I sent this to the property owner a week ago, thinking that my constructive comments might have evoked a reply. Alas he doesn't appear to like criticism.
It's a well appointed holiday let, bar the problems I highlight below, but it's not a five star hotel or anything near a three star. Everything is clean and as you would expect, bathroom immaculate apart from the Jacuzzi stinking. Heating was poor, and for the faint hearted sometimes of the year I suspect you are all alone in the hall. Locals told me he has been trying to sell some of the apartments but they have been to view them and consider them overpriced.
Nevertheless we enjoyed our stay. Would I go back. Definately a NO here. It's just not quite as we would have liked and the lack of response from the owners did the trick for me. Tell them it's great and they love you say it as you find it and they ignore you and think you are another ill informed tourist Believe me I have stayed length and breadth of the world and this place is a good let, but could do better. Read the letter I sent to the owner, below.
Thank you for the past three days we found the accommodation to be very comfortable. It is without doubt the best self catering we have ever stopped at over the past 40 years and you are to be proud of that. It is certainly a 5 star holiday self catering let.
My wife and I both enjoyed our stay in the well equipped apartment. Thank you for the prompt attention to the electrical fault. Apparently all the locals were informed that the power would be off from around 9.30 and back on by mid afternoon. We met a couple of locals walking in the grounds who informed us of this fact.
On the down side:
We found the apartment to be rather cold at night, in fact my wife was cold every night. The night storage heaters were largely cold after 6.00 pm.
The Jacuzzi gave of a most disgusting smell of foul drain water when we used it once, so much so that we turned it off and took a much cleansing shower to remove the awful smell.........it looks as though foul water is remaining in the pumps, also the water coming up was grey black, not very nice!!
The fire alarm beeped almost all night perhaps indicative of a battery change.
The luxury gowns did not fit either myself or my wife. She is standard size 12 and I am only medium sized chest!!
When I emptied the bins, using the plastic bags you provided I noted that somebody had not done this and the dustbins had loose foul smelling rubbish in there. It could not have been foxes as the bin lid was on tight. I hope you don't think this was me, as we are most particular of wrapping all waste for the bins and recycling bottles etc.
We left the accommodation as we found it, which was in a most acceptable state. Thank you for the tea tray and milk you left us it was a most welcome gesture.
I hope you find the above comments useful and as you say in the brochure if we find anything not quite to our liking we should tell you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Staffield Hall is located in the Eden Valley in Cumbria just outside the boundary of the Lake District National Park. We have easy access to the M6 motorway and to the north Lakes of the LAke district.Staffield hall was completely refurbished in 2006 to provide eight 5 beautiful apartments which are graded 5 stars by Visit Britain.The apartments are designed to mix the traditional features of a yester year with contempory and modern comfort and style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Staffield Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Staffield Hall Kirkoswald, Cumbria
- Staffield Hall Hotel Kirkoswald