“Very Accommodating!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Longyearbyen
Alabama
“Very Accommodating!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We had a great view but some had a view of the parking lot berm. They stored our luggage while we waited for our Hurtigruten MS Fram tour to begin. They let us sit in the dining room while waiting before and after the cruise. Once again they stored again while waiting for our ride to the airport. I think they are missing out by not having snacks for sale...we creating would have bought them.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We didn't stay at this hotel, but had a good buffet lunch one Sunday. They offered a broad selection of food - salads, meat, vegetables, and desert. Friends also enjoyed the shops in the hotel and the selection of polar merchandise.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here as a special treat for myself to see in the New Year. I've been to Svalbard before, but never during 24 hour darkness. It's spooky and at the same time excellent, in a truly odd way.
If you want to feel like Amundsen or Scott of the (Ant)Arctic, this is the place to go. One of my favourite memories of being there is the sign inside the boot room: I won't spoil the surprise for when you go.

Room Tip: WiFi works occasionally, as does TV service. In -40 temperatures, getting out and about is something...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This may be the only place in town. Our reservations were part of a package along with a trip to Salvard. Everything in the room was adequate. The food was adequate. Take your own if you want decaf coffee, though, they don't have the stuff. They also only provide soap, no hand lotion or shampoo. Also no wash clothes so take your own if you want one of those. Also there is no help with your luggage and only stairs so be sure to request a room on level with reception if you need it. There are no black out curtains so the rooms are quite light all night: take your own sleep mask if you need it dark to sleep. However, the bed was good and the room warm enough. The staff is very pleasant. We stayed one night and had one dinner. The location is great, about 5 minutes to the airport by bus or taxi. The town is, as expected, tiny so everything is close and in walking distance. This hotel doesn't live up to the Radisson Blu name but then being in Longyearbyen, Svalbard is really what it is all about and it beats being in a tent.

Room Tip: Request to be on level with reception if you have mobility issues: no lift and no assistance with yo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Gold Coast
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel is I assume the largest in town located at the Fjord end of town adjacent to Spitzbergen Travel and near the excellent Svalbard Museum. Our room was on the 1st level, one level below the reception are. No lifts, no porters, no assistance. The room was large and well appointed though we had keep our curtains closed as we faced the front door of the hotel and the outdoor smoking area. The room was quite warm, the room aircon could not be adjusted. Toiletries were not provided but could be requested at reception. A bathmat for the shower/bath needed also to be requested. There are a number of eating options within the hotel but as this is Norway most are quite exorbitant. The Barentz Pub at the front of the hotel is the most reasonably priced. The breakfast had a good selection of both hot and cold selections. The breakfast room, which is also the main restaurant, has magnificent views over the Fjord and the surrounding mountains.

Room Tip: There are no lifts and no assistance is offerred with luggage so if you have heavy luggage avoid roo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Me and my best friend have spent 4 days and 3 nights in Longyearbyen. I knew little about the place, so I didn't come with any expectations. I like to start things with a blank card. Even if I wanted to be naughty and pick on something, I simply couldn't.
The location is amazing and as soon as you enter (we got there by 3am or so) you are welcomed with a professional and warm way by the reception. The check-in is kept simple, but factual. We met most of the receptionist and they are all great, but Sara goes over and beyond. We clicked instantly. I can say I felt like home.
Our room was a twin room, tidy, spacious enough. The beds are very comfortable. I usually have trouble falling asleep at new places, but I fell asleep instantly and woke up super-rested.
We went for breakfast, which consistently offered a wide selection of cold cuts, pastries, cheeses, eggs, muesli, etc. Tasty and fresh. Quick and smiley waitresses and self service.
Rumor has it that they will renovate the rooms soon, because they are dated. I think they serve their purpose and you are not coming to Svalbard to have long baths in marble and gold tubs nor ask for odd stuff.
Me and my friend were both happy with the dinner we chose at their restaurant. The bar next to the entrance is always buzzing and all bartenders are great at their job, making fantastic cocktails or help you out with this or that if you haven't planned ahead, like us. Many of the guests are travelling through, or have booked an excursion in advance, etc.
We would love to come back anytime. From the bottom of my heart I recommend this place to stay and feel good at.

Room Tip: If you explain what you prefer, I'm sure they will accommodate your needs just right. If they ha...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hotaru84
Bendigo, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I normally love Radisson hotels, but on this occasion I was very disappointed and certainly wished I had booked at the Hotel Longyearbyen. Our twin room turned out to be an 'apartment' in a building away from the main hotel and there was no lift to take us to the second floor -- with a lot of heavy bags. The first thing we saw when we opened the door were two bunks! (Too old for bunks). A trundle bed was later supplied. Other unsatisfactory facilities included curtains that in no way blocked out the midnight sun, a pokey bathroom and an overheated room. The staff explained that this annexe to the hotel was due to be renovated, but that didn't make us feel any better. The breakfast the following morning was fine, but the hotel was obviously very full because we were hard pressed to find a clean table. The reception staff were polite and apologetic and took account of our unhappiness and disappointment when the time came to pay the bill. Beautiful views, but all the views in the Arctic are beautiful!

Room Tip: Make sure you're booked in the main hotel rather than an apartment in the annexe.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Penelope C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longyearbyen
Svalbard Hotel
#1 of 6 in Longyearbyen
Barentsburg Hotel
Barentsburg Hotel
#1 of 2 in Barentsburg

Been to Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, Spitsbergen, Longyearbyen? Share your experiences!