“Relatively reasonable in an expensive town”

Coal Miners’ Cabins
Ranked #2 of 4 Longyearbyen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 June 2013

4 star rating was given not for the luxury of the accommodations, but for the relative value for money in an extremely expensive town. Paying approximately half of what the cost was at Spitzbergen hotel, we had a clean room, great view (end of building one on second floor) and plentiful breakfast. Its a long pleasant walk into town with more energy needed coming back (uphill). We liked the historical aspect of the accommodations -- former coal mining barracks, and photos on the wall pictured times past when coal mining was king. yes, you do have to share the toilets/showers but there is a sink in each room. There was also cooking facilities and a common area for watching TV or reading if your spartan room got a little small.

Room Tip: Second floor in building 1 at the end of the hall.
2  Thank Margepurd

Reviewed 24 June 2013

First of all: do not look at the pictures in the websites, our room was completely different. It was poor, twins bed, no heavy curtains for protecting against the night light, very noisy (in front of the toilets, I could count how many people were visiting it per hour). Sometimes few expedients may improve a lot the final assessment. On the other side the place is clean and you can feel its past history (it was the house for the miners). So, I liked the atmosphere, but I would have expected some additional attentions to the guests.

4  Thank Erian
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Spitsbergen Guesthouse.The airport shuttle dropped us right at the doorstep for 60Nkr per person and picked us up at the reception to get to the airport. This is very convenient. There are several guesthouses. We stayed on the second floor of Guesthouse 1. We used the small kitchen with full facilities to cook instant noodles when we checked in at midnight. Our keys were left at the reception's mailbox as the reception building was closed. We took off our shoes whenever we entered any of the buildings. Free tea and coffee is available during the day when the reception building is open. Breakfast consist of a generous spread of freshly baked crusty bread with assortment of cold cuts, ham, cheese, sardines, pate, jams, cereals, yogurt, soft boiled eggs, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, beetroots, pears, milk, juice, coffee and tea. The bedroom and shared bathroom facilities are clean and comfortable. It is well maintained and cleaned daily. Towels and bedsheets are provided but you need to bring your own shampoo and toiletries. There is a sink in the room and ample shelf space to store your things. Curtains are thin so bring along eye shades to help you sleep during the 24 hours daylight. The reception has a PC connected to the internet. The reception staff are most helpful in printing our boarding passes. There is a notice on the board to inform you the shuttle bus timings. The lovely walk to town takes around 20 min, where you could get food from the only supermarket and access to restaurants. I had good meals at the Taste of Thai and Barentz Pub & Spiseri (Radisson Blu Polar Hotel) for 129 Nkr. There are several sports shops in town to enjoy tax free shopping to stock on the latest winter wear. Good view all around.

3  Thank WBin
Reviewed 12 May 2013

So, in a mild bout of unchecked insanity yet again, I had decided to go on an expedition to the geographic North Pole, called "The Last Degree" for charity. If you want to read about that, go here: www.facebook.com/s1edger. I had been training furiously and was pretty much exhausted before I even got there. Pulling 45kg sleds around London parks in skimpy Lycra will take it out of you. So I met my expedition leader and comrades at LHR and we took the SAS flight to Oslo and then a connecting flight to Longybearen/Svalbard. Try and get a window for the approach and you will witness a small portion of the icy majesty that is the "Arctic Circle". The airport itself is fairly basic and does not suffer from the same malaise as big airports tend to do ie we shot through security and collected our kit bags with relative ease. Exiting through the revolving door, the seriousness of my undertaking became very real as I was greeted with one of coldest icy blasts I have ever felt. And I speak as a Canuck who has endured 6 month Ontario winters. We stowed our gear in an SUV but 2 of us had to take the coach into central Longybearen. A former coal mining town with an extraordinary history of "man against the elements" both mineral and meteorological, I observed how the town was protected by high, snow capped, coal mountain ridges. There is literally one street that takes you through a series of low rise buildings of various purpose. We had arrived in the evening and it was getting dark. We stepped off the coach, again greeted by a dry cold that made you take things seriously. We stowed our gear in a storage facility and checked into the Spitsbergen Guesthouse. This is the perfect place for people who need "function" over "opulence". The kind of people who come here, if you permit me the slight generalisation, are those who are serious about their snow activities and are not too fussed about decor. The guesthouse comprises 3 or 4 residences plus a main canteen. I ended up in house 2 and it comprised 3 floors. A ground floor for storage of kit, the second floor comprised a kitchen, shared shower and toilet rooms, a TV lounge and an extremely warm laundry room (also for drying out kit). As you enter the building, you have to take off your boots. This applies to all residences. The building, despite, it's thin looking structure, is extremely warm. As I understand it, they use a coal furnace to shoot steam through pipes all the town. The town itself also has a backup generator with diesel fuel for 3 months. They take their heating here very seriously. The rooms themselves are functional and simple. The room is a reasonable size, the bed is comfortable and there is little that adorns the walls. Instead, you have a nicely sized window to gaze out at the white expanse and the bluest of skies. You do have power sockets for your gadgets. And there is wifi. There is a relaxed feel to the place, so much so, that the locals sometimes wander in and have an impromptu party in the kitchen or lounge. Fun, if you're up for drinking their choice of tipple (usually, industrial strength rocket fuel), not so fun if you're trying to get some shut eye. Stroll across the street and you enter the low rise canteen building where the reception is located. Here you can obtain information from the very friendly, efficient staff about what's going on. You can also buy necessary incidentals etc. If you need other stuff then it is a short cab ride into town or a 15-20 minute walk if you are feeling brave. Beyond reception are rows of tables and chairs and beyond that is the food station ie breakfast buffet. They serve all sorts. From cereals to cold meats and the usual assortment of juices and hot drinks. For the those craving a little luxury, there is even caviar for breakfast. In a tube. A word of warning, they serve in cartons, something that look like milk. Something Russian. It is some sort of curdled affair. Do not put this in your coffee. It renders your coffee into something similar to a biohazard normally seen in a hollywood movie...xas this trekker found out to his dismay. All in all, a great place for a base from which to launch your North Pole expedition or whatever you decide to do.
#Northwhat #North Pole

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank s1edge
Reviewed 19 April 2013

This is type of accomodation you need to get better experience of Spitsbergen. Not another usual luxury or business hotel.
It is located 2-3 km (20-30 min by foot) from town, but as most people come here for physical activities and nature it just add bit of it to your stay. Closer than town is famous restaurant and cafe Huset- just 10 min walk.
You live in rebuilt miners barracks. Rooms are very simple with just bed, 2 chairs, table and wardrobe. I didn't feel any need for TV or other amenities.
On 12 rooms here are 4 bathrooms with showers. I had to wait only once, when all were occupied.
In old canteen building is reception and breakfast room decorated with photos of days gone. Here you can use computer with internet access. Wi-fi costs NOK 75 for 24 hours.
Breakfast was simple but filling.
And personal is helpful with reservations for local attractions.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Ezis
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in a single room before going on a cruise - I booked the guesthouse as it was the cheapest option available. The aiport bus dropped me off outside and it was a lovely view of a glacier and mountains. However, it was a 20 min walk to the centre of town and 30 min back as it was uphill on the way back. This is fine as long as you are aware.
Although I'd booked as a single, i was actually in a twin room so had plenty of room. The radiator for heating was very fast - I hadn't put it on on the first day but it didn't take long to heat the room up when I came back. The bed was comfy and obviously the room was quiet! One thing to remember is that you should take your shoes off in the doorway of the guesthouse, so having slippers to walk around in might help if you have a long stay.
The guesthouse had a large kitchen so I walked down to the supermarket and then used the kitchen to cook some of my meals. Breakfast was included in the price though and was fine - breads/toast, eggs, cereals and meats - but you had to leave your building to go to the main one for breakfast. The showers were clean and had hot water. I also booked an excursion through the reception which worked fine. There was a computer with internet connection you could use for free at reception. I would stay here again as the walking wasn't a problem for me, but a taxi costs a lot so stay in the town centre if you don't want to walk!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
10  Thank tar56
Reviewed 17 August 2012

This is not really a cheap place. It's the cheapest in town but definitely not cheap. This is still 100 dollar per night hotel. Considering the quality of the hotel and room, I will not consider this place cheap.

I stayed in this hotel for a night because I needed a place while waiting for my early morning flight. The location of this hotel is ridiculous, at least 20 minutes to the town and you'd really have to do it to get some food. The hotel room was so basic and no en-suite bathroom.

So, I wouldn't recommend this hotel but probably this could be your money saving option for Longyearbyen stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo