“Lovely stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Biggleswade
Stratton House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Biggleswade
Preston, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed 11 September 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights whilst in Biggleswade on business and was very impressed.
The room was quiet, spotlessly clean and well equipped with good sized wardrobe, plenty of drawers, tea / coffee making facilities and an ensuite bathroom with shower, basin and toilet. (My only quibble was the lack of a bath)
The room had TV with freeview and there was free wi-fi internet with an adequate speed.

The hotel has private car parking and during my 3 days stay, I had no trouble finding a place every evening.

The cooked breakfast was excellent and had good quality bacon, sausages and black pudding. Add to this, eggs (cooked as you like them), mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, hash brown, fried bread, toast, butter (not marg), cereals, juice and coffee and you have more than you need for the rest of the day.

Evening meals could be taken in the bar area or dining room and judging from my stay were well above the standard often served in pubs. (The fish and chips were particularly good, with a large fresh fillet of cod and home made (not frozen) chips)

The bar area is very nice with a mixed crowd of locals and residents. Unobtrusive background music, no blaring TV sets, a separate pool area and smoking area outside.

The bar is well stocked and has a good selection of local / national real ales, blissfully served at the right temperature (Ie not sub zero). No wonder it has won awards from CAMRA.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
8 Thank sowie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Biggleswade
Reviewed 6 September 2009

For a great night out, get down to Stratton House Hotel. Good selection of real ales and a relaxed atmosphere. Great food, best in town by far.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank Beau59
RIngwood, Hants.
Reviewed 23 August 2009

We booked this hotel because we were going to see the Shuttleworth collection concert air show, which was wonderful, by the way.

We left the hotel with very mixed feelings. When we arrived, there was no-one on reception, and it took several spates of ringing and a determined walkabout to get any assistance. The room was clean but basic, with a plastic shower that was fixed and too short for me at 5' 8, let alone my 6'2 husband, there wasn't any ordinary coffee, only decaffeinated. However, the room was light, large and adequate.

The dining room was quite pleasant. The menu was ok, with items like roast pork, rissotto, pasta, fish and chips, steak. I didn't see one item that I don't cook at home. However, when it came, we were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the cooking, for example, my mushroom risotto had a medley of different mushrooms and a lovely salad with it.

In the morning, when we went in to breakfast, not one free table was laid up, and all were covered with dirty plates where people had been eating. It took a couple of minutes standing there before we just sat at a table,and eventually someone came to serve us. We were half way through our cereals when another waitress asked us to move - we didn't, but another poor man who was asked at the same time obliged, and went mid mouthful, trailing his coffee pot, cereal et al. I couldn't see any reason for the move beyond everyone beeing crammed into a tiny section of the smallish dining room. However, when asked for more coffee (the coffee brought to us was stone cold), the staff were incredibly pleasant and helpful, and then only brought hot milk for one. It could be that they were unusually busy with the air show and couldn't cope with the numbers, but I get the general feeling that no-one is in charge and that the staff havn't been trained at all, which is a shame because they were all lovely. The breakfast was hot, plentiful and well cooked.

We too couldn't park in the car park, but parked in the short stay park literally adjoining the hotel. One staff member said that she's been working six years with all the staff park there until 2 or 3 in the morning sometimes, without ever having been fined or locked in. We were fine.

Looking round Biggleswade, I should say that this is probably the best hotel there, and maybe I am expecting too much of a reasonable hotel, but we won't be going back.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 12 July 2009

We stayed her for one night for a birthday celebration. Previously we stayed at the nearby Crown Hotel (see seperate review) and I can safely say the Stratton House knocks spots off of it. Very friendly staff who made check in and check out effortless. There is a lovely bar area complete with an aray of Real Ales, the bar staff are very helpful and friendly. After normal trading hours the bar is closed to the public, yet remains open for hotel guests should you desire "afters". Rooms are newly refurbished and modern, and a nice bathroom complete with shower.
We didn't eat at the hotel and therefore cannot comment on the food.

Should we be in the area again, this is where we'll stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SoulfulMinx
UK
Reviewed 7 June 2009

We were booked to stay at the Crown Hotel down the road, but after some farcical service there, we decided to stay at Stratton House instead (see my separate review of the Crown).

The rooms at Stratton House were great, the staff very friendly, and the food was lovely. The breakfast (included in the price) was particularly nice (and large).

I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank UkMmm
UK
Reviewed 11 May 2009

This has to be one of the most helpful hotels I know. I stayed a couple of times recently whilst sorting out a funeral, accompanied by variable numbers of family members with awkward dietary needs and needing to be fed at odd times to fit in with trains, etc. Kim and her staff could not have made us feel more welcome, with a genuine concern that made a horrible time a lot easier.

With very little notice the kitchen staff laid on some of the best gluten-free and vegan food my lot can remember having at a hotel and all with no fuss. Somehow they had even managed to pop out and buy dairy-free margarine in time for breakfast. My family can be a pain to feed at the best of times and I am grateful that the Stratton House looked after us so well.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
6 Thank buildmonkey
London
Reviewed 9 March 2009

This is a pub/restaurant/hotel that is very good in all areas. Real ale is available at the bar and the food is of a good standard for such establishments. The rooms are comfortable and well maintained. It isn't cheap but the accomodation is very good.

My only complaint would be that the car park is a little but small but you should be able to find alternative parking enarby if that is a problem.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank LondonDaveB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Biggleswade
Days Inn Stevenage North
#4 of 4 in Baldock
The Green Man
The Green Man
#1 of 1 in Stanford

Been to Stratton House Hotel? Share your experiences!