“Left my heart in Longyearbyen”
Review of Basecamp Hotel

Basecamp Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Longyearbyen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Trapper's Hotel, Longyearbyen, is by far the most exotic, unique and vibrating place I've ever visited. The combination of a particularily knowledgeable staff, great atmosphere and stunningly authentic "trapper's lodge"-style rooms made my four days at Spitsbergen highly memorable. I stayed from 30 December until 3 January, and had the wonderful opportunity of experiencing an authentic Spitsbergian new years eve, in all its hospitality and joy, to which the Trapper's Hotel was a perfect backdrop. The hotel facilitates for and offers dog sledding, snowmobile trips and longer expeditions, and much more. Definitely the most yolo'ish hotel I've ever been to. Go and be thrilled!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 January 2014

The hotel was exactly how we imagined a perfect Svalbard hotel to be. Warm and cozy interiors, friendly staff and all day access to coffee.

We stayed in the suite, room 1, which has six beds in two rooms and a loft. None of the beds are double, but they are all fairly wide. The view was great and the hotel was a perfect base for snowmobile-, or dog sledding trips. Don't forget your drivers license if you're going snow mobiling!

The only thing that stuck out was the design of the bath rooms. With worn photo wallpaper these were a bit odd to the rest of the interior design. Having said that, the bathrooms were still clean and modern.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We got delayed on the way to Svalbard; had planned a couple activities and they were all flexible in moving the dates. But not this hotel - they were greedy and wanted full payment for all nights, no matter if we were there or not. Consider twice before booking Trappers hotel who stick to their very harsh rules.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Middelaged2013
BasecampSP, Manager at Basecamp Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Sir / Madam

We are really sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our service – especially when we actually are really flexible with our accommodation and trips. Up here on Spitsbergen there can be bad weather or you might get delayed flights and for any these types of reasons we will always arrange the trip in best possible way for our guests. Sometimes this means changing the dates and sometimes it means changing the activities but most of our customers are really happy with the flexibility we have. In this case I think it was not really clear why you wanted to change the dates for your holiday, and thus our receptionist had to stick to our general terms and conditions. We are really sorry that this caused you inconvenience.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed overnight on our way to the High Arctic. Basecamp Trapper's Hotel is really unique in that it is built of wood to resemble a trapper's hut. Inside it is very cosy decorated in an eclectic settlement style. The friendly staff aims to please. We arranged through the staff a dogsled ride followed by a dinner of reindeer stew served in a hut lighted by candles. Talk about Arctic atmosphere! Breakfast in the hotel dining room was excellent and varied. I think it is the perfect place to stay in Longyearbyen.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joan36806
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Wow, what an amazing little place. It was quite expensive, but so unique, it was worth every penny. The staff were delightful and very helpful. We had a large cabin at the end of the corridor which meant we had an amazing very of two glaciers from our sitting area (unfortunately, someone else is building alongside them soon and that perfect view will be lost), very sad. The restaurant that is joined to the hotel by a door (Kroa) was very good and it was wonderful to be able to go to dinner in your socks!! Loved it, loved it, loved it!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Trappers is a fun and welcoming place to stay in Svalbard. It's cosy and the free tea, coffee and chocolate available all day is a great great.

Trappers is attached to a great bar (kroa) that serves the cheapest beer in Norway and some traditional food, including Whale, Seal and Reindeer.

Yes it is expensive, the most expensive hotel we've stayed in at over £250 a night but its comparative to the rest of accommodation on Svalbard. We had a room on the ground floor next to the door which prompted worry about noise but no need. The rooms are small but cosy and the blackout blinds hide the midnight sun. Breakfast is amazing!

We went to Huset restaurant and did their tasting menu with wine menu which was excellent. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank FionaCHH
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This place is unique and very special! Although I am a stylish person (actually I was at the wrong destination up here so close to the North Pole, hehe but I was just curious to look around how things are here so far up north).
The interior of this hotel is VERY special and beautiful, if you are into woodden constructions. I loved it, and it fascinated me a lot... The lady at check in handed me over my room key, which was hang on a bone which you usually give to a dog ;-) Then she asked me kindly (in the lobby!!) to take off my shoes, because this is a policy of the hotel. Never did so before in all my life in a hotel lobby, but here it was great fun. The receptionist escorted me to my room number 4. It was veeeery beautiful in its woodden simplicity. Woodden floor. Woodden beds. Woodden walls. Woodden ceilings. It is VERY cosy in those rooms, and that is the way a stay should be in Longyearbyen! Special! Unique!
The lobby is very nicely done - simple but very tasteful! The ladies who are cleaning (the place is very well kept!) are from.... Thailand, and while they are cleaning they listen to soft Thai music. I loved that, it gives it a REAL cosmopolitan touch! Funny, isn't it? There is quite a large Thai community living im Svalbard... Bathrooms are small and basic, but with exciting photo wallpapers showing snow and ice scenes of the islands here! Well done!
Breakfast is served in a most charming room (also here a lot of wood around - very special, because here on the islands you can not even find one single tree...).
All in all it is rather a lodge than a hotel. It is simple, but very, very special. If I ever came back here I would not have to think even a minute where to stay. ONLY HERE! I loved it, it impressed me. It is not perfect, but gives you the best impression of what about life is here in the Arctic.
Central and very good location in the middle of Longyearbyen.
Prices are high, but that's Norway. And Svalbard is even much more expensive than Norway mainland...

Room Tip: I saw many rooms - they are all quite small but veeeeery special!