“No way a 5 star hotel more like 2 stars”

Hersonissos Palace Hotel
Ranked #79 of 171 Hotels in Hersonissos
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed here for one week in May and to my horror this was deffinatley not a five star hotel, although it was cheap you only get what you pay for I've stayed in many hotels over europe i would rate this 1 or 2 star. Didn't eat in the hotel at all except we had breakfast on the first morning horrible smell from the dining room put us off, oh and no toast. The staff in the bar area we're so miserable and the all inclusive drinks taste like water.
The room was clean but very dated cracks through the walls and the bathroom looks like it's seen better days didn't get a wink of sleep all week the bed was so hard i thought i'd woken up on the floor of our room. In a nutshell this is not a 5 star hotel.

1  Thank SusK_12
There are newer reviews for Hersonissos Palace Hotel

Reviewed 31 May 2012

We went for a hen party and so was 9 girls ready to go party have fun sun bathe but can you do anything remotely similar to that at this hotel no way.
We got in at 2.30am not our fault delayed flight and had to wait 2 hrs for our transfer bus to take us to ourr hotel and as soon as we got in and not opened our suitcase we got constant phone calls to be quiet, we then were sleeping and had a note in our door to say we have to stay quiet if we want to stay at the hotel or well be thrown out!!!! no signs anywhere to say you are not allowed to make noises by the pool between 2-5pm.
The Food- whatever you do DO NOT GO ALL INCLUSIVE food is gross not edible at all cheap cheap cheap is all i can say the times are not suitable at all 7.30-9.30 brekfast 1-2pm lunch only and 6.30 9.30 dinner if you miss it then tough!!!!! very short windows and lucky if you missed it im sure i lived on chips and salad throughout the stay
do not clean the rooms the view is rubbish and the staff are extremely rude

1  Thank sunita305
fotini28, Public Relations Manager at Hersonissos Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2012

Dear guests.
Our main concerns are the expectations of our guests to be reached. The feedback is taken seriously in consideration so we can be improved to the points that we need to be developed.
Your review gives us the opportunity to confirm to every viewer or possible future guests that we put all of our effort to make the vacation of our guests very relaxing and enjoyable.
There are booking directions conditions on behalf of the guests that we follow; there are internal regulations that help us to provide best service in the hotel.
We are officially able to terminate the stay of guests that according to our standards their behavior is not appropriate. Furthermore we are not responsible to find any accommodation for them.
Guests that causing problems with their attitude to other guests or to the property, as you have done, first we inform them about that, as I have done to you by offering detailed all the reasons why your behavior was not appropriate in the hotel, and in case that the situation remains the same we take immediate action so we can protect mainly the vacation of the other guests and secondly the property.
I could detail your behavior but I respect the privacy regulation.
We would like all the reviewers to be informed that we are really conscious their holidays not to be spoiled by any reasons. We want all the future guests to be informed that all regulations or directions have been made to protect them and their stay in the hotel.
Another point that you do not mention in your review is that although your behavior was completed unacceptable not only for a five star hotel but not even for a two star hotel as you have rated us we propose you a new accommodation and also you forgot to mention that during your stay in the proposed accommodation you spoiled properties assets that you were even charged.
I hope the reviewers to have a more accurate opinion based in your review and my reply.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to provide all these information.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel last week, on first arrival there we were greeted by a polite happy gent got checked in and our bands attached around our wrist and shown to our room, we didn't manage to get back down stairs in time for food they close the doors for meals bang on the time, even after a long days traveling no discretion for just 10 minuets even tho I noticed others still sitting eating, but we excepted this and made our way to the front for food, it's a nice area, every one is very polite happy and more than welcoming in the local area, (I RECOMMEND HERSONISSOS AS A PLACE TO STAY IN CRETE) after stopping for food in a very nice restaurant we returned to the hotel and again just missed the 11 o'clock bar close, the bar man as he was making drinks for the people on the other side of the bad he immediately said bar closed sorry, I said that we had just arrived and could do with a quick drink before we headed to our room, and so he did make us a drink.

my complaints are that the food is far to cheep and not always at a high temperature, the meat is all fat to the point it was inedible and they wash the salad/veg in the tap water that leaves a horrendous taste on the food. They keep to the times with no discretion. The rooms are low grade, the bathroom wasn't properly cleaned when we arrived I found hairs in the bath and sink and splash marks from toothpaste on the mirror, the balcony floor was filthy and the batteries in the air conditioning remote was faulty. There is NO entertainment in the night you still sit at the pool bar all night with a little amount of chares so you all sit on the hard white plastic patio furniture (UNCOMFORTABLE) there is also very little choice in drinks from the all inclusive side (you get 3 horrible cocktails, beer, wine, uzzo and raki..) On our check out at 12 they cut our bands off and said that the all inclusive ends at 12 along with check out, we were not due to be picked up by our transfer until 5, I explained that we missed the dinner on our arrival day so had been cut short, so the woman who was very snotty said "I will give you card for lunch and drinks finishes at 2 tho.. OK.!" so we had our last meal there and headed to the bar and at again 2 o'clock bang on, the bar maid said you now have to pay for drinks you can have water, I asked how much for 1 cup of lemonade she said €2.80.. I thought this was very very petty and very cheap of the hotel..

I will be honest, very clean communal area and bar, empty glasses are collected very regularly, its happy hotel to be in, it's in the right area but this hotel is far far from a 5 star, more like a 3 star, I would defiantly stay in Crete again with out a minuets doubt but would NOT RECOMEND this hotel for someone who enjoys the all inclusive side of a holiday..

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leighton B
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Having just returned from this hotel I think the hotel itself is a 5* for the area and country but for typical British standards probably a 3*. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and attentive and nothing was too much of a problem, and they were very welcoming and chatty. The hotel itself is spotless and very clean and room service everyday, even if you wanted a lie in it would get done in the afternoon :). As I am a fussy eater though I found the food was very limited and there wasn't a lot of variety, and fresh food eg. salad tasted as though it had been washed in their tap water rather than fresh water as there was a "tang" to it. I think the only let down for me was that there was no entertainment what so ever in the hotel, and with the bar closing from 11pm if you wanted a nice night doing nothing by the bar it would get slightly boring. Everything is in complete walking distance of the hotel so beaches, bars, restaurants & shops were literally a 2 min walk. I would recommend this hotel to couples or groups but for family's I think with out the entertainment or activities there children would get bored easily.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2012

This hotel is pretty good, rooms ,staff some good some not,( restaurant manager miserable ) restaurant staff very helpful and friendly.
Overall not a lot wrong only one particular gripe and that is-- there is nowhere to sit and enjoy
a comfortable drink and a chat, actually i lie there is a lovely lounge bar just off the reception area
but it only opens in winter so therefore you have to sit outside at the poolbar which is ok during the day but not in the evening when you have dressed for dinner and dont want to sit outside on whicker chairs that have seen better days i did mention this to reception but nothing changed.
So i would not recommend this hotel and i would not return it does not live up to the standards of a lot of other hotels on Crete my wife and i have visited this Island 8 times now and never had a problem. So there you have it the choice is yours you know mine. A big hello to Dick & Lenny.

Room Tip: 4Th probably the best
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Returned yesterday from 7 nights all inclusive at Hersonissos Palace. This was our second time we stayed at this hotel. It has staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean and tidy worth the money. The food is plentiful and there are all types for everyone. The only complaint is at breakfast there is no English bacon and no toaster to make toast. We would recommend this hotel as it is a great base, the beach, bars and shops are only a stones throw away. One warning is that the mosquitoes are plentiful so take plenty of protection.

Room Tip: Book main hotel room (not annex)
3  Thank holidaytimes449
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I have just returned on the 26/05/2012 after staying one week all inclusive at the Hersonissos Palace.
First of all, this is not a 5 star hotel, I would give it 2, possibly 3 at a push.

To start off with the bad points, there are no double beds in the hotel, you will get two singles pushed together. The beds are also rock hard which gave me a bad back every morning.
None of the food was labelled and I found it very difficult finding food to eat all week. How they can get away with not labelling food with all the allergies people can have, i don't know. The chef cooks on a grill, but again, there are no signs or special boards saying exactely what he is cooking.
No toast at breakfast ! plenty of eggs and tinned german sausages, cold slices of cheese and meat. Another thing I found strange, was that they had more cake on offer at breakfast than any other time of the day. I craved a fruit salad but the best i was offered was a slice of apple or orange.
The tv in the room had only two english speaking channels, both news, CNN and BBC World News.
There was no kettle or drink making facilities in the room. We took our own kettle which worked out as a god send.
You had to pay 20 euros to use the safe in your room, which was non-returnable.
There was no entertainment at night, no music, no quizes, nothing. The bar upstairs in the lobby was never open.
Outside the hotel, there was lots of derelict buildings and waste ground. There were no nice restaurants where you could get dressed up. Just lots of the same beach/cafe style restaurants where they try and drag you inside when walking past.
The beach is shaley, not sandy and the sea is very rocky. Finally the last bad point is that there were no real bargains about everything was twice as expensive as back home in the uk.

The good points were : free wifi in the lobby. This was another god send because of the lack of entertainment at night, I downloaded some films and would then go back to the room to watch them on the laptop.
The room has air con and a fridge. There is a supermarket opposite. Scooter hire is 20 euros a day. Most excursions, like boat trips and Knossos, worked out at roughly 20-25 euros.
The waiters were friendly and anything extra needed like pillows or blankets were soon provided.

To summise, if you are thinking of going to hersonissos palace, take a kettle, coffee, t bags etc and make sure you have an idea of what to do in the evening time.

I actually wouldn't go back or recommend this hotel to anybody.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 4th floor, the highest and found this was a good position. No mosquitoes came i...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
Hersonissos Hotel
Golden Beach Hotel
Golden Beach Hotel
#62 of 171 in Hersonissos
Aktia Lounge Hotel & Spa

Been to Hersonissos Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!