We were travelling to Longyearbyen to pick up a cruise and spent a night at the Radisson Blu in June. We arrived on the late flight and check in at 2.39am was OK and we quickly were able to get to our room for a much needed sleep.
The room was basic and quite small, we struggled to fit two bags in it. What really got me was the thin curtains which didn't block out any light and made sleeping difficult. Surely an investment in some thicker drapes would pay some dividend in the summer and also provide extra insulation in the colder months?
The rooms were warm and the beds were comfortable (perhaps we were just tired) so with masks we slept well. The water was hot in the morning but there was not much supplied in the way of toiletries. A bath mat would have been nice. I can understand that sacrifices need to be made due to the remote location but surely basics are not negotiable at this price.
Breakfast was quite good, a tasty selection of hot and cold dishes but the room was crowded and tables hard to come by. The wait staff were efficient and helpful and the view more than compensated for any clutter.
When we checked out after a mere 9 hours we felt that we didn't get a lot for the price but the Radisson is probably the best option in town.
A few simple touches would improve the experience; remote is not an excuse for some of the tired rooms and furnishings but good food and comfortable beds disguise some of the sins.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay at the world's northernmost full service hotel in the heart of Longyearbyen. From your table at Restaurant Nansen you can enjoy the panoramic view towards the majestic mountain Hiorthfjellet accompanied by an excellent Arctic menu and a good selection of wines. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Rezidor, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda and Cancelon so you can book your Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, Spitsbergen, Longyearbyen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, Spitsbergen, Longyearbyen Hotel Longyearbyen
- Radisson Longyearbyen
- Longyearbyen Radisson
- Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, Spitsbergen, Longyearbyen Svalbard