket and extra pillows. There is a large closet. There is a sitting area with chairs and a table and another area with a desk. We have a kettle and cups and packets of instant coffee. The lights are bright enough to read by (a rarity in Asia and India). We have a TV with English channels. The staff is friendly and quick to respond to requests. We have a wonderful young man who is the room attendant and checks on us frequently. Just like uptown. Compared to the last hotel in Gangtok, the difference is night and day. Only two problems: the room has a strong odor of mothballs, which I hate, and there is no internet. But I can live with both of those. Especially since the other guests and the staff are so gracious to let me partake in the Diwali celebrations. Besides, I just took the mothballs out of the room. But its strange, though, this hotel has no heat. We are at a very high elevation and its November, so its cold in the evening and at night. While I am sitting at the desk typing this review, I have on silk long underwear, a complete set of clothing, my jacket and my husband’s warm jacket and socks and shoes. He is lying in bed under the blankets. One thinks twice about slipping out from under the blankets at night to go to the bathroom. I don’t know what the deal is in this part of the world. No heat? This is the second hotel we stayed at that has no heat. But, like I said, I love this hotel room and I love this spectacularly beautiful part of the world, so I will just bundle up and live like the locals.

Addendum: After staying here two nights, I finally read the sign on the back of the door in our room. It seems the hotel has space heaters that can be arranged at an additional cost. Its my own fault for not asking.

I gave this hotel a rating of excellent and I have posted photos.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MissKimBliss
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We stayed in this hotel during our trip in Jan, 2012 and found quite ok although it was damn cold and rooms were without proper heater. Rooms are absolutely cold, food served were not up to our satisfaction. Location wise very good considering the crowded no parking places of Kalimpong. The only thing we like was garden outside.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank HeavenlyBhutanTravel
GardenReachSales, Public Relations Manager at Garden Reach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Thanks for sparing time to submit your valuable views. Also would Like to Thanks you to focus on the areas Of Improvement. Although we Provide Heater In every Room during winters But I would recheck what went wrong On That Day if Datas are available. But still we would be Cautious This Does Not Happen again.
DN DUTTA

Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stayed here for 1 night & the service was very good. rooms are big in size.The food also really exceptional. A bit far away from the city but a calm place to stay. The ambiance of the restaurant was good & our group enjoyed food & stay here.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We found Garden Reach hotel an average hotel. After reading the reviews abt this hotel by others at tripadvisor, we wr quite apprehensive as we'd already made the bookings. But the room that we stayed in ws not as bad. Location wise it's away from the main bazaar area but conveyance is available readily. Food is below average...very wierd tasting paneer butter masala and bhindi masala were seved with very very oily daal...

Room Tip: We stayed in a room near the reception area on the ground floor...it was ok.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The position is ok, not very good , not bad, near college. rooms old type, moderately clean and maintained. toilets not upto standard. room and laundry oom service good. food not good enough. it is sort of ok type Budget option.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends