It is true that Mary-Ann's Polarrigg is somewhat charming, and that you might sense the polar history, but I am sure that it is not worth staying there.
First of all, Mary-Ann's Polarrigg tells you that "We make outstanding polar food in exciting combinations with seal, whale, goose, reindeer, fish and other delicious things that the Arctic wildlife of Svalbard offers." This is not true. The food is Thai. (http://www.polarriggen.com/english/restaurant.html).
The breakfast is a steal. It costs 95 NOK pr/person, and consists mainly of bread, boiled eggs, cheese, to types of jam, some meat and orange juice and coffee. That is basically it. No cups were available and no milk. On pointing this out to the staff, the staff said that we had to find our own cups. Well, if I pay 95 NOK for some bread, I do not want to run around searching for clean cups. The breakfast is extremely expensive and extremely bad.
The rooms are small, but OK, even though the room had not been dusted for a while. But, we stayed there for 4 days and three showers did not have warm water at all, during our stay.
The service is not good and the customer is not always right. The Polarrigg tried to charge us for more breakfast than we actually had. Pointing this out, there were all sorts of "problems" and in stead of being humble and apologetic, the staff blamed others for the mistake and the whole thing took about an hour to get sort of sorted.
The Polarrigg also charge the same price for a double room and a room with one bed and a madrass on the floor.
As an Norwegian I am ashamed that The Polarrigg destroys the North Norwegian hospitality that I know so well. If I ever go back to Longyearbyen, I will rather pay more and stay at Radisson SAS Hotel or Rica Hotel Longyearbyen. At least breakfast is included and the quality is much much better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come join us up north at Mary-Ann`s Polarrigg, a somewhat different Hotel/Rig in Longyearbyen. Here at Mary-Ann`s we have a relaxed and homey environment that will suite everybody.Stay as the miners did back in the days in our authentic Miners Rig, or if you prefer Hotel standard you can try our Luxury Rig instead.In the day time we can assist in booking of trips from our local tour operators or if you just want a day of relaxation in our onsite spa that is also possible. For groups we can also offer a fully equipped conference room.In the evening you can try food from our delicious menu in our Vinterhagen Restaurant where we serve both Thai food and traditional Norwegian and Arctic food.Come join us for an experience of a lifetime here at Mary-Ann’s Polarrigg. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mary-Ann's Polarrigg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mary-Ann`s Polarrigg Hotel Longyearbyen
- Mary-Ann's Polarrigg Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen, Svalbard