“Best view from a hotel restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, Spitsbergen, Longyearbyen

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, Spitsbergen, Longyearbyen
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Longyearbyen
Limassol
“Best view from a hotel restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

I visited Svalbard the previous summer time due to a programme I attended at the University Centre of Svalbard. I stayed there for 3 weeks and I have to say it was amazing. The hotel has excellent connections to the airport due to a bus that runs every time a flight takes-off or lands and Longyearbyen. The hotel is also located in the Town centre and near the University Centre which was perfect for me because I only needed 5 minutes walk from the hotel to the University and believe me even in summertime it can be very cold walking in Svalbard. The best thing of the hotel though is the restaurant they have. It is situated right opposite the fjord and due to the big windows they have you can see all the mountains across Isfjord. Of course the food was magnificent and I have to say the crab soup I had one night was really remarkable and will never forget it in my life. The staff are really helpful and speak excellent English like most people living at Longyearbyen. The only problem is that the prices are quite expensive but life in general in Svalbard is expensive so I guess it was not too bad for the Standards of the Island, since it is the most luxurious hotel present on the islands.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

Came back to the Radisson after six years. Had booked a double but for some reason, we were given a twin. When asked for a double, we were upgraded to a deluxe room which, the only deluxe thing about it I think was a bathrobe and a nespresso machine (2 capsules per day). Alas, the pipes kept on making noises throughout the night which kept us awake (They shifted and snapped, probably because of the tension). When I contacted reception the following morning, they knew about about the noises, said it could not be fixed that day and moved for the second time. Our third room was fine. While I do not expect everything to be perfect (The electricity went for 3 hours when there, no backup generators), why we were given that room (and a twin in the first place) is beyond me. It is not the level of service I would have expected from the world's more northern fully services hotel. Next time, I will be shopping around or renting an apartment.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

This is basic accommodation recycled from the Olympic games in Lillehammer and relocated to Longyearbyen . Room are clean but functional nothing special . Buffet breakfast nothing special but the bar is good place to have a drink and a snack. Only problem was everyone arrives at the same time on the same flight and goes at the same time. Had to wait for our room as not finished when we arrived mid afternoon. The sauna was out of action during our stay

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clarky57
Whaley Bridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012 via mobile

We checked in for one night at the Radison Blu, and also ate in the restaurant in the evening (see my review on Brasseri Nansan).

We were in room 217, a standard room, which proved to be both comfortable and adequate.

Pros: Location, nice and ample breakfast (stick to the Scandanavian dishes, avoid the cooked breakfast imo); strong coffee, very lovely lighting throughout the hotel, a lovely gift shop - I recommend the small glass polar bears. The staff at the hotel are absolutely lovely, and nothing was too much. We were also able to stay in our room for an additional hour as we had a two hour wait to catch the Flybussen back to Svalbard Airport.

Cons: The waste water pipe from our bath had a hole in it, and so the bathroom floor was soaked every time we took a shower (admittedly we did not complain about this, but did mention on check out); the shower head is very hard to fathom if you've never seen this type before, shower isn't really suitable for a shower, more for bathing, the amount of "point and click tourists" staying in the hotel - especially those who ignore the polite request to follow tradition and remove shoes at the door. Check in can become a bit of a free-for-all as people tend to arrive together on coaches at once, owing to the remote nature of Longyearbyen.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gari W
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

I stayed in one of the apartments on the separate building and felt that overall the hotel was quiet, relaxing, and warm.

It's situated in the center of town and within walking distance is the post office, numerous shops, and a few restaurants, including a grocery store!

The apartment has a kitchen and a refrigerator. Unfortunately, we bought Billy's frozen pizza from the grocery store to eat for dinner only to find out our room did not have an oven. Luckily, the front desk suggested we can ask their restaurant to heat the pizza for us and indeed they did (for free!) Overall I had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Watford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

I stayed in one of the apartments rather than an ordinary room; given they were the same price I thought I could make use of the cooking facilities to save a few pounds as I was there for two nights.

This was a positive for me given how expensive eating out in Longyearbyen can be, but the trade off appeared to have been the sleeping arrangements. The bedroom consists of a bunk bed, and that was it. No bedsit table, just a bunk bed, I did improvise and use a dining chair as a bedside table, but it wasn't ideal.

The living room did have a sofa bed which I didn't use, and perhaps should have, but for what they were they I did get two very good nights sleep. The apartment itself was spacious and clean, and apart from room service knocking on my door at 8am on the first morning, I was pretty happy.

The other slight obscurity about the apartments was their location. I believe the normal rooms are within the same building as the bar and restaurant, however the apartments are slightly off to the side. It's only a stones throw away, and in September the very short walk wasn't an issue, but in the middle of a freezing cold December day with snow blowing in all directions, this could be more of a problem.

The view out of my window was of a road. I'm pretty sure the hotel rooms overlooked the fjord, whereas the apartments were slightly set back. I didn't spend much time looking out of the window, but it would have been nice to overlook the fjord. I don't want to sound too critical of the room, it was okay, but nothing more. It's highly unlikely I will return to Longyearbyen, but in hindsight I wish I'd booked a room rather than an apartment, and would pass this advice onto anybody considering visiting.

Unfortunately I didn't eat in the restaurant to comment, but the breakfast was very good and the hotel also has a small pub/bar which sold decent 'pub' food (pizzas, burgers etc). The bar was quite had a friendly atmosphere, not too overcrowded, but not completely void of people either.

Having previously also stayed in the Spitsbergen Hotel which I was very impressed with, if I were to return to Longyearbyen I would probably opt for the Radisson Blu again, although taking the hotel room rather than the apartment. Longyearbyen isn't big, but it's on top of most of what there is to visit, the staff were friendly and service orientated, and it came off as a genuinely friendly place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Asker, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

We visted the radisson blu polar hotel for a long weekend trip to Svalbard. The bus from the airport brings you to the hotel (50 NOK per person each way). I have seen hotels with a higher maintance schedule, whoever the hotel is a nice hotel. The breakfast is good, but I do not feel it justifies the 4 stars... The room was clean, and the staff was service minded. Overall not the best hotel, but probably the best in Longyearbyen...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple