“Remote but really?”

Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, Spitsbergen, Longyearbyen
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Longyearbyen
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were travelling to Longyearbyen to pick up a cruise and spent a night at the Radisson Blu in June. We arrived on the late flight and check in at 2.39am was OK and we quickly were able to get to our room for a much needed sleep.
The room was basic and quite small, we struggled to fit two bags in it. What really got me was the thin curtains which didn't block out any light and made sleeping difficult. Surely an investment in some thicker drapes would pay some dividend in the summer and also provide extra insulation in the colder months?
The rooms were warm and the beds were comfortable (perhaps we were just tired) so with masks we slept well. The water was hot in the morning but there was not much supplied in the way of toiletries. A bath mat would have been nice. I can understand that sacrifices need to be made due to the remote location but surely basics are not negotiable at this price.
Breakfast was quite good, a tasty selection of hot and cold dishes but the room was crowded and tables hard to come by. The wait staff were efficient and helpful and the view more than compensated for any clutter.
When we checked out after a mere 9 hours we felt that we didn't get a lot for the price but the Radisson is probably the best option in town.
A few simple touches would improve the experience; remote is not an excuse for some of the tired rooms and furnishings but good food and comfortable beds disguise some of the sins.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, Spitsbergen, Longyearbyen

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We had a great view but some had a view of the parking lot berm. They stored our luggage while we waited for our Hurtigruten MS Fram tour to begin. They let us sit in the dining room while waiting before and after the cruise. Once again they stored again while waiting for our ride to the airport. I think they are missing out by not having snacks for sale...we creating would have bought them.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We didn't stay at this hotel, but had a good buffet lunch one Sunday. They offered a broad selection of food - salads, meat, vegetables, and desert. Friends also enjoyed the shops in the hotel and the selection of polar merchandise.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here as a special treat for myself to see in the New Year. I've been to Svalbard before, but never during 24 hour darkness. It's spooky and at the same time excellent, in a truly odd way.
If you want to feel like Amundsen or Scott of the (Ant)Arctic, this is the place to go. One of my favourite memories of being there is the sign inside the boot room: I won't spoil the surprise for when you go.

Room Tip: WiFi works occasionally, as does TV service. In -40 temperatures, getting out and about is something...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This may be the only place in town. Our reservations were part of a package along with a trip to Salvard. Everything in the room was adequate. The food was adequate. Take your own if you want decaf coffee, though, they don't have the stuff. They also only provide soap, no hand lotion or shampoo. Also no wash clothes so take your own if you want one of those. Also there is no help with your luggage and only stairs so be sure to request a room on level with reception if you need it. There are no black out curtains so the rooms are quite light all night: take your own sleep mask if you need it dark to sleep. However, the bed was good and the room warm enough. The staff is very pleasant. We stayed one night and had one dinner. The location is great, about 5 minutes to the airport by bus or taxi. The town is, as expected, tiny so everything is close and in walking distance. This hotel doesn't live up to the Radisson Blu name but then being in Longyearbyen, Svalbard is really what it is all about and it beats being in a tent.

Room Tip: Request to be on level with reception if you have mobility issues: no lift and no assistance with yo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel is I assume the largest in town located at the Fjord end of town adjacent to Spitzbergen Travel and near the excellent Svalbard Museum. Our room was on the 1st level, one level below the reception are. No lifts, no porters, no assistance. The room was large and well appointed though we had keep our curtains closed as we faced the front door of the hotel and the outdoor smoking area. The room was quite warm, the room aircon could not be adjusted. Toiletries were not provided but could be requested at reception. A bathmat for the shower/bath needed also to be requested. There are a number of eating options within the hotel but as this is Norway most are quite exorbitant. The Barentz Pub at the front of the hotel is the most reasonably priced. The breakfast had a good selection of both hot and cold selections. The breakfast room, which is also the main restaurant, has magnificent views over the Fjord and the surrounding mountains.

Room Tip: There are no lifts and no assistance is offerred with luggage so if you have heavy luggage avoid roo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Me and my best friend have spent 4 days and 3 nights in Longyearbyen. I knew little about the place, so I didn't come with any expectations. I like to start things with a blank card. Even if I wanted to be naughty and pick on something, I simply couldn't.
The location is amazing and as soon as you enter (we got there by 3am or so) you are welcomed with a professional and warm way by the reception. The check-in is kept simple, but factual. We met most of the receptionist and they are all great, but Sara goes over and beyond. We clicked instantly. I can say I felt like home.
Our room was a twin room, tidy, spacious enough. The beds are very comfortable. I usually have trouble falling asleep at new places, but I fell asleep instantly and woke up super-rested.
We went for breakfast, which consistently offered a wide selection of cold cuts, pastries, cheeses, eggs, muesli, etc. Tasty and fresh. Quick and smiley waitresses and self service.
Rumor has it that they will renovate the rooms soon, because they are dated. I think they serve their purpose and you are not coming to Svalbard to have long baths in marble and gold tubs nor ask for odd stuff.
Me and my friend were both happy with the dinner we chose at their restaurant. The bar next to the entrance is always buzzing and all bartenders are great at their job, making fantastic cocktails or help you out with this or that if you haven't planned ahead, like us. Many of the guests are travelling through, or have booked an excursion in advance, etc.
We would love to come back anytime. From the bottom of my heart I recommend this place to stay and feel good at.

Room Tip: If you explain what you prefer, I'm sure they will accommodate your needs just right. If they ha...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends