“Hersonissos palace”

Hersonissos Palace Hotel
Ranked #82 of 172 Hotels in Hersonissos
Reviewed 27 August 2014

No way 5 star especially after a week on costa cruise. Staff bend over backwards for Russian speaking guests. Ignorant waiters in hotel. No attempt made to pour coffee at breakfast or to make guests welcome. Alfresco dining area looks out on waste land stray cats and garbage bins. Not fussy but this really was the pits in my opinion after a cruise. Pool fabulous and bedrooms spotless if well used. No one was particularly interested in English speaking guests. Have travelled extensively and would never stay here again out of choice. Other hotel in chain few metres down the road equally poor.

Room Tip: Avoid the annexe
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Grazyna D
fotini28, Public Relations Manager at Hersonissos Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Guests, thank you for review of the Hersonissos Palace although we are disappointed the hotel did not meet your expectations. We are an international hotel attracting guests from all over the world and we try to make all our guests feel welcome and comfortable no matter what nationality they are. I feel it is a little unfair to compare a cruise ship with any hotel, the whole ethos is very different as is the surroundings.
It would be useful to have an example of where English speaking guests were discriminated against; all our staff try to speak English, but remember it is not their native language and at the height of the season they can be very busy and sometimes words don’t come out in the right order!
I’m sorry to hear that you would not stay at the Hersonissos Palace out of choice, we have many travellers from the various cruise ships that come into Heraklion and they usually speak highly of the hotel and its facilities.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

My wife and i have just got back from a week at this hotel and we totally loved it. All the staff were friendly and really helpful. There was also a fantastic choice of food and drink. We spent most days relaxing at the pool at the rear of the hotel and the pool bar was very handy. We both commented we would revisit this hotel.
Thank you Hersonissos palace hotel for a fantastic holiday.

Room Tip: select to stay in the main hotel, we were lucky and got an ajoining building but some people comment...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michael S

Dear Guests, thank you for your review of the Hersonissos Palace. We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us; we work hard as a team to make sure all our guests feel welcome and comfortable and I will certainly pass your comments on to the staff. We are glad you enjoyed the spread of food in the restaurant, the chef and his team have worked hard this year to make sure there is a wide choice of food with a different selection every day.
Thank you again for a really good review and we look forward to seeing you again in the future when we can welcome you once more and give you another fantastic holiday.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I travelled to Greece with my husband and son thinking I was getting a 5 star hotel. I was let down by my expectations. In my personal opinion the hotel looked more like a 2 star hotel. I feel like the photos of the hotel advertised on the website we booked with were not a true representation. We had to ask for our rooms to be cleaned. I would have been happier if I had been advised upon booking that all inclusive drinks stopped at 11pm and food at 9pm. Also I was disappointed by the fact that our money for the safe deposit was non refundable. On a positive note the bar staff were very polite and helpful. Overall I was dissapointed and would not return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hersonissos palace hotel. From arrival we were made to feel very welcome. We arrived about 10pm and Fotini the manager had put together a snack as she knew we might be hungry after travelling. The BBQ night was on when we arrived and it looked as though everyone was having a brilliant time dancing together by the pool. A week later the BBQ was on again but we chose not to attend however, when we seen the pool area set out it looked lovely and wish we had paid the 16euro. if you choose not to attend the BBQ like we did, the restaurant is still open as usual and food there is lovely. Plenty of choice every day!!! There is always something that everyone will like. I don't understand how people can complain about the food, because when we were there, people were getting about 5 plates of food each!! At breakfast time the chef (located in the corner of the room) cooked fried eggs every morning, and some days they had fresh pancakes being made. Along with this they had freshly baked bread which was still warm, beans, mushrooms, boiled eggs, bacon/sausages, croissants, cereals and the usual continental items such as cheese/ham. Lunch and Tea times were again great, plenty to choose from and again the chef was there cooking meats and fresh pastas. The staff in the restaurant were always working hard and were very quick to clean your tables as well as constantly putting out fresh food!
We had a sea view room on the top floor. Room was everything that we needed it for, it was very clean; maids came in everyday to clean and to give us fresh towels. We met a couple who where staying in the annex and although they said it was smaller than our room they were still happy as it was clean and tidy and only used to get ready and sleep in. who's bothered about the size of your room, your never in it!!
As for people talking about the cats and dogs. Im not a big fan of cats but there was quite a lot of them around however, this is not the hotels fault they are stray cats and if they smell food they are going to see what food they can get, they never bothered us at all.
The location of the hotel is great a 2 minute walk to the beach and restaurants and if you like a good night out the hotel is a few minutes walk to bar street. There are lots of bars catering for all ages, if you don't like the loud music you can just sit outside the clubs and still be able to talk and soak in the atmosphere. There is a beach called star beach which is about 8 euro in a taxi which is brilliant there and its a sandy beach not pebbles/stones like by the hotel. We actually walked to star beach one day right along the edge of beach it took about 40 minutes but was a lovely walk.
overall I would definitely go back to Hersonissos and I would definitely stay at the Hersonissos palace hotel! Thanks Fotini and staff for catering for all of needs.
Janine & Colin

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank janine b
fotini28, Public Relations Manager at Hersonissos Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Janine and Colin, thank you for writing a review of the Hersonissos Palace. It was a pleasure to read and I will certainly share your comments with the staff who, I am sure, will really appreciate your review.
If we know in advance, we always arrange for a plate of cold meat, cheese, bread and fruit for guests arriving after the restaurant has closed just in case you need a snack. I particularly liked your comments on the restaurant and the breakfast food, I could just go and eat it now!
We do work hard to try to make all our guests feel welcome and comfortable while they are staying with us; it is important to us that guests want to return to the Hersonissos Palace.
It is good to read that you explored Hersonissos town and enjoyed your walk to Star Beach. Crete has its own unique hospitality and to call at a local taverna, to try to speak a little Greek, have a drink, and enjoy the views of the sea and the mountains is all part of the magic of the island.
We really do appreciate your enthusiasm and that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you again for your comments. We look forward to seeing you in the near future so that we can share times together once more.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed 2 weeks in August at this hotel and to be honest I wouldn't go back there at all!!! Room looked really old and tired. Clean but nowhere near for a 5 star level.

First nights we got an annex room away from main building, my wife start crying when she saw the room. The air con was so noisy we couldn`t sleep all nights. The furnitures were there from the second world war or maybe the first world war. I will ulpload some pictures from it. The tely and the radio was ridiculous. On a king size bed were two single matraces,so between my wife and I was a 20 inch gap. The paint evrywhere, it was like an 80 years old granny was boring and start painting in the room wihout glasses. Before we went we have paid an extra £30 to get a sapciuos room and balcony, with a land view. We get a so small balcony we coluldn`t manage to sit down 3 of us and we were watching an other hotel building. I wouldn`t give any star for this room at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next day we get an other room in the main buliding for an extra 130 euro. This room was better, cleaner, newer furnitures. Probably I would say a tight 3 star hotel room. If we switched off the lights in the bathroom we had wait few minutes to get lights on again. Was flashing and wibrating for few minutes. Just didn`t work. We reported twice, but when we left it was still the same.

The food was good, plenty of choice and fresh every day. We always find something special. My favorite was the lamb, well done for that. Well done for staff, they did a very hard job to go everything to the right way. In restauran specialy Anna did a very good job, always smiling, always nice to people. She is a special person and we are pleased to meet her. In bar Petros and Landi were very very friendly and nice people. We are pleased to meet them too. The bar tender in day time a realy angry and rude person, and he must be always right. Never for customers. It was a plesure when he had a day off and somebody replaced him.
No snack. Only a small cake between 3-4, and you have to ask for it. If you were late 1 minute, you weren`t able to get any.

Good points:
Free wifi
Very close to the beach but the beach is very narrow and rocky in the sea. Its very crowed. A shoe recommanded becouse the rocks
The sea and weather is amaizing. The water is cristal clear and very warm.
Close to the lively town centre
Around the swiming pool, always could find a sunbed for free.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SHungary
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed one week in July at this hotel and to be honest I wouldn't go back there at all. Room looked really old and tatty, everywhere you went you could see lots of stray cats and dogs. From time to time a cat was coming to drink water from the pool :) and one of the dogs was always trying to get in the hotel :).
Food was tasty but you couldn't see any food labeling at all. It has a very poor animation in the evening and not at all during the day.
The pool closes at 7pm but it happened on three occasions when we were "kicked out" at 6:40 pm by the very rude and grumpy staff.
We went all inclusive and that include just breakfast, lunch,dinner and few drinks. There is no snack time except a very small cake that you have to ask for it at the bar. You are not allowed ice cream if you are over 11 years old and trust me there were only 4 kids at the time we stayed. All inclusive finishes at 11 pm so you have to pay afterwards.
They have a barbecue night when you have to pay 16 EURO extra if you want to join in (I've never seen something like that :)
The beach is very close to the hotel but it's not a sandy beach and the sea is very rocky. I don't think this beach is suitable for children.
Location is very good, close to restaurants and pubs.
I wasn't very impressed by this hotel, I've been to better ones in Spain so I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maria B
fotini28, Public Relations Manager at Hersonissos Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Guests, thank you for your review of the Hersonissos Palace although we are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. There are stray cats and dogs in Crete, the cats are a feature on many tourist post cards but they are not allowed in the hotel building and they are discouraged by the staff; however some guests give them food which attracts them to stay. The pool is regularly cleaned, filtered and chemicals added from about 6pm when we ask that guests vacate the pool otherwise the chemicals may cause skin problems.
The main meals and side dishes are usually clearly labelled but there are always members of staff available by the buffet to explain the ingredients of the dishes and which of the many herbs and spices can be added. The ‘all-inclusive’ tariff is clearly explained in the description of all the main tour operators, in the reception of the hotel and at the bar; this includes all restaurant meals and all local drinks. Snacks, ice creams and branded drinks are all available at the bar, but are not included in the ‘all-inclusive’ tariff; this is explained by your tour operator.
The BBQ night is a Cretan experience that is part of the entertainment provided by the hotel; the restaurant is open as usual. The BBQ is an option, it is your choice if you wish to come and includes a wide choice of grilled food, table service for drinks and a top Cretan band, singers and dancers.
There are animation activities during the day and in the evenings we have Cretan dancers, International dancers, a Cretan boy band (Bad Messenger) and a karaoke night.
We are disappointed that you were not impressed by the Hersonissos Palace; we work really hard as a team to make all our guests feel welcome and comfortable during their stay with us so that they will want to return in the future.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

The food at the hotel was very good. Plenty of choice and fresh every day.However.... the hotel is no more than a tired 3 star. It is clean and the staff work hard. It has no animation team and limited evening entertainment. It is situated a very short walk from the beach but the beach is very narrow and rocky in the sea. Its very crowed and you have to pay for sun beds. Its located short walk to the harbour where you can find shops, restaurants and bars that gets very lively later on.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank steve b

Dear Guests, thank you for writing a review of the Hersonissos Palace. We are a designated five star Greek hotel, based on the facilities we provide, offering good value for money. The staff work hard to give all our guests a welcoming and comfortable stay with us; the food is fresh with a large choice, there is a wide choice of local drinks, the rooms and linen are cleaned every day as is the hotel area.
The evening entertainment offers Greek dancers, International dancers, a Cretan boy band, karaoke and a special BBQ evening. If you prefer to find your own entertainment then the hotel is situated only a short distance from the local clubs and tavernas.
The sunbeds and umbrellas in the hotel area are all free to use and we always ensure there are enough sunbeds for everyone.
We are glad you enjoyed the spread of food at the Hersonissos Palace and hope that you will return one day to have an even more enjoyable stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
Hersonissos Hotel
#63 of 172 in Hersonissos
Hersonissos Village Hotel
Hersonissos Village Hotel
#51 of 172 in Hersonissos

Been to Hersonissos Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!