Scarriff Inn
The Olde Forge(Caherdaniel)
HotelQuickly
An Gleantain(Caherdaniel)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsirish hospitalitycoach stopdecent foodcafeteria style foodbuses stoppingview is amazingseatkerryguinnesssidesshopvista
Reviewed 11 September 2009

I took my mother, a friend and her mother in early September. Whilst the view is spectacular, a word to the wise - do not think of eating here. The service was awful. We were given one menu for 4 people. When we asked for more menus we were thrown one additional menu. We waited forever for the meal. To be fair the chicken curry and lasagne was okay for pub grub, however the boiled bacon and cabbage with mash and parsley sauce was truly uneatable. Gristly bacon, dry potato, and very little cabbage (all stalk and dark green leaf) - no parsley sauce. We asked twice for the sauce, waited about 15 minutes when it finally arrived. I had to go to the till to get the bill. Two of us got up to go outside and the waitress started wiping the table clean while two of us were still seated. Not an experience to be repeated, and cost us E64. We should have walked when we were only given one menu.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Its been about 10 years since I stopped with my family at the Scarriff Inn; a superbly located pub restaurant and b&b perched high on the hills above Caherdaniel on the world famous Ring of Kerry route.

From the outside things looked promising and the interior though a little dated in style initially seemed fine. To the left there was a bank of windows giving unrestricted access to one of the finest views available anywhere. As we approached the restaurant tables we passed by a wooden bar counter where a barman was putting the final touches to what looked like the perfect pint of Guinness. Any tourist visiting Ireland probably knows that this is a process that should not be hurried; the drink being poured in two stages allowing each to rest before serving. However not all establishments go to the time and trouble required and it was good to see a place that took obvious pride in the quality of its bar service. Unfortunately however the good impression was not to last !

On sitting down to our table I was a little perturbed to note it seemed like plastic patio furniture with a greasy vinyl covering; a theme which was continued when the waitress gave us single sheet laminated menus. Was it Gordon Ramsey who said you should run from any eating place that used laminated menus? Well I didn't need him to tell me that, I had always found them to be be symptomatic of a greater malaise in the management and ethos of a restaurant. However, entranced as we were by the fine views and still hoping that the food would live up to the standard of the Guinness we ordered two soups and some open sandwiches with salad.

All hope faded when the soup arrived. My wife who has a sense of taste that would be the envy of many a professional wine critic proclaimed hers to be packet soup with overcooked chunks of carrots added in. The children looked forlornly at their empty side plates wondering where the bread rolls were. It wasn't long before we realised that none would be arriving so we had to ask - twice! Finally they were served a single thin and tiny slice of brown bread each. The really annoying thing is we were charged extra for this. I don't think there can be many restaurants left in Ireland that would not automatically include rolls with a lunchtime serving of soup.

The dismal performance continued with coffee. Guess what? Instant, and with a nice swirling head of grease for our delectation. I sat back and raised my eyes to heaven and thought of the many people who must pass through this place. It was then I noticed the badges. Scores of them, all fixed to the exposed timber beams of the roof. There was NYPD, Police and Fire Department emblems from all over the USA and elsewhere. I couldn't help thinking they had been left by enforcement officials who had come to arrest the perpetrators here for crimes against the hospitality industry!

Complaining would not have been an option I believe. As far as I could see the people who run this place are happy with their product and they certainly were genuine and friendly . The view and pint are top class but they are all let down by a vision that seems stuck in the early 80's. Plastic furniture, instant coffee, and lack of investment mean they will struggle to get repeat custom and that's a real shame.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank AchillHiker
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Worst experience ever. Were told we were staying in an annexe - a miserable converted garage covered in condensation. Had booked dinner but was advised that could not have it later than 8pm as if it was quiet owner would close restaurant and bar. Ended up finding alternative accommodation and returned keys in the morning. Did not bother to complain as it was a pathetic experience. Caherdaniel itself is a beautiful spot. Would highly recommend Derrynane House Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Be advised and DON’T order food at this establishment - you will be swindled!

Recently (Aug 2009) booked a table for 5 to have a meal, which clearly was 5 too many for them to cope with in one go. 3 of us got our starters, but the other 2 took a further 15 minutes and then only when I went and reminded them.

For the main course and despite having the waitress repeat the order for steak to be medium rare, it duly arrived last and guess what, yes - very well done. The staff was really surprised when we sent it back and asked for it to be replaced. Needless to say, by the time the new one eventually arrived, the others had all finished. Hopeless! Although I spoke to the manageress about the starters fiasco, we never saw her again – all we got was a different waitress offering the excuse that our waitress was ‘new to the job’.

This place has a great view…but that’s what it trades on. They have a captive trade passing and I’ve no doubt they will have some arrangement with the tour bus companies.

The service was simply terrible, but mainly because of the lack of care by the management. They obviously don’t care, as they know that most of their customers will never pass their way again and so don’t complain – this is disgraceful.

The food was barely ordinary, but we were asked to pay extraordinary prices.

All in all, an extremely disappointing evening, which unfortunately leaves a poor impression of that part of Ireland.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2009

This place has a great view…But that’s it I’m afraid. Service is terrible, food is terrible and very pricy. Be prepared to wait and wait and wait a very long time for what will be complexly substandard food. The restaurant is on the Ring of Kerry so it is just passing trade they are after, and complete with tacky gift shop this place personifies the worst of the Irish RIP OFF culture.
Keep Driving into Caherdaniel where you will find The Blind Piper. Good value, good service and very good food.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family