Stayed for 5 nights in May 2012. Rooms are pretty basic, had the usual bathroom test in figuring out, how to turn on the shower - once again I passed after a while. In May you have daylight 24 hours a day, but the curtains worked very well during nighttime, keeping the daylight out.
The breakfast is very, very good at Radisson Blu Polar! And the staff at the front desk are very helpful.
We had sun - and we had snow, quite windy and temperatures between - 7 and 0 in mid May.
Went for a dogsled ride for four hours, great fun! - and a long snow scooter trip to the russian settlement Barentsburg, quite an experience to end up in "Little Russia" after riding a couple of hours, when you are visiting the most northern part of Norway.
To or three days are more than enough in Svalbard - not much to do up there - besides snowscootering and dogsleding, and the main town of Longyearbyen has a population of around 1600 inhabitants, so in about two hours you have seen it all, including the shops.
Taxes are very low in Svalbard, so considering, that Norway usually are a very expensive country to visit, this is the cheapest part of Norway I ever visited, especially cigarettes an liquor are very cheap after Norwegian (Nordic) standards.
And remember gloves, huts and warm clothing. When you are doing the snowscootering and the dogsleding, the operators provide you with warm boots, clothes, gloves and huts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay at the world's northernmost full service hotel in the heart of Longyearbyen. From your table at Restaurant Nansen you can enjoy the panoramic view towards the majestic mountain Hiorthfjellet accompanied by an excellent Arctic menu and a good selection of wines. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Rezidor, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick and Cancelon so you can book your Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, Spitsbergen, Longyearbyen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, Spitsbergen, Longyearbyen Hotel Longyearbyen
- Radisson Longyearbyen
- Longyearbyen Radisson
- Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, Spitsbergen, Longyearbyen Svalbard