“An overall lovely hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
King Minos Palace Hotel
Ranked #51 of 178 Hotels in Hersonissos
Leicester, United Kingdom
“An overall lovely hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

I have recently just come back from a weeks holiday at the King Minos Palace. Overall the hotel is lovely! I would recommend it if you are looking for a quiet relaxing holiday. The positives of this hotel far out weigh the few negative aspects.

I will begin with the positives; the rooms were very clean and well kept (beds were relatively comfortable). The rooms were cleaned everyday included new bedding and towels each day. The pool area was clean and a relaxing atmosphere to be around. The pool bar serves drinks and food throughout the day - a good choice and excellent staff (George in particular). Breakfast had plenty of choice (contential, cooked & pastries etc). Dinner was a good selection of Greek food (perhaps not child friendly but this didn't affect our party) the staff in the restaurant area are very polite and attentive in particular (Stella). The staff on reception are very friendly and were able to answer any questions we had.

The negatives to this hotel; the plumbing in the bathroom was odd. There was a drain in the middle of the bathroom floor, whilst showering this additional drain foamed up and made the floor wet and dangerous. The only other downside to the King Palace Minos is the entertainment programme. There are a married couple who reside at the hotel called 'Animation'. Both members of staff are a huge disappointment to the hotel and bring the overall feel of the hotel down. The day to day activies were the same each day and the eveing entertainment was not to standard for a 4 star hotel. The Animation team often looked bored and un-interested to the extent where they were yawing during the evening entertainment and looking at their watches for when it was due to end! Such a disapointment.

Overall this hotel was fantastic and I would definetly stay again! (Just be careful if you have mobility problems as the hotel is on a hill with large steps to the entrance - this can be overcome though!)

Room Tip: Room 227 & 228 are on the roof of the hotel and are near no other rooms and provide the biggest...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SarahH725

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

We have recently returned from a very relaxing two weeks at the King Minos Palace hotel. The hotel was very good and not too big and the staff could not do enough to help. We had a lovely sea view room (409) which was nice and quiet at night. The main resort is a good 20 minutes walk away which suited us as we do not like it very busy, which the main resort was. We were on a half board basis and found the food good, and could always find something nice to eat out of the large choices available (Mark and Stella in the restaurant were great). We ventured up to the 'villages' where we were recommended to go and had a superb meal on a rooftop terrace restaurant and would recommend taking a taxi there at night (7 euros) and walking through the lovely traditional streets and maybe a nice stroll back!

Not many children there when we were there and not sure this hotel is really geared for them either.

The pool was very good and kept nice and clean as was all of the hotel. I cannot comment on the evening entertainment as we did not bother with this or the pool games during the day.

I would recommend this hotel if you like a smaller, quieter hotel and are looking for a peaceful relaxing time.

4 Thank Sue G
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

AGAIN a FANTASTIC HOLIDAY!
The staff were absolutely marvelous. We arrived at nearly midnight on the 15th Aug where we were greeted by the night reception gent who delivered our cases to our room whist we slaked our thirst at the pool bar. Greeted like old friends and immediately made to feel very welcome by all the staff who worked extremely hard and very long hours but treated us with respect, courtesy and an easy, unforced friendliness which would be hard to find anywhere else in the world (especially in the hotels and shops of modern Britain). The food was delicious and immaculately presented. Any spillage from messy guests cleaned up immediately. Multi Lingual and multi cultural guests a bonus in our opinion and a great opportunity to practice German, French, Italian and sign language. Cleanliness was perfect due to the herculean effort made by the cleaning personnel. Animation team of Marina and Lucky were also excellent and worked very hard at keeping us all occupied without being at all pushy. The staff that we had most dealings with and now feel like old friends are Stella, Mark, Athina, Yannis, Dimitri, Manolis and George. Nikos, on a very hot afternoon, kindly took our cases down on our departure which was the only sad time during the holiday. Fantastic atmosphere and we chatted happily with many European neighbours with whom we had a good laugh at the pool activities and in the bar at the evening shows and games..
Minor constructive criticisms; Room drainage could be be improved for grey water and any towels left on the pool beds for hours by selfish guests intending to use them later should be removed and left in a purpose made shame area!
We definitely recommend the best hotel in Crete to all visitors and thank the King Minos Palace staff for everything they did to make a "hard worked for holiday" become a reality.

King Minos Palace: The best place to stay in Crete and we will definitely go back to see our friends

Room Tip: Ask for sea view if available.
3 Thank cymropur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We have just returned from the King Minos after a fabulous 2 week holiday. We arrived at the hotel shortly after 2100hrs + were greeted by a lovely man who carried our cases up the stairs to reception. The receptionist checked us in + told us that they had kept the restaurant open as they were expecting us - we thought this was really kind as we were the only arrivals that evening! After we had eaten we were shown to our room - we had emailed the hotel a week before to request a bungalow room. It was lovely - so clean + the air con was fine - we had a remote control so we could control the temperature ourselves. We were tired after a long day + slept really well. The next morning we woke up to the most gorgeous view - we had a garden view but could still see the sea. Mealtimes were great - breakfast had everything you could want - toast/cooked breakfast/cereal/fruit/continental/Cretan dishes + in the evening there was plenty of choice also. I laughed out loud at one of the previous reviews where someone said they struggled to find something nice to eat + just ate chips - how ridiculous!!! The food was fresh + plentiful + I have no idea why anyone would complain! The general manager (Michael Kokolakis) was present quite a lot but it's his hotel so why not!!! He obviously has extremely high standards + the staff adhere to them - they were fantastic! Especially Stella, Mark, Yiannis, Athina, Nelly, Maria + Dimitris in the restaurant, George + Manolis at the pool + Maria on reception! Also the cleaners + the gardener/handyman who always took time out to say Kalispera to my little boy! They really are some of the loveliest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. My little boy celebrated his 3rd birthday out there + he got a cake on his birthday - the staff made such a fuss of him all the way through the holiday that it was like beimg away with a celebrity! He is still asking for Stella + Mark!!! I also celebrated my birthday + got a cake which was lovely!
We arrived on the bbq night + caught the end of it + it looked fun. We were there for the Greek night which was great - I got up to do Zorba's Dance!!! The animation team Lucky + Marina were really nice people - everyone was welcome to join in with the activities but there was no pressure which was good!!!
The beach is just over the road or under the underpass - by some of the reviews I was expecting a mile long death trap tunnel but it was literally just a couple of metres! Star Beach is good for children - we couldn't get my little boy off the slides!
The pool are was lovely - there was only one day we never got a sunbed but we just put our towels on the grass + it was no problem!
I read in some of the reviews that Germans got preferential treatment over the English - we NEVER witnessed any of that at all. Also I read in one review that they should have been told there wasn't many British at the hotel!!! I don't know why some people go abroad if all they want to do is eat English food + speak to English people! All the other guests were lovely - French, Austrian, Russian, German + Dutch - it was nice to mingle + chat with different people.
Yes there are a few steps at the hotel but I was glad of them as I didn't feel as guilty eating all the delicious desserts!!! The walk down to Hersonissos only takes a few minutes - it's quite touristy - lively but not rowdy! The port area has a lovely atmosphere. The hotel is perfectly positioned - it is close enough to walk into the centre but far away enough to have a bit of peace! We could hear the music from Star Beach but it didn't bother us at all as it went off quite early + the room was so soundproofed!
We explored the area ourselves - we went to Heraklion for the day + to Aghios Nikolaos - we just jumped on the bus which leaves from the Belveder Hotel at the bottom of the hill. We walked into Koutoulafari + Piskopiano which were gorgeous little villages. We also hired a car - at first we hired from Zygos but the child car seat was wrecked + falling to pieces so we went with Europcar (just a tip for anyone travelling with kids who need a car seat) - they were much better. We drove to lots of beautiful little villages + foumd a great little local taverna before driving to Ierapetra on the South of the island. I would highly recommend this.
There is a supermarket at the bottom of the hill but we found that the Spar at the end of the strip on the left hand side was better as it was much cheaper!!! It takes about half an hour to walk there.
We booked with Monarch holidays + the rep was as miserable as sin - clearly didn't like her job + there was no introduction on the coach transfer. We didn't have a welcome meeting as there wasn't enough Monarch customers in the hotel to warrant one - luckily the hotel made us feel valued!!! We were given a welcome pack off the rep but the 24 hour emergency number was left blank! The rep never visited the hotel once!!! On the way back to the airport the only thing she said was "The Manchester flight is checking in as normal at desk 11" We got to the airport + it was chaos - not even organised chaos!!! We found out we had a 2 hour delay by looking at the boarding card!!! I thought it would have been common courtesy for the rep to have let us know!
As she never visited the hotel, we asked the Thomson rep Rosie about car hire + she was FANTASTIC - an asset to Thomson - she helped us out even though we weren't even with Thomson. We have used Thomson the past couple of years + they were great - needless to say we will be booking with them next year! Rosie was really helpful + pleasant - she always had time for a chat even when she was off home - she is a real ambassador for Thomson + I cannot speak highly enough of her.
We had the most fantastic holiday + I wouldn't hesitate to come back to the KMP - I can see why people return year after year. I would recommend this to anyone of all ages! It was fabulous + I wish were still there!!! Kalispera!!!

Room Tip: We had room 709 - bungalow room - it was lovely - great views + perfectly located!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank fortune
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

We have just returned from a week at King Minos Palace and had a lovely time at this friendly hotel. The service is excellent - ALL the staff without exception are so customer orientated, literally nothing is too much trouble and they treat you like royalty. I do hope the hotel management cherishes and looks after them. We were half board and the food was fabulous and very well presented. Our room was fairly basic and the bathroom a wee bit dated but it was cleaned to a high standard every day and only a nit picker could find fault. The only downside - which is not the fault of the hotel - is the noise from the town at night, however it did stop about 11.30. The beach is ok and only a short walk. The pool is AMAZING and the surroundings very pretty. Most of the clientele are German, a nice change from hotels which are 100% British. It gives quite a cosmopolitan air! I even got to brush up on my O level German. ... There were a few children, not too many so there was not loads of noise around the pool. There were also a lot of younger couples and on the whole a good mix of ages. I probably will not go back, but only because I like to try new places and the world is big. I do not think I will ever meet such courteous, friendly and dedicated staff and I 100% recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room which is away from the noisy town
3 Thank Shinyhappy123
Hinckley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Had a lovely stay at the KMP with my 2 daughters 8th August 2013. Very clean and very friendly hotel. Good location too as you could have a quiet stay if you wanted or a more lively experience not far down the prom. (Can highly recommend a visit to Spinalonga). Our toilet flush broke whilst we were there and I reported it to the receptionist. When we returned an hour later the flush mechanism had been replaced. Fantastic service!! Lots of choice for breakfast and dinner although the chef was very inventive with the leftovers from the night before!! Beautiful views from the restaurant. Rosie the rep was very helpful and if you meet her, tell her she MUST GO TO UNIVERSITY!!! Aircon wasn't amazing but it did the trick every night and kept us cool. The pool was superb and very clean. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and well done to Dimitri for looking after us at meal times.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a room with a sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Karen D
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

Ok so i have literally just got back from 11 nights at the hotel half-board. I'll put it simply

PROS
○ friendly staff
○ clean and tidy
○ yummy food
○ location of hotel in terms of beach & mini market

CONS
• beds are really uncomfortable
• air con is not powerful enough in high season
• german sunbed towel culture & dominance in hotel

would i return, probably not but i would still recommend to certain people.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank be5nard