“Given dangerous advice....”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Cornwall, United Kingdom
“Given dangerous advice....”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Having been guided by previous reviews, my wife and I visited this taverna and opted for the mussels and a seafood pasta. Contrary to other peoples experience, ours was a disaster. The place was half full, so not so busy. Two waiters and a waitress should have had no problem. However, one guy spent most of his time talking to passing friends, whilst the other guy was happy to watch the girl doing most of it. When one couple complained they had been seated for 15 minutes without being spoken to, they were told ''you were the last ones in, you have to wait your turn''.
Waiting is not a problem for us, the food is more important, and here was the problem. The dish of mussels in tomato sauce arrived with at least a third of the mussel shells closed, and two or three shells open but empty. The seafood pasta consisted mostly of small prawns of the Youngs frozen variety, with a dressing of three fresh prawns and three mussels, two of which were still closed. I complained to the young girl who served us, but she didn't seem to understand, so the guy 'watching' came over. I pointed out the closed shells, and he offered to show me how to open them!! He said in Greece, the shells do not always open, but they are ok to eat as the smell will tell you if they are bad or not!! He refused to do anything regarding our complaint, saying his father, who owned the place, was a fisherman who knew about fish, and that there was nothing wrong here.
Mussels that are open before you cook them, should be discarded. Mussels that are still closed after you cook them, should be discarded. They should NEVER be eaten. They shouldn't even be on the plate. Other people seem to have had a different experience to us, fair enough. However, we certainly won't return. There are other places where we are more confident in the seafood being served. For those who do want to risk it, the prices seemed reasonable, the service is relaxed, and it's right by the sea.

1 Thank mrbox
Panagiwths, Ιδιοκτήτης at Akrogiali, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
We got very sad from your criticism and we would like to reply to your article.

First of all, we are sorry for not achieving to satisfy your expectations about our services.
Moreover,we would like to ensure you that the advise about the mussels it was not just a theory or our personal opinion but its the result of sientific research by fisheries biologists (Nick Ruello)

pls check http://www.springbayseafoods.com.au/media/press-releases/Blue%20mussels%20-%20an%20open%20and%20shut%20case.pdf

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Belgrade, Serbia
“Excellent choice for good and fresh sea food meal...Must eat there if you are around!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I've just arrived from my late summer vacation that I've spent at Santorini and Crete, Hersonissos. Place is full of taverns and restaurants as around seashore as well as around villages with grate view (Piskopiano, Koutouloufari), that are about 1.5 km uphill above city. There are a lot of good places for getting excellent food...all sorts of traditional local meals... and probably you won't regret by choosing any of them...it only depends of one's preferences.
"Akrogiali" is small and simple Greek Taverna on the very sea shore, at the part of sea promenade out of noisy spots, where you can smell and looking at sea during your meal.
....The first thing that has set aside "Akrogiali" from the rest of tavernas was simplicity and the permanent overcrowding, especially with locals, at any time of day or night...you can have late night dinner if you wish.
...The second important feature of this taverna is the absence of annoying guys that blatantly invited you to enter. Simply, quality of service and food is an advertisement for itself!
After I was drawn, by all noted above, to visit the place, I realized that I wasn't wrong by choosing this place and that my friends and I would enjoyed our dinner very much.
... Kind and friendly stuff who are more than happy to explain everything about menu!
... Grate offer of sea food that is so fresh that it seems that it was swam at the sea shortly before! To me, if you eat sea food, it doesn't matter what you chose from menu, as long as it is fresh!
... Grate on-site prepared food...To me, waiting for your meal to be prepared, usually is a mark of a good quality restaurant.
... Food was so tasty and delicious...we've took octopus, squids and shrimps...yum, yum.. Compliments to the Chef!
... Great selection of fine wines... sea food have to swim in sea, olive oil and wine!
... At the and of our meal we've got raki ( local grape brandy) and home made vanilla ice-cream, as compliments from the house!
... At last, but not at least, prices are very affordable!

All in all, if you're in Hersonissos, do not miss the opportunity to eat at this tavern...I'm sure that after the first visit you will wish to come back again!
Excellent gastronomic experience in a beautiful sea side surroundings of Greek island of Crete!

2 Thank DDinic
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just go”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My place to feel just fantastic . Good food good atmosphere .people ready to give you greek taste food

1 Thank Lucy E
Arlington, Virginia
“Excellent seafood”
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Also friendly staff and good ambiance. The octopus and the dorado fish were both excellent. I thought it was good of the owner to admit that he didn't have certain fish from the menu because he wasn't satisfied with the quality of that day's catch. I went back twice - the place was so good!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Mariya1981
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Sea Food”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Loved it - fresh food; very feeling and reasonable - about 35 euros. excellent view and the greeks eat here... need i say more!

Visited July 2013