My wife and I stayed here for one night before joining a G Adventures arctic cruise and found the rooms to be very clean and comfortable and the other guests very friendly. The shared bathrooms were not a problem as there were plenty of them and they too were kept spotlessly clean. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and the free tea/coffee and DIY waffles were much appreciated in such an expensive location (only available till reception closes in the evening). The kitchens in each block allow you to prepare a meal if you wish, with food brought with you or from the local supermarket. It is an easy 20 minute downhill walk into the town centre, such as it is, and we did it with our suitcases in about 40 minutes having a good look at other hotels etc on the way.
Breakfast is included and is not bad at all, with nice breads, cereals, yogurt, cold meats and cheeses, tea, coffee and fruit juices. For a very reasonable fee you can also make yourself a packed lunch and fill a flask with coffee.
I wouldn't say you need too much time in Longyearbyen but its nice to have a day before and/or after a cruise. We did the 2 hour taxi/minibus tour in the afternoon following our lunchtime arrival and it was very good (can be booked on line before you go). Finally, the trip from airport to guesthouse was easy, taking the airport bus which meets the incoming flights and drops at all the main accommodations (60 NOK each).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Coal Miners' Cabins offers reasonably priced accommodation, located in the upper part of the Longyear valley and within reach of mountains and glaciers. The place is an excellent starting point for hiking, skiing and snowmobile trips. Coal Miners' Cabins is the place to stay for those who want to get the real experience of the mining period on Svalbard. Coal Miners' Cabins is located in Nybyen, Longyearbyen's small "suburb" is within walking distance from downtown. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Coal Miners’ Cabins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spitsbergen Guesthouse Hotel Longyearbyen
- Coal Miners’ Cabins Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen, Svalbard