“5* Staff, amazing 10 night stay!!!!”

Creta Maris Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 172 Hotels in Hersonissos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Recently returned to the UK after a 10 night stay at this beautiful resort. Myself and my two sons (9 and 6) travelled here from Birmingham airport on 13th August 2013. This is a MUST GO resort, I would definenlty recommend and even return.

HOTEL: This is a magnificent hotel, very grand... the pictures on the Creta Maris website does not give it justice. VERY VERY BIG. Hotel is split into three areas all adjacent to each other. The main building, Bungalows and the Terra building across the bridge. All are imactuently kept. We stayed in the main building where you are welcomed by a very grand but traditional reception area. The bungalow area which you walk though to get to the Terra building is very picturess with all its flowers and stone pavements- Beautiful. Across the bridge is the Terra building which is mainly occupied by Italians but you are also welcome to go over and eat in the restaurants and use the pools. I often went over this way as it was much quieter.

Room:I stayed in room 250 in the main building, this room overlooks the Spira pool, beach and the sea, however your view of the sea is slightly blocked due to the roof top of the Cosmos Restaurant. It was not a 5* room, it was 3* with a 4* bathroom, it was obvious the bathroom had been renovated within the last year or two. However the room was pleasant enough, TV with only the news channel in English, plenty of plug sockets, spacious wardrobe, dressing table and Chester drawers. The bathroom had a shower over the bath, drying line over the bath, hairdryer, massive mirror over the sink plus a makeup mirror for the ladies. Room was cleaned daily, fresh white towels were provided in the room and three blue towels for the beach which could be changed at the main building between 16:00-18:00hrs if necessary. This room also comes with a balcony which leads onto a communal balcony area, I loved this...cushions were also provided so you could sit out here. There was no iron, but you can request this at no extra charge.

Staff: I cannot praise the staff at this resort enough. They were all amazing, couldn't do enough to help. I was greeted on my first night by Vasilis, he was lovely and put a stamp on the rest of my holiday. Eleni and Katerina in the Cosmo restaurant always came over to say good morning, and speak to the boys they were vey attentive. George in the Alamyra restaurant was the same. The staff really do make this hotel what it is, day two I had a courtesy phone call to make sure I had settled in and I was happy with the service.

Grounds: The grounds are well kempt, it is an all green hotel so you will see patches with herbs, cats roaming the grounds. Beautiful flowers towards the bungalows and gardens over the main building. Never a complaint, never any litter or over flowing bins even the beach was kept clean

Pools, Beach and Coral: This hotel boasts that it has seven pools, I really liked this as after a few days you start to find your bearings and know which areas you feel more settled in. The main pool is noisy and very busy, they often have water games over here. I avoided this pool where possible. We spent a lot of time at the Spira pool and the mini waterland pool over at the Terra building. The mini waterland pool has two slides, be careful with your kids on these as there isn't a steady flow of water down the yellow one and my son got a nasty friction burn. All the pools are clean and located either next to a bar or within walking distance.
The beach is a private beach, again the pictures on the website don't give it justice it is a lot bigger than it looks, the water was lovely and clean, plenty of loungers. The coral area is over by the bungalows, go down here for some quite time and beautiful blue, clear waters. Its very rocky so be careful, Ive been told you can see plenty fish here if you snorkel.
The loungers are reserved first thing in the morning by the majority which is a pain however I never had trouble finding a lounger, if you go over to the Terra pools its usually empty anyway.

Food and Bars: We ate mainly in the Cosmos restaurant located in the main building, always plenty of tables even at peak times, allocated waitress would help you find a table if you had any difficulty. The food was well cooked but the meats in particular the chicken and pork often lacked seasoning and was dry. I wasn't thrilled with the breakfast it was the same every morning and I ended up buying the boys Kellogg's cereal from the local Spar. Nethertheless there was always fresh fruit- kiwis, peach, apples, grapes, melons.. so I never went hungry. It is a self serve buffet, but the food was always at the correct temperature, constantly replenished, salad galore, plenty of self serve juices and wines from the pump. Soup and freshly baked bread was also on offer every evening for those with a delicate taste- overall something for everyone. Staff were allocated to areas within the restaurant and always on hand to help. Almyra restaurant by the main pool was good for lunch and a late breakfast, they also served ice-cream from 1600hrs.
There were bars located by every pool, there was plenty of alcohol and slushies' to go around. these bars also served cake, pizza's and pastries

Ala carte restaurants: I managed to book Pithos and Limoncello restaurants both over at the Terra building. I preferred the food and service at Pithos. I left full to the brim, the waiters were very attentive and we were served from our tables. Drinks including alcohol was a constant flow, the food was beautiful and there was lots of it, was made to feel very welcome. I didn't get the same experience at Limoncello on the other hand, the food was average and the service was very poor.
You do have to get up at the crack of dawn to book these restaurants, a day in advance. if your not up by 0700hrs I wouldn't bother going down to reception. I was unable to book into Cochlias restaurant which was disappointing. Try and visit all three if you can.

Location: The hotel is located perfectly it looks as though you are isolated but you are not. If you take a left out of the main reception and keep walking you will come across plenty shops, at the cross roads its a left for the harbour (inc nightlife) and more shops. Carry straight on for Subway (sandwiches) Spar supermarket + Cashpoint and more shops. The Harbour is beautiful, stunning views and plenty of restaurants. There is also a McDonalds down here. We stopped off at the Chill Box, which is a self serve for frozen yogurt and ice-cream-definite must go. There is also an aquarium within walking distance www.aquaworld-crete.com cheap and very educating.
The hotel also has a small farm across the road, rearing hens, rabbits, donkeys and goats.

Kids club: The kids club is great, very modern, air conditioning is perfect. My boys loved it here. It is open from 1000-13:30 14:30-18:30 (I think). Equipped with computers, plenty of outdoor apparatus and lovely staff. Aggeliki is based here, she is very welcoming, speaks perfect English and has a way with the children. I was more than happy to leave my boys in her care.

Entertainment: I was disappointed with the entertainment this hotel offered particularly as it boasts as a 5* resort. The lack of entertainment is my reasoning for rating this hotel on Trip Advisor as 4star. There was a kids disco at the main building every night from 2100hrs, some nights included special acts. But nothing for the adults which was a shame, because after you had eaten dinner at 1900hsr there wasn't much going on. The hotel did have a cocktail party and a Greek show in the open air theatre whilst I was there but for a 10 night stay, that is very poor.

Wifi and Internet: There is FREE wifi throughout the resort although the connection is better in some areas than others. There was also four computers with internet access in the main building which you could use free of charge.

The hotel also has a mini shop, a jewellery boutique, games room and a spa. Overall I had an amazing holiday, I was well looked after felt completely safe (as a lone adult) my boys loved it and haven't stopped talking about it since our return. The resort is beautiful , the staff are amazing and I would 100% come back here!!!

2  Thank CherylE186402
Creta_Maris, Marketing & PR Manager at Creta Maris Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay at Creta Maris and really hope to accommodate you again very soon in the future!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We came back to Creta Maris after 4 years, loved the place then, love it also now. Hotel is on the beach, no cars crossing the way, clean, comfortable, didn't seem to be crowded even when they told us it was fully booked. Very good food, drinks not so good, staff very polite and helpful. We payed for a sea-view room in the main building and it was a good choice as we were actually hearing waves and smell the good, fresh air. As we went on a tour nearby we have not found a better hotel or at least similar.

Room Tip: main building sea wiew rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Creta_Maris, Marketing & PR Manager at Creta Maris Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the positive feedback. We are very happy you returned to Creta Maris after 4 years and anjoyed your stay! We rrally hope to accommodate you very soon again.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I recently went to the Creta Maris for 2 weeks for the wedding of my daughters friend. We upgraded from the hotel to a bungalow. What a lovely setting this hotel is in with its white washed buildings. Although the bungalow was adequate It was rather dated and the cleaning left a lot to be desired! In the 2 weeks she did not mop the bathroom floor or clean the mirror. I thought the idea of providing beach towels was great saves you taking up valuable luggage space. There was shampoo, soap,etc provided also and the maid left more if you ran out. The food was good and there was a variety, the cakes are to die for. We were told that the men had to wear long pants at the evening meal but people just came down in what ever, that spoils the atmosphere it a bit. The main pool is near the lovely beach with comfortable lounges. the only problem is if you want one you need to be down there at 7 30am as the stampede starts then. The entertainment is a main concern...well none existent for the adults....nothing at all. There was nothing for the children the 1st week either as the team of entertainers had been sent home!!! It was hard work for my daughter and the other parents with the children especially at night time! The shop is mega expensive too so make sure you have enough supplies before you go. The SPA/HAIR SALON is a joke they wanted 200 euros to pin up the brides hair on her wedding day( shoulder length) . I thought that was terrible.
The resort is a huge place and although we tried to book the other restaurants for a change it was a nightmare. We went down one morning to book at 7am and all the places were taken, I don't know what time you are meant to go down to book as we tried 6.30am one morning but same again nothing. You should not have to get up at that time on your holiday. The staff and the chefs in the main building were excellent and like I said the food was lovely. These few things do need improving though to bring it up to scratch.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your stay at Creta Maris Beach Resort. We will read your comments and do our best in order to ameliorate our services.
Please let me inform you that housekeepers are cleaning the room on a daily basis. In case a guest feels not satisfied with the cleaning he needs to inform the front office in order to act accordingly.
Moreover, as it was explained to your party, there was a problem with the animation company collaborating (not in relation to the resort but internal issues) and that was the reason the resort amended the animation program. Nevertheless, the resort immediately offered many sport activities and within the weekend the program was scheduled for the children as well (mini disco, special children show, magician show, etc).
I would also like to explain that the reason the bride’s hairdo costs 200 euros (a fix rate for any hair length) is because it includes many services (one rehearsal hairstyling which usually lasts 3 to 4 hours, a hair mask & treatment, and the hairstyling at the wedding day).
Lastly, please let me clarify, that since you were a party of twenty people it was very difficult to find availability for the whole party in one a la carte restaurant. Nevertheless, we assisted you from the first day and organized all reservations preferred for your party.
We hope to accommodate you again at Creta Maris Beach Resort very soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Comfortable and clean rooms, flawless service (they provided with us even the beach towels!). The building is elegant and well positioned for reaching the sea. The swimming pools are a bit small but there is a wide and beautiful beach with sunbeds and beach umbrellas. The food is very good and there's a great variety of choice of restaurants and inside them. The resort's staff is very kind and smiling. The only motivation for which the overall opinion is not "Excellent" is because the double bed had distinct sheets for each side, but I think it is just a very very small detail.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Creta_Maris, Marketing & PR Manager at Creta Maris Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are very happy you had a wonderful time during your stay at Creta Maris and enjoyed all the facilities and services. We hope to accommodate you again very soon in the future!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

2 weeks in August, family of 5. Stayed in bungalows which were nice but not comfortable with 3 kids being on own so did mean husband and I had to split up and stay in separate bungalow each.

Hotel is big, no getting away from that and main restaurant can feel impersonal however food is very good and a few of waiting staff do try to say hello to you as they rush to set and clear tables. managed to book Pithos, Limoncello and Cochlias restaurants all very good. Booking system is a pain having to try from 7am day before you want to go, if you go later they are already fully booked.

Used bungalows pool which was nice, fairly quiet and has the wonderful Popi running bar, she is friendly, remembers how you want your drinks and a credit to the hotel. Main pool nice but very busy and noisy.

Hersonnisous is close but not somewhere I would choose to go, full of mid 20 holidaymakers, bars and clubs.

Didn't bother with tour operator trips. Went on fabulous sailing trip that hotel organised. Just 7 of us plus crew on a yacht for day and also used local buses to get to Heraklion and to Knossos
Couldn't be simpler to do and at a fraction of tour operator prices.

In summary, hotel is lovely, Crete great, but if you want exclusive or intimate holiday then pick somewhere smaller.

Dear Fisher Family,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay at Creta Maris and the sailing trip at Dia! Concerning the room there is always an option of connecting rooms or a suite if you prefer to have the whole family in the same room. We hope to accommodate you again in the future at Creta Maris.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

overall i couldnt really find much to fault at this hotel, and lot sof very good things. i'll try not to repeat what other reviews have said but its hard not to sometimes!

i'll get any negatives out the way first as there arent many. i felt the attention to detail of the cleaning could have been better in the rooms, although this is being picky! also our double bed was 2 singles pushed together which is something i realy dont like but i guess thats a matter of luck depending which room you are in.

the biggest concern/criticism we had was the hotel doctor. i actually think thomas cook as the tour operator shuold have informed us of this rather than the hotel itself, but the hotel doctor will not see children. seems pretty bizarre for a family hotel. we took our 20 month old son to see her (we were 99% sure he had an ear infection, which a trip to the hosptial confirmed and he was fine within 24 hours of antibiotics). the doctor wouldnt even look at him to give a quick opinion, this is a major issue and one that i think should be highlighted better by the tour operator. the thomas cook rep seemed surprised by this, but she obviously has a short memory as 5 mins earlier she had discussed it with my father in law who was also travelling with us.

one thing that for me wasnt a negative, infact for my 20 month old son it was sheer delight, and hasnt been mentioned before, is the flight path to heraklion goes straight over the hotel. i am really surprised nobody has mentioned this before considering how much some people like to moan about these things! aircraft landing were audible and visible through the day, not too intrusive but defintiley noticable, couldnt be heard from the rooms in fairness but from outside you could see or hear planes regularly.

we booked this hoiday over a year before we left and asked for 2 rooms side by side (2 couples 1 with a baby), so thought that with this much notice it could have been done, but we were 2 floors apart. would have been nice if they could have done this for us especially given the sheer amount of time they had but overall not a big issue.

i think thats pretty much it for negatives from our point of view, nothing major but getting them out the way so i can focus on the best bits.

our room was in the maris building on the ground floor. a but rustic rather than dated, but clean enough and the bathroom was excellent very clearly newly done. the garden outside the room was very nice and well kept, and the air con etc all worked perfectly. the fridge was a bit old looking but worked fine.
the staff were i would say without excpetion superb. very friendly, approachable, helpful and polite etc. the hotel management were all regulalry seen around the hotel and were very happy to talk to guests, they seemed genuinely interested in peoples comments and suggestions and were very unobtrusive. we ate in the maris building restaurant most of the time where the chefs were constantly changing the food over and the waiting staff were extremely fast and efficient. every single one of them took the time to pay attention to our 20 month old which he greatly appreciated. he is very shy but within a few days was giving them all high fives when they walked past etc and they all spoke to him to say hello and goodbye etc every mealtime. we used the smaller restaurant for a couple of lunches by the pool aswell which was a bit more limited but still good quality. the limoncello restaurant was good, not amazing but perfectly edible and made a nice change from the buffet.

the buffet food, for the size/price of the hotel i thought was excellent. the breakfasts were good, lots of choice, and the lunches/evening meals were very varied and very good quality. lots of seafood, and the kebabs/burgers they made were exceptional quality, very meaty not filled with rubbish and very well spiced/flavoured etc. the pasta dishes were excellent lots of nice sauces to try with them.

the pools were excellent. we saw staff testing the water quality regularly and never had any concerns about the pools or pool area. the main pool is 2 metres deep for 90% of it so not one for unconfident swimmers, and took a while to warm up but this is probably due to the depth. the other pools were shallower and our son loved the kids pool which was mostly very warm. the sea was very warm aswell and crystal clear, yes there were some rocks but not anything that is dangerous and can easily be avoided. at all times we saw free sunbeds by the pool and on the beach, which in mid august was unexpected but was very good to see, no silly early morning sunbed battles. the entertainment, or animation team, were geared towards the italian market but this didnt bother us. the music by the main pool was a bit loud at times, but not too bad. there was a family who made a big complaint about there being no entertainment team for the first few days (problem with staff etc), but when i was talking to one of them he told me exactly where he wanted to stick the speaker they were using, just shows you cant please some people! his main complaint was the volume. he chose his own sunbed, which was 10 feet from the speaker, so i am unsure what he was expecting to be honest! if you got a bed at the other end of the pool you could barely hear the speaker at all.

the layout of the hotel is excellent, really does have a village feel to it. its very large, with lots of steps (although i would say half the steps have a ramp next to or very close to them). it probably had as many rooms as some of the high rise hotels you see in some places, but due to the layout of it it felt like a small hotel in many ways, not overcrowded by any means and we were there in august. the gardens are all well kept, the communal areas very nicely decorated etc, and all nice and clean. we spent most evenings in the romatic bar and got a table every time we tried without any difficulty, very nice quiet bar with nice views.

overall i would definitely reccommend the hotel, very good food, very nice people and a really nice building/gardens etc, great pools and beach and only a 4 hour flight from the uk. genuinely cant praise the staff enough, the waiters, the reception staff and chefs etc all excellent

1  Thank mikeandrach

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are very happy you had a wonderful time at Creta Maris and enjoyed the facilities and services provided. We will read your comments and do our best to ameliorate our services. Nevertheless, please let me inform you that the doctor cooperating with the resort is not a children physician, this is the reason he prefers a children physician from the medical center locates 500m from the resort to prescribe the medication on a child. Moreover, concerning the airplanes route please let me inform you that the airport is 24km from the resort and the airplanes are still flying high even if they are visible. Furthermore, please let me inform you that as stated in every reservation, we accept special wishes and we do our best to realize them but always upon availability. In case there are no available room types requested next to each other, we offer the nearest possible ones. We hope to accommodate you again very soon at Creta Maris Beach Resort!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We've just got back from a lovely 2 weeks at the Creta Maris Beach Resort. The rooms are great and we were lucky enough to be on the ground floor right outside the Spira Pool area and the beach however it's such a big hotel you are never that far away from a pool area.The staff at the pool bars are very good and get you everything you want. The main buffet restaurant is excellent and you will always find something you like. There are 3 gourmet restaurants which you need to book up but we only managed to get into 1 once as the booking was a bit of a nightmare (you had to get to the reception to book at about 7am to get in), but that wasn't a problem as the main buffet selection was perfect. The town around the resort has lots of shops and tavernas but as we were all inclusive we generally ate at the hotel as things are not that cheap anymore abroad (12 Euros for 2 pints of Magners). In the evenings we spent most of our time in the games room (a quick 10 mins with the kids) and then the romantic bar. If you like evening entertainment then you won't find it here as it was non existent but that didn't bother us but might bother some who like to have something to occupy the kids (there is a disco). There was some kind of entertainment on the beach during the day but it wasn't aimed at the Brits.

Overall we felt we were spoilt for 2 weeks and had a very enjoyable holiday.

On the return flight we bought a VIP pass from the rep which was €37 per person which I would definately recommend. It basically gets you fast tracked through the queues at the tinty airport and you get put into a nice air conditioned room with leather seats, drinks & food ( all inclusive) and games for the kids. It was a bit dodgy aty first as no one seemed to know what they were doing but once the right person sorted us out it was worth every penny.

1  Thank Chris W
Creta_Maris, Marketing & PR Manager at Creta Maris Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are very happy you had a wonderful time during your holidays at Creta Maris and really hope to accommodate you again in the future!

Faye Papaioannou

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
Aldemar Knossos Royal
Pilot's Villas Luxury Suites
#1 of 13 in Koutouloufari
Mitsis Laguna Resort & Spa
St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas

Been to Creta Maris Beach Resort? Share your experiences!