“Aston-ishingly good weekend!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newton Aycliffe
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Aston-ishingly good weekend!”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My partner & I booked to stay 2 nights over my birthday weekend using a buyagift.com voucher which included breakfast, we picked the Aston as the best of a reasonable bunch of hotels in the area we wanted to visit. Having read some of the previous reviews we were prepared for disappointment but hopeful that we'd still have a good time. We owe the Aston team an apology for ever doubting them. The hotel is less than a minute from the A1M but you wouldn't know it was there, our room backed on to the road and we couldn't hear a thing day or night! The double room, number 10 on the ground floor, was warm, spotlessly clean and had a king size bed as standard.
The bathroom was also immaculate with 1 large towel and 2 small to hand plus another large towel in the wardrobe along with 2 spare pillows. The hot water was plentiful and easily adjusted so after using the free gym facilities I could scrub my sweaty bits for as long as I wanted! The gym had a good choice of equipment with plenty of space to use it and everything was in full working order.
We had breakfast both mornings, consisting of hot & cold buffet, there was a very good selection of both hot & cold food, all well cooked and or presented despite a large coach party being present and ravenous on the first morning.
The staff were friendly, helpful but not false or intrusive. I particularly liked Catherine on reception who's smile was ever present :) All in all a brilliant weekend away and we'll stay at the Aston again next time we venture Ooooop north!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
patmacinnes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We are so pleased that you chose to come to the hotel and that you enjoyed your stay. We are very proud to say that the hotel has a 90% improvement rating on the site. Your comments are very important to us and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

The interior of this hotel is superbly contemporary and very elegant. Our (superior) room on the ground floor was very spacious, quiet and comfortable. Evening meal was very nice and there is a good wine list. Breakfast too was very good, but although we were there a few minutes after opening time the food was not really hot, which was a shame. However, I would stay there again any time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We have taken on board your feedback regarding the breakfast. Many thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner decided last minute to have a night away in a hotel, we chose the Aston as wed stayed before and it was quite dated however clean. The room was advertised at £29.

We had been given a newly decorated room on the bottom floor, it had a kingsize bed as standard (not two beds pushed together.) flat screen tv, brand new modern bathroom and decor.

The room was absolutely immaculate! I find myself looking for dirt in hotels but nothing at all could be found.

Staff are extremely helpful and friendly and I would definitely recommend a stay in the newly decorated bottom floor!

• Stayed February 2014
patmacinnes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for your review. It is so nice to hear from guests that have stayed before and after our extensive refurbishment. It is lovely to hear that all of the hard work that has gone into the facelift has been worthwhile and that most importantly the guests are happy with what we have done. We all look forward to welcoming you back.
Ashington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife and myself were looking forward to a long awaited weekend break courtesy of a Travelzoo offer. After reading previous reviews we thought we were in for a nice weekend. Wrong!

We were given a room on the 1st floor which was clean & spacious enough, but only a single bath towel and no bath. We asked for a second bath towel. Went down for an evening meal and again requested a second bath towel. The bar/restaurant is clinical without atmosphere and the waitresses were similar.

No self-respecting chef would have served the shoulder of lamb my wife received without providing the necessary Black & Decker power tools to cut through the meat. It was tough as old boots. The vegetable side dish was stone cold.

On our way back to the room we again enquired about the second bath towel with promises that "one will be sent up straight away".

On our way to breakfast the next morning further enquiries were made as to the whereabouts of the second bath towel. "I'll have one delivered immediately sir" now adding some extra urgency to the matter.

Breakfast itself consisted of a reasonable selection of fresh fruit, cereal and full English breakfast - all of which were as cold as each other. Even the served coffee was just tepid.

A final en-suite inspection after breakfast revealed no second bath towel had been provided immediately or otherwise. This confirmed our decision not to bother with the second night.

Polite enquiries as to why we were checking out early were met with "well I did ask for a towel to be delivered sir" and "we normally have a good reputation for food" neither of which were satisfactory so we checked out anyway with a promise from the receptionist that the Manager would be informed and would contact us later that day - needless to say the Manager is still looking for the second bath towel!

Maybe standards will be improved once Holiday Inn take over - but whatever happens we won't be returning. Now then, where is Basil's telephone number?

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. Firstly please let me apologise for the issues you had while staying for the weekend at the hotel. I have spoken to chef regarding the lamb dish you had and he asked me to pass on his apologies for your dissatisfaction. We genuinely do not get comments such as this regarding our food and I hope that you accept that we have taken this on board in order to improve our service. I am at a loss as to why you did not receive your extra towel, this is a very basic request for us to fulfil. When I asked the members of staff on duty why this had not happened they have stated that your room number was taken down incorrectly. Frankly this is not good enough from our point of view and we have undertaken retraining to avoid this issue happening to another guest. Unfortunately I was out of the office during your stay and did not get an opportunity to speak to you regarding the issues that you had. I would very much like to reassure you that these are not the standards that we aspire to within the hotel and that our normal level of service is much higher. If you would like to speak to me regarding the problems that arose, please feel free to contact me on 01325 329 600 or on patriciam@astonhotels.co.uk. Once again on behalf of the team please accept our sincerest apologies.
england
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed 1 night with a coach party. We were in room 201 near the lift. Room was clean and tidy, bathroom also clean. The room was freezing and so was the bathroom.I left my coat on until the receptionist came to try and sort it out. She managed to put the towel rail on and so the bathroom was the warmest place! We went for dinner and the receptionist said there would be a portable heater in the room.She kept her word however we were ready for bed then and the room was just warming up. Dinner was fine average fare but staff were attentive and nothing was too much trouble for them.Portions were a wee bit stingy, 2 slivers of butter for 4 people but more arrived when we asked. Breakfast was lovely.
The lift was out of order when we left and meant a wheelchair user had to be manhandled down the stairs, very bad and embarassing for the lady concerned. Should there not be an evac chair available and a staff member who was experienced in its use? I thought this was a basic safety requirement.

Room Tip: room at the back ovelooking fields not the A1.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. Please accept my sincerest apologies with the fact that the lift was out of order. This was an unavoidable maintenance issue and was dealt with as soon as possible. Thank you for your comments regarding the evacuation chair, having an evacuation chair on site is not a legal requirement. Regardless following your comments we will look into the future purchase of one of these. I am sure that you will understand that it was not our intention to embarrass the lady in question. We did not have any feedback from the lady herself as to the fact that this was the case, so thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. We are committed to ensuring that our guests are always looked after and as you can see from your review if there is anything a guest needs more of (such as butter) we are more than happy to oblige. Thank you for your feedback it is always most welcome.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Lone female traveller, always feel very safe at the Aston Hotel. The refurbished rooms on the ground floor very stylish, spacious and comfortable. Will definitely be staying again at the Aston in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Elaine P
Thanks for your review. As a lone female traveller myself I am so happy to hear that you feel safe and looked after when you stay at the hotel. Our refurbishment is now fully complete and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Leeds,
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night at the Aston which is shortly going to be rebranded as a Holiday Inn. I could not fault the accomodation. Our room was clean, spacious and very modern. I had one of the best nights sleep I have ever had in an hotel and the full english breakfast could not be faulted. With friendly staff and a good location at the side of the A1, I hope the standards are kept up when it changes ownership.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am happy to tell you that the hotel is not changing hands when it becomes a Holiday Inn and all staff and management will be the same.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton Aycliffe
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Coatham Mundeville
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m? Share your experiences!