The County
Premier Inn Durham (Newton Aycliffe) Hotel(Newton Aycliffe)(Great Value!)
US$133
US$91
  • Pool
US$79
US$72
Park Head Country Hotel and Restaurant(Bishop Auckland)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$69
US$40
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel(Walworth)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$71
Travelocity
US$120
US$94
Priceline
All reviewsvillage greenbroke our journeysteak pieadjoining buildingstarters and main coursesoverlooking the greenturkish delight ice creambottle of tap watermashseasonal vegetablespresented beautifullyvery nice atmospherecheese boardfish cakes to startbottle of red wineeggs benedictfamily meal
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Well what can I say this B&B was way more than we expected first we were shown to a separate house away from the pub, were it's been split down to different rooms :O)
Up few stairs we got shown our room by a member of staff and what a room very highly decorated both the bedroom and bathroom were top spec, clean and very well serviced. We never managed evening meal there but the food looked good from when we booked in.
The breakfast choice was very good from omelet to full English, cereal, orange juice,fruit we had two lot's toast coffee & tea all waitress to our table. We can not fault this B&B well worth a stay would stay again.

Room Tip: What good we say room 5 100% but sure the other rooms was as nice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I can't add a lot to the recent, very positive, reviews. I stayed here on Saturday 20/4/13, having found and booked on the Internet at late notice. When I arrived at 8pm the restaurant was already busy, but the proprietress knew I was coming and took the time to make me feel welcome. The room was absolutely spotless, with everything you could expect in terms of amenities.

Dinner was delicious and, more impressively, all of the (young) restaurant staff were incredibly polite and attentive. The customer service ethos has been absolutely drilled into everyone here. Terrific choice of breakfasts the next day and only sorry it was such a fleeting visit.

An easy 5* recommendation and I will definitely visit again. Thanks and well done to all at The County.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2013

It is not often, with a 6 month old daughter, that we get the opportunity for an evening away. However, with my business taking me into the North East we decided to take the opportunity for a night away.

We stayed in the hotel and ate in the restaurant. The rooms were clean and spacious and had everything required. The location is quiet and if its lively you are looking for, look elsewhere.

I am lucky enough to eat our a lot with my job and I have to say the food is easily described as delicious. The atmosphere was nice and the service good.

Little icing on the cake was breakfast to be served at 8.00am - we had to get back for our daughter and they kindly opened up half an hour early for us in the morning - the little things as they say. Breakfast was excellent and we were on our way.

This is a real hidden gem and I would urge people to visit. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2013

My husband and I stayed here on 17/4/13, having found and booked on the internet. In the village of Aycliffe, overlooking the village green, an easy drive from Darlington, Stockton, Durham, etc. We arrived earlier than the usual check-in time of 2pm but were made extremely welcome with a tray of tea and coffee (no charge) in the restaurant building for the few minutes it took to ensure the room was already free, cleaned, etc. The rooms are in a very attractive building next to the restaurant itself. We had booked a superior double but as the place was not full Colette, the lovely friendly Manager put us in a luxury double - and it was just that. On the first floor, and if you visit, ask for Room No.4 - you will not be disappointed I think. Lovely, spacious room, beautifully decorated with a huge and very comfy bed, with a couple of armchairs, desk, Wi-Fi, flat screen t.v., etc., adjoining that a walk-through wardrobe area (wish I had that at home, it would have held all my clothes,) and then on into a beautiful spacious bathroom with twin basins, bath and shower. Again, beautifully decorated and very swish. Everywhere was absolutely spotless. There was a tray of tea/coffee/biscuits in the room, with, unusually, more than enough of each - I have found in other hotels etc., the supplies are usually quite miserly, but not here. And if there had been anything lacking I am sure this would have been immediately rectified. Downstairs was a little lounge area and patio doors leading out to a decked and attractive courtyard - which I appreciated as unfortunately I do smoke, so this was handy to nip out to have a ciggy. In case of rain there are umbrellas in the hall for use of the guests.

We decided to eat in the restaurant that evening and were pleased we did. My husband had a starter of sautéed garlic king prawns - I tried one - they were superb, the best we have ever had, and as we have been world travellers for many years, that's saying something. He followed this with the fish pie, again excellent, I had roast pheasant, likewise excellent, and we shared seasonal vegetables that were cooked just right - not mushy but not hard and underdone either. The portions were fine for us, we did not have room for pudding, although those available sounded good. The restaurant bar serves the usual range of beers, spirits, etc. and mineral water etc. was available, but a nice touch here was instead of trying to sell you overpriced fizzy or still water, you are supplied without asking with a bottle of chilled tap water, no charge.
We had a reasonably priced bottle of red wine (the Black Shiraz) which turned out to be so good we had another to take back to our room.

The next morning we returned to the restaurant building for a full breakfast, which again was excellent, the bacon was especially tasty.

Although check-out is billed as 10am, we were told to take our time, there was no hurry.

Every single staff member we encountered, from the cleaning lady, to waitress, to bar staff, to Manager, were all so friendly, efficient, helpful, and welcoming. We would recommend this place to anyone, either to stay or just for a meal, and will no doubt return.

Room Tip: Try Room 4 - lovely.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2013

My husband booked this as we were spending the weekend in the North East and The County was ideally situated near our Hotel. Food and service was very good; restaurant was busy and had a good atmosphere. Good sized portions which unfortunately meant no room for a dessert. Will visit again next time we are in the area.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple