We have stayed here twice now, September 2011 and again in September 2013.
On each occasion we have been overjoyed by our stay there. Everything is immaculately clean and tidy. The staff are very helpful and polite.
There are two outdoor pools plus an additional one indoors in the spa/fitness centre. The outdoor pools are not heated but the weather is so hot you don't need anything but cooling down. They are not particular deep, only 1.5 metres so they are safe. There are shallow pools for children too but I would not really say that this is a place for children. Children are provided for but the place is at some remove from the local town and villages and is really intended as a place of calm and quiet.
Each of the pools has a bar and snack bar attached and the food there is of good quality and variety. Perhaps not enough fish or vegetarian options but this does seem a rather carnivorous island! My wife and I preferred the pool away from the main hotel core, beyond the tennis courts as it was the quiter of the two. Both pools are of a good size but the main pool near the reception and dining room has masses more space around it. Also although both pools have music coming from the snack bars it was significantly quieter at the second pool. In fact the only reason I gave this resort a 4 instead of a 5 rating is because of the noise level generated around that main pool. The music volume is increased as they have activities in and around the pool and personally I could well do without that. However plenty of people seem to like these events.
Actually I would give it 4.5 on that matter, only reducing to 4 because although you can connect to the internet it comes with a charge. I find that more and more these days that comes free in other parts of the world and would like to see that here too. Then again, I am on holiday and so did not miss the internet that much so maybe I am being churlish.
I cannot really review the food in the main restaurant as it is a buffet restaurant and personally I would only touch those as a last resort. Quite why anyone wants to have a themed international buffet each night is quite beyond me and why the hotel supplies them equally so. The Cretan and Greek cuisine in general is wonderful so if you don't want that then why not eat at home?
On the other hand the Elia Restaurant is absolutely superb. We ate there once on our previous stay and twice this time around and on each occasion the food was superb and I thought why would I need to leave here and eat elsewhere?
Well to be honest the restaurants in Ano Hersonissos (the local village) can be every bit as good with a wider variety of more traditional cuisine. There is a bit more excitement in eating out at these places, more refinement in the Elia Restaurant. Take your choice. If you do go to Ano Hersonissos then Monday night is the night. Be sure to pick a restaurant first and book it because they will be exceptionally busy as it is their traditional Cretan night. So after the meal you will be entertained by music and dancers for about 90 minutes. The same troupe come to the hotel on their Greek night but honestly the display in the village is better, they have more space in which to operate.
The bed in the apartment is far better than my own and the views over th terrace down the hill to the sea are wonderful to wake up to. The kitchen has what you need in the way of equipment to see you through what little you will need during your stay. Despite the complaint by one reviewer about the furniture I found that it was as comfortable as you need, the TV had
It would be hard to complain about the place for most people, my two points are so minor and they will not stop me coming back again and nor would it stop me from recommending the place to friends and family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the north coastline of Crete, Village Heights Golf Resort is nestled amongst lush landscaped gardens and offers breathtaking views of Hersonissos. In true traditional Cretan Village style studios, apartments and villas are beautifully designed to suit every taste. Village Heights Golf Resort offers a full host of amenities and features to ensure a restful stay.Guests can enjoy a wide range of leisure facilities within the Resort including three pools (one indoor), a wellness centre, kids club as well as numerous dining and entertainment venues. In addition, the Crete Golf Club is just 2km away, with incomparable views and special rates on greens fees. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Village Heights Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Village Heights Golf Hotel Chersonisos
- Village Heights Hotel
- Village Heights Golf Resort Crete, Greece