The first thing one notices when arriving at the Royal Mare, apart from the beautiful shrubs and flowers, is the WELCOME and the feeling that you are expected - even before getting to reception.
The smart guys with the carts who instantly collect your luggage are a delight and couldn't be more helpful - they are there to assist and that's exactly how they are.
The vast reception hall is often buzzing with all sorts of people, and the desk itself invariably busy, but from behind that desk one senses an awareness that you have arrived. The lovely Elena Kapsokefalou and her superb "premier league" team on the front desk operate smoothly, efficiently and always with warmth and a smile. Then from across the hall comes Nicholas the manager of Guest Relations, with a face, a smile and a greeting to melt any heart !!
This was not our first visit to the hotel by any means and It ALWAYS feels like we've come back home to friends and relatives who have missed us and are genuinely pleased to see us again. What more could one ask for.......even before getting immersed in the room, the meals, the pools, the bars and the holiday proper. I'd be happy to just spend time with these wonderful people in the front hall as long as I could have a meal and a drink and a swim from time to time !!!
The rest of the hotel itself, spread over a very large area, and the very well maintained grounds, never disappoints - yes of course, if one looks hard enough, one will find small bits of maintenance and housekeeping needing to be done; but if you choose to let those minor issues interfere with your enjoyment of this beautiful place then you are either someone simply determined to find fault and complain about as much as you can - in the hope of getting something else for free - or you arrive with totally unrealistic expectations (this is after all the island of Crete and not Dubai).
From the top of the hill at the hotel's main entrance down to the beach outside the Albatross restaurant you will experience quality. The pools are great, the restaurants very appealing, satisfying and comfortable with near perfect service, the rooms (certainly the ones I have stayed in) offer everything one needs in terms of comfort and facilities, AND the bars just perfect. BUT most of all this hotel has a huge team of very kind, smiley and responsive staff for whom nothing is ever too much trouble.
I have read a few not-so-positive reviews of this hotel on this site, but they absolutely do not reflect my own experiences. The comments are in main VERY picky and trivial and make me very cross to see because they are absolutely not deserved - to those recent reviewers who had get their own tea-bags at breakast I say......... "get a life !!"
My wife and I love this place and its people, so much so that we insist on a visit, no matter how brief, every time we go to Crete - even though we own an apartment about half an hour inland from Heraklion !!
Thank you EVERYONE for such a positive contribution to the already comfortable life we enjoy - we were very fortunate to have found you all those years ago and are blessed to have such lovely people in our lives.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Mare Luxury Resort + Thalasso is an exciting holiday destination located at the heart of the Mediterranean in a realm of myths and stories. There are so many ways to relax at this beautiful community surrounded by cooling water and verdant gardens. Chill out in the comfort of your well-appointed room, enjoy the sparkling blue waters of the sea, treat yourself at the world's finest thalassotherapy centre, discover the secrets of Cretan cuisine and embrace an enchanting summer full of traditional Cretan hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com and Cancelon so you can book your Aldemar Royal Mare Thalasso Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aldemar Royal Mare And Thalasso
- Aldemar Royal Mare & Thalasso Hotel Chersonisos
- Aldemar Royal Mare Village Thalasso
- Royal Mare Village
- Royal Mare Crete
- Aldemar Royal Mare Thalasso Resort Crete, Greece