“First trip to Crete”

Creta Maris Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 173 Hotels in Hersonissos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Having spent ages looking at various websites for a package holiday we finally settled on this one through lastminute.com. Despite getting off to a bad start as lastminute failed to pass on the baggage booking with Aegean (we paid £38 for two bags and then had to pay another £80 for the same bags at the airport) we arrived in at Heraklion airpoirt. Lovely taxi driver drove us to the Creta Maris for 30 euros (although 40 is apparently the going rate) who told us we would be staying at the best hotel in Hersonissos. We didn't go into the town as we had everything we needed at the hotel and the rest of Hersonissos looked pretty unappealing.

Our welcome was fantastic; all the staff were friendly and helpful. We shared a lovely twin bedroom, with equally lovely bathroom. We were so impressed with the food too. It was our first time at an all inclusive and I was a bit sad not to have gone an experienced food at local tavernas but having paid for food and drinks already it seemed silly. However, we weren't too bothered as the selection and quality of food at the hotel was remarkable, and the service was also great. The service at the bars was also great.

The private beach is beautiful and the pools were all lovely. April was a bit early to visit Crete though. We expected the sea to be cold but the pools were also freezing and I'm not normally a woss. When the sun was shining it was pretty hot but as soon as the sun went behind a cloud everyone wrapped up in towels and put their coats on.

As we are two young women perhaps we should have gone out somewhere for entertainment; I'm told the beach bar called New York in Hersonissos is good. We tried the entertainment at the hotel but perhaps as it was the beginning of the tourist season they didn't appear to have much prepared - we turned up for a 'Lord of the Dance' evening and spent a large amount of it watching the staff and children do Zumba.... Lots of families were enjoying themselves though.

Thoroughly recommend this hotel. I'd definitely go back. Will hope for a full evening of Ben as Michael Flatley next time though and I'll take a swimming hat for pool warmth.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank LikeNunnOther

Reviewed 5 May 2014

this nice hotel as location to close to the main touristique and nighlie; staff are somthing very polite & helpful ; the private beache & swimming pool very clean nice service there too.
the rooms are nice but not luxury (as the staff saied - we keep the tradetionality of crete)
the bathroom is totaly renew.
there are 4 a la carte restaurant (should invite places in advance) & 2 more restaurants ; the main big one & the pool restaurant (that we like more).
only one think made us sad that the spa team tried to got more money in unpolite way ; so in the spa be sure how what to book of treatments.the spa is very ecxellent as decoration ; one of the best in my life.

Room Tip: sea view rooms in upper floor close to the main building
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank maher629
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We booked this hotel for our honeymoon and were not disappointed. We had a garden view room which does have a slight sea view which was lovely. The rooms are spacious and the beds were much more comfortable than many hotels. The rooms have air con/heating which worked well. There’s tea / coffee facilities in the rooms, however we did keep running out of coffee as this wasn’t always replaced each day! There’s a fridge in the room too, however ours definitely needed replacing as it was dripping water (seal clearly gone) and the shelving inside had broken!

There’s WiFi in the hotel – the codes are available at main reception. The only problem was that it didn’t work in Cosmos restaurant and was hit and miss in the hotel room! Only worked if sat on the end of the bed and that was pushing it on keeping a signal – it was the same problem with 3 different devices!

We booked one night at the A La Carte Restaurant “””” which was fabulous (this is done online via the hotel link)! All I’d say is starve beforehand! You only chose your main meal, the starters come in little dishes like Tapas. All were delicious. By the time desserts arrived we were full and didn’t do very well!

As we were staying during the Easter break, we went to the church service at the 4th century church near the Gym on the complex. We’d discovered the church earlier when exploring the resort and it was a lovely surprise to find. The service was very different to anything we’ve been to and various staff, locals and guests joined in the service.

The food in the Cosmos restaurant was delicious – plenty of choice from local Cretan food and a daily Mediterranean cuisine. Our only gripe was the children being left to run around the restaurant while parents did nothing. There were a couple of near misses of children being badly burned and tripped over as they were chasing each other around while guests were carrying hot plates of food! Thankfully this was only during the start of our holiday. The staff in the restaurants were fantastic – they were friendly and worked hard. The live “Creta Maris band” was fantastic, the restaurant stayed packed until they finished their set at 9.30 and even hotel management, staff and guests were dancing. Pity this was the only night there was something like this on during our stay.

The entertainment team nightly shows were very amateurish and poor! We went to watch their Greece show and to say it was terrible! The dancing was lame, it wasn’t choreographed and the changes didn’t link smoothly and left people sat there wondering what was happening next and even the miming to a song was completely out of sync! The DJ couldn’t balance the music – ie it was so loud it was distorted – I’ve worked in live theatre and he broke every rule! Certainly needed lowering if not only to work out what words were but to preserve hearing without damage – especially that of the children in there!! We didn’t risk the Michael Jackson night after the first experience! It would have been nicer to have local dancers in showing Greek / Cretan dancing and more local bands with traditional entertainment. There’s a games room with about 6 pool tables in, it’s expensive to play at 2 euros a time! Would be nice if that was 1 euro or less! Children were running riot in the games room at one stage however the hotel staffed the room and it was much better.

The indoor pool at the gym was open and for a hotel it’s OK! It does need modernising and certainly there should be a lifeguard actually in that area especially considering the number of children using the pool! The reception desk is blind to the pool area and when the instructor wasn’t there he was in either of the gym rooms so wouldn’t be aware of any problems. My only grip here was that of a family with babies in the pool, where the child had soiled its nappy and the father simply removed the nappy in the pool while he was still standing in the pool and threw and left it at the side on the floor!! Thankfully I was out of the pool by then and was drying off at the side! If a lifeguard had been in the room this wouldn’t have happened!

There are pleasant walks around the area - down to the harbour and along through the town. In April it was very quiet, some places had opened while others were getting ready. I can imagine how busy and loud it is in the main season. We also walked up to the old town on the mountain and along the coast the opposite way – the coastline is stunning!

There’s plenty of car hire options in the area, Budget operate during limited hours in the hotel reception, and we booked through them as the prices were pretty much the same. The only problem if going out for a day is the hotel doesn’t to packed lunches which most all inclusive hotels do – we did ask at reception and the restaurant – which is a shame especially as if you’re all inclusive you’ve paid for the meal!

The hotel has a late departure lounge which is one of the best I’ve used in Greece! The shower room is spotless, plenty of clean towels to use, toilets, shower and changing room cubicles, hairdryers and lockers – however you do need to have a padlock – I think you can get them from the main reception but handy if you have one to hand yourself.

The hotel management also were there nearly all the time and came and chatted to guests, which was lovely. I’d recommend this hotel and would definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank cazz-1416
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Thank to my job, I visited a lot of 5* hotels around the World and I should say that for those who realizes that Greece is not France (even not Turkey) this hotel is very good value for money!!! We stayed last year in the beginning of May - it was wonderful! Not perfect, but absolutely fine for the hotel for 2400 Eur all inclusive for 10 nights! The food was enough and good, the wine ane beer was nice, all the facilities were absolutely as good as we expected (because we had already visited Greece and had no misleading expectations). The children's club was nice - our son did enjoy it! There was no specific food for the babies but it bought it in the supermarket in the town. In a word, it was nice time for us and our son!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building but the area with bungalows was also very nice (further from beach bu...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank lilly s s
Creta_Maris, Marketing & PR Manager at Creta Maris Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are very happy to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Creta Maris snd really hope to accommodate you again very soon in the near future.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The garden bungalow was updated, nice and very quiet. Though the beds were a bit firm for my liking. I was given a new bottle of water every day. There are also water coolers available and if you want additional bottled water it was less than 2 euro for a liter. Where we were staying there was no wifi connection in the room, though I guess if your room is closer to the reception or other public area (though "public area" is never specified via signage and I didn't ask as sitting in the reception area occasionally was fine). Also the only English language TV channels is news (though I don't go on vacation to watch TV, it would be nice to have something other than news on in the morning for background noise).

The water in the sea and pool was cold (but I realize it was late April), but it made me wish the indoor pool was open as I imagine it is heated (though I didn't ask once I learned it was closed). We also never made it over to the other side of the resort where the water slides are supposed to be located, but based on the occupancy and seeing most of the guests including teens often I imagine it might have been closed as the main season had not yet started. The chairs at the beach had plenty of umbrellas and the sun loungers around the main pool were high quality (and also had umbrellas).

The staff (restaurants, bars, kid's club and animations team) were very friendly and the resort is definitely kid friendly. The shows the animations team put on after the mini disco were excellent. I was there for 7 nights, I missed the first night's show but otherwise we went to Michael Jackson and Grease inspired shows, as well as a Miss Creta Maris contest (where the guests participated) and a Karaoke night. Though the Disco is a bit small and could do with updating--limited numbers of guests could fit in the Disco and the man at the bar was nice but it would have been reasonable to have another bar staff member there. I didn't leave the resort except one night on a mission to get cash to pay for some professional photos taken on site (they didn't take credit cards and I was leaving the next morning...the first cash machine was locked up, the second was out of order, so I walked a bit to find another), so I can't really speak about nightlife off property or local attractions.

The Spa was excellent in terms of quality of service, however as soon as you finish one service they try to push products and additional services on you. For me it was okay as I was looking for another massage and had forgotten my moisturizer at home ;). My daughter loved getting her nails painted and had a chocolate massage. I was not brave enough to try the FishSpa (fish cleaning your feet/lower legs) as I'm super ticklish, but the pricing on the brochure appeared reasonable.

I also enjoyed Zumba and Salsa lessons run by the animation staff. I was traveling alone with my 6 yo daughter and managed to get several hours each day of alone time to read by the sea and go to the Spa :). Also one time my daughter (a perfectionist) accidentally dropped a plate of pasta when leaving the buffet and was in tears, I tried to calm her but the staff coming cover to see why she was so upset and telling her it was not a big problem with a genuine smile helped. The food in the main buffet restaurant provided lots of choice, the local soft drinks were different, but there is water, tea, coffee, hot chocolate as well as wine and beer on tap. You could also purchase fresh squeezed orange juice for about 2 euros (I didn't buy any but a family we met there did it often and enjoyed it). It is all inclusive but unless you really prefer mixed drinks for the flavor (I really liked their Havanas), not the alcohol content, I'd stick to beer/wine/Sangria or simple mixes (Rum and Cola, Vodka and Apple Juice, etc.) If you are looking for name brand things, they are available in the store for affordable prices. All in all, I always managed to find something tasty to eat for every meal. At the end of the trip we both wanted to stay longer!

As the occupancy dropped after Easter, for most of our trip there was only the buffet and one al a carte option (the italian restaurant was never open during our stay), we stuck to the buffet. Note if you want to eat at an al a carte option, you have to reserve the day before by 15h...but you can do this online (if you remember and have internet access).

Room Tip: The bugalows are updated and were quiet, but as the resort is quite large could require lots of walk...
1  Thank IA_Traveler2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are very happy to read that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay at Creta Maris.
We hope you have contacted a member of our staff in order to get more information about the property. Our indoor pool actually operates on a daily basis but at Terra building, next to the gym. All pools were open from the first day of operation, so the slides pool was open too!
Concerning the WiFi, we would like to thank you about the comment. There should be a connection in all rooms & bungalows so we will look on that more thoroughly in order to fix any problem.
We would like to let you know that we will read your comments carefully and do our best to ameliorate our services in the future.

Hope to welcome you very soon again at Creta Maris Beach Resort!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

For our first time in Greece, we went to Crete, Hersonissos.

I might avoid Hersonissos in Summer [ I'm not a teenager anymore], but now in April, it was a perfect family destination. Quiet - Nice - Warm enough.

I would have rated this hotel as 5 star if the indoor swimming pool was accessible / working but it was not.... Anyway this is just a small cloud in a complete blue sky.

Food has been AWESOME. Choice - style - quality - everything has been perfect. Wines were a bit "so so" but I guess that's what you expect in an 'all-inclusive' holiday. Still it was good.
Dessert are a bit 'off' compared to the meat / vegetables. Not a show-stopper...

Everyone in the hotel staff is really looking to help. It's not so common nowadays. It's a real +.

Based on this experience, I will come back to Crete!

Room Tip: Get a bungalow with sea view - they are awesome
2  Thank Olivier P
Creta_Maris, Marketing & PR Manager at Creta Maris Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are very happy you enjoyed your holidays at Creta Maris Beach Resort.
We will read your comments carefully and do our best in order to improve our services till your next visit. Please allow us to inform you that for technical reasons our indoor pool located at Maris Building is not operating but there is a second one, located at Terra Building (next to our Gym) which operates regularly.
We really hope to welcome you again very soon at Creta Maris!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Any of you who were visiting like us lots of 5 stars hotels around the world, be warned that this is DOES NOT feel or look like a 5 star luxury hotel!

We are 5 adults which stayed for 5 nights celebrating my grandma 85th birthday.

The rooms we got were tiny for 5 adults and also very ugly.
One of the beds was a child-sized bed (which I had to sleep in for 5 nights) which you couldn’t turn around inside and you could feel its springs.

We had to ask for the staff to fix our air conditioner and then a technician came while we were there and fixed it.

We had to ask for the staff to fix our toilet which got stuck 4 (!!!!) times. The toilet was broken from the moment we entered the room. They didn’t think this is a fine idea to switch our rooms if it happened a lot of times, and that it is reasonable to call the technician every single minute.
Since these were 2 connected rooms clean staff thought this is okay to take toilet paper from one room to the other, and so we didn’t have enough of it and needed to ask for it as well.
Needed to ask for Shampoo.

Most food tasted badly for us. Salads were awful.

We were hosted on April, which isn’t the “hot season” and this meant something we discovered only when getting into the hotel – NO SHOWS WHATSOEVER WERE IN THE EVENINGS.
Since there isn’t anything to do around the hotel (because location in Crete only means how close are you to the trip you are willing to do, and all the hotel surroundings were full of car rental stores and nothing nice or interesting to see or do – and a very ugly roads to walk on - yes. No pedestrian way),
In the evenings because you don’t have shows there is nothing to do which is very lame. There is only entertainment staff which is most of it is not professional and cannot hold the hotel crowd for a whole night. This makes the evenings boring.

Also large parts of the hotel are abandoned or closed which feels creepy. Only small swimming pools for children. 1 a bit larger was warmed up but the other central which we thought we could use as well was closed and it was really irritating.

Speaking with the managers of the hotel and the staff for at least 3 hours of our vacation and getting mad about it, didn’t help in any way. At we got was an insulting package of fruit and wine (are you kidding me? This is an all included hotel package, I deserve this without paying to it. This is not any compensation) which was disrespectful and insulting to us and our intelligence.

I guess the hotel standard in Crete is very low and this is why this is staged as a 5 stars. But I know that if I knew all of the above I would've ran away (and maybe even change the location of the trip because of it).

14  Thank kerenkal
Creta_Maris, Marketing & PR Manager at Creta Maris Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry we have not met your expectations during your stay. Please let us clarify the issues mentioned in your review. Firstly, the rooms offered to you and your family, were two garden view main building rooms, with a connecting door, as booked. During your reservation you have requested a room with two bathrooms and we have explained that only suites offer two bathrooms. Since a free upgrade requested was not possible we have proposed two connecting rooms. All our standard main building rooms offer a 27sqm space as stated in all brochures. The decoration of the rooms is also the same as shown in all brochures and our website. As requested in your reservation the one room also had a sofa bed in order to accommodate a third person in the room. Our sofa bed size is 200x100cm which is the size of a regular single bed, not a child-sized bed.

To continue with, concerning the toilet incident please let us explain that as in most European countries toilet roll can be flushed in our toilets. Of course that does not mean that guests can dispose any paper materials in the toilets (i.e. sanitary articles). As in many European countries, for greater quantities of toilet roll or sanitary articles there is a basket next to the toilet. Your room toilet stuck because of a great amount of paper disposed.

Continuing, concerning the bathroom amenities, we would like to let you know that all rooms are daily equipped and refilled, when needed, with toilet paper and bathroom amenities (soap, shampoo, bath foam, etc). In case a guest needs more supplies he needs to contact the front desk.

Moreover, concerning the food offered in our restaurants, we are sorry we have not met your expectations. We try to offer a great variety of dishes in order to satisfy every guest. We also use the best quality of local fresh ingredients in all our recipes. We hope you have mentioned something to our staff in order to try satisfying any particular culinary need of yours.

Furthermore, concerning the evening entertainment provided by the resort please allow us to inform you that there was a full program on a daily basis. During last week there was a dancing party every night at the resort’s disco. Additionally, two shows were presented within the first week of operation, on Monday (Michael Jackson Show) and on Friday (Grease Show). Apart from the standard evening entertainment, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday the resort presented additional Easter festivities for children and adults. Moreover, please let us clarify that even though the resort operates in low occupancy since it is the first week of operation, all areas are open for all our guests (all swimming pools, public areas, & gardens).

Concerning the area of Hersonissos, please allow us to explain that there is a pedestrian way on the seaside connecting our resort with the port of Hersonissos (about 10min walk) which is full of small shops, bars, and restaurants. All our front office agents are always happy to explain the way to go around if asked.

Lastly, as far as we know you only had a conversation with the Front Desk Manager during check-in, who proposed two other rooms for you in case you prefer to move. You agreed to see the rooms but at last you never requested to move. During the 4th day of your stay, our Front Desk agent asked you again if you would like to change your room and you declined the offer. On the same day, our Guest Relations Supervisor tried to reach you as well but you were in an excursion. That was the reason she have sent you the bottle of wine and the basket of fruits with her business card in order for you to reach her if you were in need of something. This offering was not compensation, since we have offered all services promised and did our best to meet your expectations, but a nice gesture by the Guest Relations Supervisor letting you know that she was there for you in case you needed any further assistance.

We hope to have another chance in the future to offer you a better experience of our hospitality at Creta Maris Beach Resort.

Marketing & PR Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
Aldemar Knossos Royal
Pilot's Villas Luxury Suites
Pilot's Villas Luxury Suites
#1 of 13 in Koutouloufari
Mitsis Laguna Resort & Spa

Been to Creta Maris Beach Resort? Share your experiences!