“Food in cafe too expensive”
Review of Jordans Mill

Jordans Mill
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Jordans Mill is a new venue with Cafe, Historic Water Mill, Landscaped Gardens, Shop and Conference Facilities located just outside Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. It offers freshly made locally sourced food, Informative tours of the historic mill and gardens and a sunny decked verandah overlooking the Ivel River.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Lovely to sit in the sun on the terrace today, and the cheese scone I had with my soup was lovely, although I couldn't spot any sign of a lentil in my tomato and lentil soup. I had been planning to have a baked potato but was put off by the cost at something like £6.50 for a basic potato with one filling - to make matters worse the prices of potatoes, salad etc weren't advertised so you had to ask how much anything was and it was all a bit difficult working out what food was going to cost. Somehow there is an overall feeling of motorway service station to my mind. This is potentially a really nice place, but somehow it all smacks a bit too much of commercialism and you get the feeling that perhaps the main goal behind the new set-up is more profit than conservation. I hope that I'm wrong as they obviously have a good opportunity to create a really nice place to visit in this area.

Visited today with family but no children or teenagers. This review only relates to the cafe, but it's also possible to visit the mill and gardens.

1  Thank GillycatBedford
Toby F, Manager at Jordans Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review after visiting.
I am sorry that you feel that we are overpriced. We are not a profit making venture and any profits are directly ploughed back into making the experience here better.
We source all of our ingredients from as locally as possible. Our potatoes were from the field opposite until we went through them all and are now sourced from eight miles away. Similarly all of our meats are from Woburn Country foods, an award winning local supplier, with no meats used from further than fifty miles away.
The cost for fresh locally sourced food is more than the, often imported, mass produced frozen ingredients, but worth it for taste as well as social responsibility.
Looking at our prices in comparison to other local eateries, we are not very different, so I am sorry that you feel otherwise.

You are quite right to comment on our signage in the servery, and this is something that we are looking at as a matter of urgency. We have a new till and coffee machine opening in the next month and are trying to refresh all of the signage to help with this change.

I do hope that you will try us again, and would hope that our signage and food is more to your liking. Do let us know if you try us again as I would hope that we are making changes to make everyone's experience here as good as we can.

All reviews
"sunny day"
in 12 reviews
"lovely place to visit"

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Recently I visited Jordan`s mill along with my mum and sister for afternoon tea . I was a bit apprehensive at first after reading a few reviews on trip advisor so I contacted the mill directly. I had a rapid response from Toby who replied to all of my emails and put my mind at ease. On the day, the sandwiches were first class, fresh bread and plenty of filling. The scones were gorgeous and there was clotted cream, butter and jam plus a choice of a further cake. The staff were friendly, the café was clean and the environment was nice. My groupon voucher was certainly a bargain. We also went around the garden, which in a few weeks time will be in full bloom,but it was nice to see how it was being created. We then visited the exhibition room and it is very informative and well thought out. Next time we will do the tour of the mill. Overall, well done Toby and all of your staff.

Toby F, Manager at Jordans Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you very much for your review of your trip here to Jordans Mill. I remember your emails and am really glad that you had a nice time in the cafe and also around the new gardens.
We have just celebrated our first birthday as a new attraction and hope to see you again as the gardens develop. We are adding more and more things to see and do here all the time, so hope that you will enjoy them with us as the summer goes on! We are also about to start our later opening days, beginning on the last Thursday of every month from May onwards. You will then have until 9pm to enjoy the gardens and get on one of our guided tours!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Visited here Easter Monday with family. Sunny day, so sat on patio for lunch. Long queue but served very quick. Had sandwiches and cream tea with drinks, all very nice. View is lovely looking down on river running by and trees and shrubs everywhere. Will visit again and recommend it, suitable for all ages, for a relaxing enjoyable afternoon.

Toby F, Manager at Jordans Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review your trip here on Easter Monday.
Our new gardens have quickly become very popular, and the decking is the perfect place to let the world drift past.
We have lots more developments coming on, so I hope that you will come back to see us over the summer and enjoy another afternoon overlooking the beautiful river Ivel!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I felt I had to leave a positive review after seeing some of the more negative ones on here. I've been twice, both times using a groupon voucher and both experiences were great, my friends who I treated loved it. You have to take this place for what it is, a lovely riverside location where you can have a lovely simple afternoon tea of some great looking lunch, I am yet to sample lunch as I had afternoon tea both time but am sure to head back soon as the lunches look delicious!
If you are looking for a fancy afternoon tea, look elsewhere but if you want quality homemade food and value for money look no further. I had a sandwich, a scone with jam and clotted cream and a slice of cake of my pick and it was all yummy!
The staff were helpful, friendly and very welcoming, nothing was too much trouble and on my second visit it was really busy but they coped.
To anyone who has left a bad review, I am not sure what you were looking for here and what there was not to like. Personally, I can't recommend it enough and am looking forward to a return trip.

1  Thank Katie D
Toby F, Manager at Jordans Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for your lovely review after a couple of visits here to the mill. I'm really glad that you recognise what we are trying to achieve here with all of our holme-made fare!
It is very easy to write about a disappointing trip, and we can be very busy, so I take all criticism as a way to improve all that we can here. But absolutely thank you for 'setting the record straight' and balancing the dissafected!
We just passed our first anniversary being open, and comments like you make do make all the time and efforts getting started worthwhile, so am glad that you have taken the time to write in.
I hope you enjoy coming here again and would definitely recommend the locally sourced and freshly made food... I'm off for a Lamb tajine with jewelled couscous now as all this talk of food has made me rather hungry and it looks very good on the servery today!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Love dropping in to sit by the river in the sun but fear this place is becoming the victim of its own success. I hae a vegetarian salad for lunch and it contained a bit of coyscous a lot of lettuce and cucumber. Tiny piece of tomato and I think a mini mushroom. The cost was just under £6. Not good value for money. Also there is only one till, so when busy is long queue. Jordans you need to sort this out.

I'm glad that you enjoy coming over to the mill, and really sorry that you did not have such a good salad last time. I've actually been speaking to a new chef who is interested in making the salad bar a more inviting and varied option for people as the summer gets nearer.
We also have the second till nearly ready to go and this will help on those days that we are really busy.
I hope that you will come again and see the salad selection and am sure that you will find the selection better in content, and therefore value!