“Enjoyable stay”

Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Newton Aycliffe
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We had reservations about stayting here as it was under renovation, but we were very pleased with our choice, The room was very large, breakfast and evening meal were very good. The only downside was finding the hotel. The sign at the end of the road said straight ahead, we went straight ahead and ended up at a farm.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
patmacinnes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for your comments. Please accept my apologies if the signage was confusing. We are undergoing a full audit of this at the moment.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Second time here, we had a lovely room very clean . Ate in the restaurant food delicious. You get a fantastic breakfast!! Staff very friendly and helpful. Hope when they change to Holiday Inn not a lot changes.

Room Tip: Never had a bad room
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. Your comments are very much appreciated. I am pleased to say that we have rebranded as a Holiday Inn, however all services staff and management remain the same.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 18 February 2014

My partner & I booked to stay 2 nights over my birthday weekend using a buyagift.com voucher which included breakfast, we picked the Aston as the best of a reasonable bunch of hotels in the area we wanted to visit. Having read some of the previous reviews we were prepared for disappointment but hopeful that we'd still have a good time. We owe the Aston team an apology for ever doubting them. The hotel is less than a minute from the A1M but you wouldn't know it was there, our room backed on to the road and we couldn't hear a thing day or night! The double room, number 10 on the ground floor, was warm, spotlessly clean and had a king size bed as standard.
The bathroom was also immaculate with 1 large towel and 2 small to hand plus another large towel in the wardrobe along with 2 spare pillows. The hot water was plentiful and easily adjusted so after using the free gym facilities I could scrub my sweaty bits for as long as I wanted! The gym had a good choice of equipment with plenty of space to use it and everything was in full working order.
We had breakfast both mornings, consisting of hot & cold buffet, there was a very good selection of both hot & cold food, all well cooked and or presented despite a large coach party being present and ravenous on the first morning.
The staff were friendly, helpful but not false or intrusive. I particularly liked Catherine on reception who's smile was ever present :) All in all a brilliant weekend away and we'll stay at the Aston again next time we venture Ooooop north!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
patmacinnes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We are so pleased that you chose to come to the hotel and that you enjoyed your stay. We are very proud to say that the hotel has a 90% improvement rating on the site. Your comments are very important to us and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

The interior of this hotel is superbly contemporary and very elegant. Our (superior) room on the ground floor was very spacious, quiet and comfortable. Evening meal was very nice and there is a good wine list. Breakfast too was very good, but although we were there a few minutes after opening time the food was not really hot, which was a shame. However, I would stay there again any time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We have taken on board your feedback regarding the breakfast. Many thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner decided last minute to have a night away in a hotel, we chose the Aston as wed stayed before and it was quite dated however clean. The room was advertised at £29.

We had been given a newly decorated room on the bottom floor, it had a kingsize bed as standard (not two beds pushed together.) flat screen tv, brand new modern bathroom and decor.

The room was absolutely immaculate! I find myself looking for dirt in hotels but nothing at all could be found.

Staff are extremely helpful and friendly and I would definitely recommend a stay in the newly decorated bottom floor!

• Stayed: February 2014
patmacinnes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you for your review. It is so nice to hear from guests that have stayed before and after our extensive refurbishment. It is lovely to hear that all of the hard work that has gone into the facelift has been worthwhile and that most importantly the guests are happy with what we have done. We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife and myself were looking forward to a long awaited weekend break courtesy of a Travelzoo offer. After reading previous reviews we thought we were in for a nice weekend. Wrong!

We were given a room on the 1st floor which was clean & spacious enough, but only a single bath towel and no bath. We asked for a second bath towel. Went down for an evening meal and again requested a second bath towel. The bar/restaurant is clinical without atmosphere and the waitresses were similar.

No self-respecting chef would have served the shoulder of lamb my wife received without providing the necessary Black & Decker power tools to cut through the meat. It was tough as old boots. The vegetable side dish was stone cold.

On our way back to the room we again enquired about the second bath towel with promises that "one will be sent up straight away".

On our way to breakfast the next morning further enquiries were made as to the whereabouts of the second bath towel. "I'll have one delivered immediately sir" now adding some extra urgency to the matter.

Breakfast itself consisted of a reasonable selection of fresh fruit, cereal and full English breakfast - all of which were as cold as each other. Even the served coffee was just tepid.

A final en-suite inspection after breakfast revealed no second bath towel had been provided immediately or otherwise. This confirmed our decision not to bother with the second night.

Polite enquiries as to why we were checking out early were met with "well I did ask for a towel to be delivered sir" and "we normally have a good reputation for food" neither of which were satisfactory so we checked out anyway with a promise from the receptionist that the Manager would be informed and would contact us later that day - needless to say the Manager is still looking for the second bath towel!

Maybe standards will be improved once Holiday Inn take over - but whatever happens we won't be returning. Now then, where is Basil's telephone number?

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. Firstly please let me apologise for the issues you had while staying for the weekend at the hotel. I have spoken to chef regarding the lamb dish you had and he asked me to pass on his apologies for your dissatisfaction. We genuinely do not get comments such as this regarding our food and I hope that you accept that we have taken this on board in order to improve our service. I am at a loss as to why you did not receive your extra towel, this is a very basic request for us to fulfil. When I asked the members of staff on duty why this had not happened they have stated that your room number was taken down incorrectly. Frankly this is not good enough from our point of view and we have undertaken retraining to avoid this issue happening to another guest. Unfortunately I was out of the office during your stay and did not get an opportunity to speak to you regarding the issues that you had. I would very much like to reassure you that these are not the standards that we aspire to within the hotel and that our normal level of service is much higher. If you would like to speak to me regarding the problems that arose, please feel free to contact me on 01325 329 600 or on patriciam@astonhotels.co.uk. Once again on behalf of the team please accept our sincerest apologies.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton Aycliffe
Travelodge Darlington Hotel
Travelodge Darlington Hotel
#4 of 21 in Darlington
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham

Been to Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m? Share your experiences!