4 star rating was given not for the luxury of the accommodations, but for the relative value for money in an extremely expensive town. Paying approximately half of what the cost was at Spitzbergen hotel, we had a clean room, great view (end of building one on second floor) and plentiful breakfast. Its a long pleasant walk into town with more energy needed coming back (uphill). We liked the historical aspect of the accommodations -- former coal mining barracks, and photos on the wall pictured times past when coal mining was king. yes, you do have to share the toilets/showers but there is a sink in each room. There was also cooking facilities and a common area for watching TV or reading if your spartan room got a little small.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Coal Miners' Cabins offers reasonably priced accommodation, located in the upper part of the Longyear valley and within reach of mountains and glaciers. The place is an excellent starting point for hiking, skiing and snowmobile trips. Coal Miners' Cabins is the place to stay for those who want to get the real experience of the mining period on Svalbard. Coal Miners' Cabins is located in Nybyen, Longyearbyen's small "suburb" is within walking distance from downtown. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Coal Miners’ Cabins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spitsbergen Guesthouse Hotel Longyearbyen
- Coal Miners’ Cabins Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen, Svalbard