“Top Notch Nosh”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Biggleswade
Stratton House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Biggleswade
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We have had breakfast and lunch at the Stratton House which were pretty good, so we decided on having dinner there after work on a weekday. We were not disappointed. If you want to be pedantic, it's not the most varied menu, but the portions are borderline gargantuan and cooked to absolute perfection. The wine list is again not vast but should satisfy all except the most discerning of wine buffs and I can assure you the beer is excellent - on the night from Lacon's, the newly re-opened Yarmouth brewer - and it was served without the often proffered head like the Elephant Man.
Not the most intimate venue and the music on the night was a little loud, but don't let that put you off. All up a very, very good night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Chris B

Reviewed 21 September 2013

My daughter was married in Biggleswade and we spent a week at the Stratton House with my other daughter and granddaughter. My sister and niece and her husband also stayed a few days. We found it to be welcoming and homey. The staff went out of their way to accommodate our needs. The rooms were clean and well kept. We had the two rooms on the top floor. The bathroom water was extremely hot but signs to warn us. No shower but it made me appreciate the comfort of relaxing in the tub and there was a sprayer. Coffee provided in the room and ironing board and iron in the hall. The bed was extremely comfortable, my daughter thought hers was a bit too firm. The decor was charming. It includes a full English breakfast with a variety of choices.the food was very good! Try the vegetarian breakfast the mushrooms and tomatoes fresh and eggs cooked perfect. Dinners were good food a little different than we are use to but good. Dining room is large and comfortable and decorated well. The window tables look out over the charming village. Close to center of town there are some fun and interesting shops there. A pub on every corner, but we spent most evenings in the Stratton house pub, the bartenders and waitress were all young and a fun group, very professional and patron oriented.

Room Tip: Single room is quite small as my sister had one, spend a few extra pounds for a double. Upper floor...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank PattyKelley71
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel on the night of 13th July 2013 with my elderly parents. I am 55 and my parents are 90(!) and 83 respectively. We did not particularly choose the hotel, but we had been invited to a dinner there that evening and I decided that it would be better to stay the night than drive some 50 miles home after the dinner.

It was a very hot night and there is no air - con. Fans were provided in the rooms but these did not compensate for the poor ventilation. My parents' double room was at the back or side of the hotel and was attractive and well appointed, also quiet. However, there were steep stairs up to it and there is no lift.

My (single) room was appalling. It was either number 11 or 20, can't remember which was which, but it was AWFUL. Overpriced, spartan, cramped, dated, depressing. The bed was quite comfortable and the wi-fi worked well, which was just as well, as the racket from the street below continued well into the night. The terrace in front of the hotel is obviously the meeting point for all the local revellers on aa Saturday night. The room was like an airless cell. The shower was just a dribble aand the shower gel dispenser was so high up the wall that I could not reach it at all. I aam only 5' 2" - but hardly a midget!

Ther was no chair in the room - just a ricketty stool and the desk area was just about big enough for the (dated) TV and tea and coffee tray. It would be no good for a business traveller - I had to lie on the bed to use my laptop. The "bedside" lamp was so high above the bed that it couldn't be reached from the pillow. I consider that this could be dangerous in an emergency....

HOWEVER.....

The food was good, the dining room very pleasant and the cooked breakfast was superb and very copious. I could not fault the staff, who were polite, friendly and helpful. The youngsters working in the dining room haave impeccable manners and have been very well traained in every aspect of customer care.

This has the potential to be a good hotel, but for heaven's sake, upgrade the grotty rooms before they lose you any more business. The public areas are fine and the staff are brilliant. Shame about my overpriced cell!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid single rooms. Ask to see the room before you commit, if at all possible.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Janet H
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Recently stayed here for a week for work and requested prior to arrival that I have a quite room which was supplied. The staff were always helpful and even ensured that the cleaning staff found a lost earing. The food was nice and always well cooked, ate in here most nights and every morning. I think it was good value for money and would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: The rooms on the third floor are quite but don't request them if you are over 6ft tall.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
8  Thank Sue J
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed at the hotel on our way to the bird of prey center, we were charged £85.00 for a twin room that had not changed since the 80s.
The head board is a sheet of veneered chip board screwed on to the wall, only one bed side table, no bed side light, one chair and no air con.
The bath room is a joke as the loo is so close to the wash hand basin that you have to stand side way in order to use the basin.
No double glazing, so lots of street noise, you can hear people waking above and in the corridor and I could go on and on, the decor is that of a guest house of the early 1980s it should be a lot better for £85.00 a night.
Bar staff very friendly, did not use the restaurant.

Will not repeat the experience.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in Room 10
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Just stayed for one night, not been before but needed somewhere near Bird of Prey Centre. Initial reaction very disappointed with room! Very basic. Would have liked to walk in and say 'Oh this is lovely, very nice' but sadly that was not our first thoughts. We came out with 'oh dear a bit drab and feels very basic, glad it is only for one night, guess it is too late to look for something else!''. Decor very tired as was all upstairs corridors. Could do with a refurb, walls, carpets, curtains headboard could all do with refreshing and lightening up. Old fashioned basic dark wood furniture added to the energy draining feel. Television basic with a wire up to indoor aerial on top of wardrobe, but it did work, although not the sharpest of pictures! Did not look like photos on website. Bathroom basic and the room we were in required you to position yourself at an angle to use the wash hand basin as the toilet was so close. Downstairs bar area looked much fresher and welcoming. Breakfast was basic with only a choice of cornflakes or bran flakes and orange juice for those who do not want cooked or hot. There was a full choice on the menu of eggs bacon etc but perhaps some fruit, yogurts etc might have been welcome for those who enjoy a lighter option. The staff were all very pleasant and for a basic stop OK.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jayne M
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I recently stayed here on a business trip and found it beat my expectations. Before booking my room I had regular email contact with one of the staff members asking if they would be able to meet my dietary needs, which they said they could, also I asked for a bath and a single room. Everything I had asked for was delivered and I was extremely happy with the stay. The service/staff at the hotel was exceptional, before and during my stay, my room was clean and tidy, the breakfast was lovely and I was very happy staying here. I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: The rooms at the top are nice and big but there was some noise from the pub across the road, but thi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank Melissa M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Biggleswade
The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf
#1 of 1 in Stanford
Redwings Lodge Baldock
Redwings Lodge Baldock
#2 of 4 in Baldock

Been to Stratton House Hotel? Share your experiences!