I stayed here for 2 nights in a single room before going on a cruise - I booked the guesthouse as it was the cheapest option available. The aiport bus dropped me off outside and it was a lovely view of a glacier and mountains. However, it was a 20 min walk to the centre of town and 30 min back as it was uphill on the way back. This is fine as long as you are aware.
Although I'd booked as a single, i was actually in a twin room so had plenty of room. The radiator for heating was very fast - I hadn't put it on on the first day but it didn't take long to heat the room up when I came back. The bed was comfy and obviously the room was quiet! One thing to remember is that you should take your shoes off in the doorway of the guesthouse, so having slippers to walk around in might help if you have a long stay.
The guesthouse had a large kitchen so I walked down to the supermarket and then used the kitchen to cook some of my meals. Breakfast was included in the price though and was fine - breads/toast, eggs, cereals and meats - but you had to leave your building to go to the main one for breakfast. The showers were clean and had hot water. I also booked an excursion through the reception which worked fine. There was a computer with internet connection you could use for free at reception. I would stay here again as the walking wasn't a problem for me, but a taxi costs a lot so stay in the town centre if you don't want to walk!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Coal Miners' Cabins offers reasonably priced accommodation, located in the upper part of the Longyear valley and within reach of mountains and glaciers. The place is an excellent starting point for hiking, skiing and snowmobile trips. Coal Miners' Cabins is the place to stay for those who want to get the real experience of the mining period on Svalbard. Coal Miners' Cabins is located in Nybyen, Longyearbyen's small "suburb" is within walking distance from downtown. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Coal Miners’ Cabins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spitsbergen Guesthouse Hotel Longyearbyen
- Coal Miners’ Cabins Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen, Svalbard